Reps and RGC to calculate peak strength?

AdriaanRobert96

So I’ve heard some people say that they count how much reps they need at a certain RGC to increase peak RGC on a max gripper..

Usually I get between 4-7 reps on my average #3, now that I work with my harder #3 I plan on building it up to hopefully 5 reps within these 2 months..

I got a rep PR of 2 today..

My question is how does one calculate that, how does reps set you at a higher RGC?

So let’s say I have 6 reps with a 188RGC #3.5, then if I build it up to 9 reps it sets me up at around 225rgc max..

Strength increases that’s obvious, but how does on calculate?

I thought of this too, but too many variables to consider. It’s not like using the strength standard calculator that I use for over head press and other exercises. People set the gripper in various widths. RGC doesn’t always feel the same across the board, either.

usually, a 5 rep max will give around a 20lb one rep max. But that’s going off of traditional lifts.
also, two handed or two legged.

with grippers, you probably would be close by cutting that above number in half…10lb;  1 repmax off of a 5 rep max poundage. 

Edited by slazbob
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, slazbob said:

I thought of this too, but too many variables to consider. It’s not like using the strength standard calculator that I use for over head press and other exercises. People set the gripper in various widths. RGC doesn’t always feel the same across the board, either.

usually, a 5 rep max will give around a 20lb one rep max. But that’s going off of traditional lifts.
also, two handed or two legged.

with grippers, you probably would be close by cutting that above number in half…10lb;  1 repmax off of a 5 rep max poundage. 

Yeah that’s the thing with it, but if I am not mistaken I think I heard @Ivan Cuk talk about this..

Maybe he could shed some light on it😁?

So you’re saying, a 5 rep max would give a 10lbs increase on a max?

Sounds fairly decent!

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yeah that’s the thing with it, but if I am not mistaken I think I heard @Ivan Cuk talk about this..

Sounds fairly decent!

Yeah, it would be very close to that.

with the same strictness on all attempts. Even using a block you can sometimes open the handles more than you need to and make it harder. So you see it can be very difficult to plan things out like this with grippers.

….no doubt tho, if you can block set any number RGC for 5, you can block set 10 more pounds for one.

I know you don’t really use them (block sets), but just try to be very consistent with the depth of your set. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

Yeah, it would be very close to that.

with the same strictness on all attempts. Even using a block you can sometimes open the handles more than you need to and make it harder. So you see it can be very difficult to plan things out like this with grippers.

….no doubt tho, if you can block set any number RGC for 5, you can block set 10 more pounds for one.

I know you don’t really use them (block sets), but just try to be very consistent with the depth of your set. 

Hmm very interesting for sure, I only do wide or ccs but if this is somewhat accurate.. my heavy #3 should set me up at around 185-187rgc..

We’ll see😅

It's true what slazbob said about dividing by 2 since you're only using one hand.

However, I think these formulas doesn't work good for grippers, at least not for me. It works accurately (like on any other lift, as long as you divide it by 2) on lower levels. Once I get up to harder levels it doesn't work anymore because the setting becomes such a big hurdle for me.

They work great on other one handed grip lifts though, where the technique and the awkward strength requirement of setting a gripper is out of the way.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hmm very interesting for sure, I only do wide or ccs but if this is somewhat accurate.. my heavy #3 should set me up at around 185-187rgc..

We’ll see😅

If you hit your heavy #3 for 5 which might be 160-165 RGC, then you would be at 170-175 RGC for a single. I believe that's what @slazbob is saying, correct me if I'm wrong.

Although I don't really think you can "calculate" it, it's gonna be so individual how much better your 1RM is. You can figure it out with your own experience but I don't think anyone can tell you a formula to figure it out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's true what slazbob said about dividing by 2 since you're only using one hand.

However, I think these formulas doesn't work good for grippers, at least not for me. It works accurately (like on any other lift, as long as you divide it by 2) on lower levels. Once I get up to harder levels it doesn't work anymore because the setting becomes such a big hurdle for me.

They work great on other one handed grip lifts though, where the technique and the awkward strength requirement of setting a gripper is out of the way.

Yeah it’s not easy not be accurate, but even a slight estimation is fair enough for me😄

2 hours ago, EmilBB said:

If you hit your heavy #3 for 5 which might be 160-165 RGC, then you would be at 170-175 RGC for a single. I believe that's what @slazbob is saying, correct me if I'm wrong.

Although I don't really think you can "calculate" it, it's gonna be so individual how much better your 1RM is. You can figure it out with your own experience but I don't think anyone can tell you a formula to figure it out. 

Yeah that’s about it, even tho I already closed my #3.5 which only assuming is average 175rgc I’d realistically expect atleast a 5rgc increase by the end of these 2 months😅

Well see.. Goal is to get up there to atleast 190+ by the end of the year..

With high hopes😂

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yeah, there are many variables to consider with this type of calculation…which hurts its formula. 
the only thing missing is consistency in all of the reps and grippers- it must be the same every time and it’s not doable with grippers as a whole. Even with the plates at my house, and the gym, can be off when I press, so I’m left with some uncertainty without calibrated plates. But close enough.

but, I think with a choker gripper you might have a chance. Throw out the variables of setting and focus on the width of the close, and I’d be happy with that….at least with your own personal numbers you’d like to track.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 2:21 PM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Sounds fairly decent!

Its not meant to be followed to its exact but rather an estimation, some just need the required reps and others need more or less. In general however you can certainly use it to gauge how far you are from a gripper.

• Like 1

It's not exact but this thread talks about a 1rm formula. 

tl;dr 1rm = (RGC*reps) / 60 + RGC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, devinhoo said:

It's not exact but this thread talks about a 1rm formula. 

tl;dr 1rm = (RGC*reps) / 60 + RGC

Ohh ok this is interesting and new to me, thanks lad!

I will definitely give it a look!