My #3 cert

C8Myotome

Congrats dude good job. Also forearm looks absolutely huge in your picture. 

• Like 1

Congrats, great close!

• Like 1

Very well done! What's the next goal? MM2 should be a walk in the park for you. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, stranger said:

Very well done! What's the next goal? MM2 should be a walk in the park for you. 

Thx, GHP8 is main goal which is also indirectly training for the 3.5, MM2 can happen easily at some point during that

• Like 1

RIGHT ON GOOD FOR YOU

Hard work pays off 💪

congratulations you have earned it

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, John Knowlton said:

RIGHT ON GOOD FOR YOU

Hard work pays off 💪

congratulations you have earned it

Thanks, John. I ended up mechanically breaking in this 3 with 30 full mechanical closes and it ended up rating 155, so I am guessing it was 161+ on first close. It was the hardest 3 I've ever closed and the heaviest 3 that I own, and I have a lot of 3's. It is also 2.5 mm narrower than my 154, so I was expecting the rating to drop, but it appears to just be an extremely stiff spring...there must be some variation in the alloy composition as a factor that affects rgc, not just spread and handle mount depth alone since my 154 rated 3 is 2.5 mm wider spread, but 1 lb lighter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

I am guessing it was 161+ on first close

Just wanted to make some input too coz the information is useful for some guys:

I have tried to certify 2 times and end up with understanding that first 1-3 closes are lighter that following ones.

Out of package gripper is more or less “oiled” but the friction increases just right after those first reps.
It starts to squeak badly and it sounds like a duck 😅

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, insane.warrior said:

I have tried to certify 2 times and end up with understanding that first 1-3 closes are lighter that following ones.

Out of package gripper is more or less “oiled” but the friction increases just right after those first reps.

Thought I was crazy. Experienced the same thing…out of the package is easier the first few closes. 

• Like 1

I notice it when I on reps too. Smooth to start, then squeaks on reps 10-20 and then oil penetrates and it’s quiet again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

This was my 2nd attempt, my first time i got flagged for swiping the card too fast despite closing it. That's why I exaggerated the card pause for so long this time so it could not be questioned.

The first attempt gripper I had Matt rate, it was 152 on its 3rd close, and then lowered to 146, so I've always assumed they just lose about 6+ lbs after being broken in, which is why I imagine my 155 was originally 161 because it definitely felt like it..it was MUCH harder than ccs'ing a 158 standard gripper in training

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

it was MUCH harder than ccs'ing a 158 standard gripper in training

Yeah, it really is. Same feelings.

I believe the reasons are: poor knurling on latest CoCs, CoC 3 is wider (sometimes much wider) than Cobalt, the swipe is not that smooth (depends on metal I guess).

My second attempt CoC has almost no knurling and it’s 77-78mm wide.

it’s a pain in the a to even set it 😬

Glad you closed yours!

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Yeah, it really is. Same feelings.

I believe the reasons are: poor knurling on latest CoCs, CoC 3 is wider (sometimes much wider) than Cobalt, the swipe is not that smooth (depends on metal I guess).

My second attempt CoC has almost no knurling and it’s 77-78mm wide.

it’s a pain in the a to even set it 😬

Glad you closed yours!

It's not going to be what you or anyone would want to hear, but it all comes down to were you strong enough to close it at that point in time.

The 158 standard I've closed CCS is a super wide iron error model with a spread well over 3", it is the 2nd widest gripper own out of like maybe 50 grippers now, with a 154 coc3 being the widest. I can CCS both. I do have a 158 Cobalt also but I don't use it much as I prefer the wider 158 iron because it is better practice for wide grippers, to be using wide grippers.

I don't think those are valid reasons that the knurling wasn't good, you've got people on here like @dubyagrip coating the handles in oil and still closing it. That's strength, you can't say the knurling wasn't good when it was all oil, for example. I would not say that knurling adds strength that isn't there when it comes to crush based gripping, not friction based gripping. If you have strong palm muscles built up there should be nowhere for the gripper to slide.

I'm not sure what you mean by a swipe not being smooth but grippers are not made to be easy, the spring warps in all directions at final close, it is supposed to be hard, the handles end up pointing in opposite direction with really wide springs, if you look at a heavy choked gripper or a heavy gripper in an RGC you will see how weird it looks.

I don't think that calling the spread too wide or hard to set is a valid reason either. CoC grippers are known for being wide and some are exceptionally wide, to do something like a certification it is wise to anticipate this extra wide spread of not only a CoC 3 but a brand new CoC 3. If you get proficient at setting any spread length gripper then this is one less thing to think about.

Just sharing my input and some constructive criticism. I completely know what it is like to fail this cert, I was super frustrated that I attempted it after 6 months of training, closed it with both hands, but then was told the card work made it invalid when I thought I was already doing it right on my audition video which passed. I too had my list of random irrelevant reasons why my first cert didn't go through,  even though at the end of the day my issue was one thing rules based: the card swipe was too fast. And then on my 2nd attempt the gripper was 9 rgc heavier so I really had to get it together to have it go well. But I did put it off for a year and a half until doing my 2nd attempt until I felt ready again.

For my 2nd attempt my audition video actually failed at first, they said I was still swiping too fast, the rules say to clearly pause the card so that was my main focus of what to fix...I don't do exaggerated pauses in training regularly but it was necessary to pass the new audition video and the cert. I did not want to fail again for swiping the card too fast again.

I hope that you do plan to do a 3rd attempt and to succeed at it. This feat is hard for a lot of reasons. There is a lot of pressure. You have to plan a strength peak and use it on an unpredictable brand new gripper that could be really easy, average, or extremely difficult, and not make a single mistake during the process while following all the rules. It all happens very fast and then it's over. You should be as overprepared as possible within reason to handle whatever gripper they may send. I ended up getting sick for a week after and I don't know if it was related to stress or coincidental/seasonal allergies but I was eating mucinex for a week after. I also did the cert the weekend of after my finals week which is an extremely stressful time also. I was presenting research at a ceremony 2 days before I did the cert, super busy week, but even after spending only 3 weeks preparing for it i just knew it was time.

Now to train for the 3.5 cert..

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I don't think those are valid reasons that the knurling wasn't good, you've got people on here like @dubyagrip coating the handles in oil and still closing it. That's strength, you can't say the knurling wasn't good when it was all oil, for example. I would not say that knurling adds strength that isn't there when it comes to crush based gripping, not friction based gripping. If you have strong palm muscles built up there should be nowhere for the gripper to slide.

Would you have closed it without chalk? 

Just now, slazbob said:

Would you have closed it without chalk? 

I could probably right now close an average 3 with no chalk, probably with oil too. I've been closing average 3's regularly for the past 2 years now.

But specifically my cert gripper on my cert day probably not, I had to give it my all in every department as it was likely 161 rgc before being broken in. Even with chalk and even after being broken in, it is still a hard gripper.

I don't train without chalk so that would be a new unfamiliar factor to add in. I do file down knurling on my GHP's and Standards because I don't like excessively sharp knurling, I've never had a problem with even the knurling on heavy grips even though I don't train with heavy grips. Chalk just prevents sweat build up to make dry conditions...relying on "good" knurling is relying on it sticking into your skin and being sharp to not move.

I also am unaware of any of the above mentioned knurling changes with CoC and I own 6 number 3's some of which are 2 or more years old now and some very recent.

Just making basic points that they did not suddenly start making the grippers unclosable...some are harder than others and that's why you have to over-prepare just to be prepared for it. That's really all I'm getting at here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

I still believe that knurling quality would affect one rep max:

152 CCS on Standard with sharp knurling is not 152 CCS on bald CoC 3 even if they are evenly wide, based on my experience with wide 149 unstamped Standard + bumper and certification CoC 3 152 rgc 🙂

As for the oiled gripper argument,  @dubyagrip was closing 165 RGC from CCS when he attempted oiled CoC 3 as far as I remember. Which means he could do reps with CoC 3 from CCS.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2023 at 8:09 PM, Cannon said:

I notice it when I on reps too. Smooth to start, then squeaks on reps 10-20 and then oil penetrates and it’s quiet again. 

What is the ideal oil to be using on gripper springs?  

1 hour ago, RITParent15 said:

What is the ideal oil to be using on gripper springs?  

I don’t know about ideal but I like 3-in-one because it’s cheap, readily available, doesn’t smell strong and lasts a while. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I don’t know about ideal but I like 3-in-one because it’s cheap, readily available, doesn’t smell strong and lasts a while. 

Do you oil periodically for maintenance or just wait until a spring starts making noise?

35 minutes ago, RITParent15 said:

Do you oil periodically for maintenance or just wait until a spring starts making noise?

I probably over-oil. I do it periodically to keep them pretty oily. If rust starts, that's it, there's not much going back. Even if you can get the surface rust off, that area is usually left discolored. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I probably over-oil. I do it periodically to keep them pretty oily. If rust starts, that's it, there's not much going back. Even if you can get the surface rust off, that area is usually left discolored. 

Good tip, thanks.  My father taught us to always clean and oil our shotguns after hunting or shooting clay pigeons.  Even if we were just handling them, he would wipe them down with a rag with a "light residue" of oil.  He cautioned us that our hands contain a small amount of moisture and salt.  So even finger prints could result in rust if not wiped away.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool website and just purchased your Gripper program! Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2023 at 7:21 AM, C8Myotome said:

I was told that I cannot put my website link in my signature here so I removed it.

Random question, how do you add a signature?

• Like 1