10,000 hrs

PBODY101

Hello I'm not sure if this has been asked or done before. I keep watching videos etc online. And I see everyone trying to just go for a PR doing their max grip efforts etc. 

And I keep seeing people saying 7 seconds or whatever.

Has anyone exclusively just worked on there grip a little everyday. And told their muscles this is the way of life. Kinda like iron workers or whatever. 

Slowly working on their muscle stamina. If so I would love to hear your story and if you have done both I would like to hear your story.

I'm starting this journey with one forearm being 13.5 inches and the other being pretty darn close to 14 inches. 

I've been using grippers everywhere day sometimes I use lighter resistance and go for more reps other days I've been doing harder resistance and going for longer holds.

I also bought this thing called a quad block and I've been doing some pinching exercises with I wide pinch and a shallow pinch. And crimping.

Although with the shallow pinch I think I need to go down in weight.

I started with a 25lb plate which is like 11 or something kilograms and I just asked 2.5lb plate to it which is like xx kilograms.

The crimp is okay for four fingers at that weight I feel like I could probably go for hours that's an over exaggeration maybe but the struggle when I start crimping with two fingers wow I haven't dared to go down to one.

I have a few more toys coming.

But I like the idea of not doing max overload and slowly work the weight up. If it can be done over an extended amount of time as long as I begin to incorporate it in just a Dailey routine and I don't get distracted by something else with my bird brain.

Thanks for letting me write hope you guys are having a wonderful memorial day weekend.

• Like 2

Sorry about the typos I got a new phone and it autocorrects differently then my iPhone. It was a hard read hope it wasn't too hard to decipher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBODY101 said:

Sorry about the typos I got a new phone and it autocorrects differently then my iPhone. It was a hard read hope it wasn't too hard to decipher.

haha not at all. I have the same issue. 

Sounds like a good routine. David Horne trains or trained like this... He figures if manual laborers hands can adapt to working everyday you can train grip everyday if you are smart about it.

I'm in construction so 3 days a week grip plus my job is plenty, but i'd like to train for volume for a few months at some point.  Just listen to your body and make sure you are recovering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 10:27 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

haha not at all. I have the same issue. 

Sounds like a good routine. David Horne trains or trained like this... He figures if manual laborers hands can adapt to working everyday you can train grip everyday if you are smart about it.

I'm in construction so 3 days a week grip plus my job is plenty, but i'd like to train for volume for a few months at some point.  Just listen to your body and make sure you are recovering. 

I cut trees for a living, probably another reason why I don't want to fully commit to maxing out over general strength. I remember a few years ago I went hard on forearms and I couldn't hold a saw for a few days. I can't have that happen again unless we have some down time lol. I kinda like how that arm wrestler dude trains the one from Canada. I've thought about training like that for years but every time I do I have someone saying that's not plausible or a good way to do it. But they're mainly coming from the body building world so I get it. With that aspect of muscle hyprotophy  and such. But I just imagine us more in our primal days where we had to consistently utilize the same muscles day in day out kind of reminds me of when I first started henching trees my whole body was sore for almost the first year. Now my body's conditioned and it doesn't bother me fortunately. I did take a day yesterday with barbequing and hanging out I hope yall had a good day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PBODY101 said:

I cut trees for a living, probably another reason why I don't want to fully commit to maxing out over general strength. I remember a few years ago I went hard on forearms and I couldn't hold a saw for a few days. I can't have that happen again unless we have some down time lol. I kinda like how that arm wrestler dude trains the one from Canada. I've thought about training like that for years but every time I do I have someone saying that's not plausible or a good way to do it. But they're mainly coming from the body building world so I get it. With that aspect of muscle hyprotophy  and such. But I just imagine us more in our primal days where we had to consistently utilize the same muscles day in day out kind of reminds me of when I first started henching trees my whole body was sore for almost the first year. Now my body's conditioned and it doesn't bother me fortunately. I did take a day yesterday with barbequing and hanging out I hope yall had a good day.

I never max out either.. Your job is like twice as hard as mine so its smart not to push it. Lots of awkward angles pretty easy for something to go snap if you over do it. 

But you can probably go a lot harder than you realize once you get going. When I first got into bending, I bent 3 60ds and used the wrist developer way to much and got really bad tendonitis in the supination motion. It hurt to do things with a nail gun for a couple months.  It takes a while but the tendons do get conditioned to this stuff. 

On 5/31/2023 at 5:54 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I never max out either.. Your job is like twice as hard as mine so its smart not to push it. Lots of awkward angles pretty easy for something to go snap if you over do it. 

But you can probably go a lot harder than you realize once you get going. When I first got into bending, I bent 3 60ds and used the wrist developer way to much and got really bad tendonitis in the supination motion. It hurt to do things with a nail gun for a couple months.  It takes a while but the tendons do get conditioned to this stuff. 

My job really isn't that hard. Your giving me way too much credit lol. Idk if I've been over doing it but we've been training a new guy for the past few months and I haven't used a saw when I first grabbed it ouch lmfao after a few minutes the pain went away but I had to use both hands to grab a smaller log lol. I took it fairly easy Wednesday as well it's my son's boyscout night so I went straight there after work and didn't get home until 930. I held a couple of rounds of "pinch block" with that quad block thing I got. Tonight I'm kinda taking it easy too it was hot as balls today lmfao and I'm worn. I've done some gripper things with the coc S I tried the T and I was straining a bit. I also have these indian club things I'm using to mimic the pole saw and hanger poles to condition those muscles better so I'm not sore from work. But I was doing some wrist things with them moving it up and down like a hand shake and rotating it side to side. 

But I am spent. Wish me luck on car repairs tomorrow hopefully it's not too much.

Have a good night 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PBODY101 said:

I forgot to ask about bending stuff how do you go about that just grab things and bend them?

You could buy some 60d, or 60d timber ties from Home Depot, plus some wraps. Id recommend a beginner kit from EatChalkGetBig just to get things going, then some 60ds and timber ties from Home Depot and just progress from there.  Some sledge work to condition your wrists would be a good idea.  I really recommend bending in both Ironmind pads and suedes... The Ironminds make you appreciate bending in suedes. 

You wanna find a bending style that you feel comfortable with, use plenty of chalk and keep those wraps tight. 

• Like 2