Body weight and Grip Strength

John Knowlton

Question to the group universe.

Does body weight and grip strength have a correlation. Recently, I've been dropping weight and at first it didn't affect my grip strength. Once I hit the 10 pound mark it seems like I've lost a little bit of grip strength.? Is this just me overreacting or am I getting too old or ?

When you lose weight, some of that weight will often be from muscle loss 🫤 it depends on your lifestyle and how you're losing the weight. But also, heavier people compositionally have more fat-free mass than lighter people. Basically, just by being heavier you have more muscle. That's why people trying to break lifting records get all big and fat. I've put on around 15 pounds in the last year and a half and am much stronger in every way, even on lifts I never train.

How much strength have you lost, if you can quantify it somehow? Maybe you just had a bad day, have been training differently, etc.

Bigger muscles have different angles of insertion than when smaller - which changes the leverage across the joints - changing what can be done.