Not If.....but When

Rick Walker

Rick,

Sorry about that injury. I too have experienced injuries that have changed my whole life plan. Keep your head up, you'll heal and achieve your goals. I know that injuries have made me monitor my body a lot more.

-HH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• Bill Piche

• EricMilfeld

• vince

Rick,

I remember on drsquat.com you once said that an individual shows true strength through character, not just from physical exertions. I agree.

From what I've seen you'd displayed an enormous amount of character.

You will overcome this obstacle, of that I'm sure. Before you know it you'll be breaking PR's in grip feats.

stay strong dude and God bless. :rock

Vince

We do push our bodies sometimes too far, but this is what makes us the people we are. If we weren't doing strongman stuff, then we'd probably be climbing mountains or driving cars fast or some other even more dangerous sport.

Rick, you'll be back. As David says, this makes us what we are.

Pain is temporary, a bent object stays bent......unless you bend it back.

Rick, take the time to re-hab properly. You are still YOUNG! Remember that. Look at Slim for example.

Rick,

As tothers have said you are a true inspiration on this board! I'm praying for your recovery. Go slow and let your body heal, then take it to a whole new level! :rock

Went to the ortho today. Since I am a high end athlete-he doesnt want to touch it. Referred me to another guy who handles sports but he cant see me until the 12th of January :angry::(

It pays to have family in high places. Called my sis who works at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. She knows an excellent ortho and she is calling him and trying to get me in this week.

If surgery is needed, I want it NOW-not three weeks from now. I need to get fixed and get rehabing asap.

Thanks guys-I will be taking a picture of the tear and the spike and sending it to Wannagrip for everyones viewing pleasure-

VICODIN IS MY FRIEND.... :whacked

Rick Walker :rock

Rick - that totally sucks.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, dude. But rest assured I, like EVERYONE else KNOW you'll be back, stronger and harder than ever.

You do realise that you setting a PR on your damaged shoulder is probably better than anything I've ever done in terms of effort, right? If pushing yourself was an Olympic Sport, you'd be bringing home the Gold for the USA.

Funny Pat-I said the same thing on the way to the ER. I held up the spike and said, "Pain is temporary. THIS is forever."

On the way home from the ER and stoned on vicodin, I made the comment to my wife and dad that I am impressed that I had enough force to tear the muscle fighting against a nail. I mean, most people would just not bend the nail-I tore a muscle.

My Dad and wife both said, "We are impressed that you are impressed with that."

:happy

Look lout leg press machine-HERE I COME!

In true Rick fashion I am turning this into a tattoo moment.

When everthing heals-I am getting The Widow Maker-the exact spike that did it-tattooed on my pec and shoulder.

:cool

Can you do us another favour and tattoo "Festina Lente" somewhere on your person where you're likely to see it, daily? ;)

[Added]

Oh, right. "Festina Lente" is Latin, meaning "make haste, slowly".

Basically, get there as fast as you can but with due caution.

Edited by Razorman

Man that sucks! You'll heal and be better than ever! :rock:rock

Since Rick seem's to be taking it all so well guys, now's our chance to capitalize on his tragedy: Just think, now a whole bunch of us can honestly say we're stronger than Rick Walker! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Get well soon Rick!

Funny Pat-I said the same thing on the way to the ER. I held up the spike and said, "Pain is temporary. THIS is forever."

On the way home from the ER and stoned on vicodin, I made the comment to my wife and dad that I am impressed that I had enough force to tear the muscle fighting against a nail. I mean, most people would just not bend the nail-I tore a muscle.

My Dad and wife both said, "We are impressed that you are impressed with that."

:happy

Look lout leg press machine-HERE I COME!

:mosher

Work around it Rick. It whatever fashion you can. Do no-sets for grippers, work your off side, etc.

I have a feeling you will come back stronger than ever given your determination! :rock

Just think, now a whole bunch of us can honestly say we're stronger than Rick Walker!

:D:laugh

I still have my left hand Eric ;)

Setting up an appointment in Pittsburgh today with an excellent sport orthopaedic surgeon. I will keep everyone up to speed as to what he decides is best.

Until then-lots of thumb work and no set closes. Also-super gripper work.

Did leg press last night-YUCK! I now remember why I hate that thing.

-UPDATE-

10:30 tomorrow with Ortho in Pittsburgh. He told me on the phone that most people dont get them repaired-but because of my situation-it will most likely need it. He also forewarned me that it is a long and tedious process and often times a disfiguring process (scarring).

Frankenstein :whistel

I feel grief for ya bro! Hope everything at the Doctors works out for you.I have come back from serious injury before,but never surgery so I can't imagine how you must feel.

I have high admiration for you,and all the hard work you have done for others and myself in the sport of Grip strength.Heal fast,and my Family and I will keep you in prayer.

best wishes,

John Mannino

Sorry to hear about your injury. You'll be back and stronger than ever I'm sure. You'll be in my prayers.

Damn. That hurts just thinking about it. Your training intensity is a great credit yourself, just as your recovery intensity soon will be. :happy Take your time and come back stronger.

• 4 months later...

It's been almost 5 months now since it happened. It is finally starting to heal and I am finally able to lift on it. I am far from out of the woods yet as a little bit of lifting on it leaves me in pain!

Pat mentioned how he could not tell I was injured at NOS2. For a week after that, I thought for sure I had finished the job. My wife had to listen to me whine as the pain was excruciating.

Bending is still out of he question. Cant chest crush a #2 let alone a nail. But, all in all, it is getting better.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes these past 5 months. They have kept me on track-