Baby Inch Dumbbells

domedude

7 hours ago, stranger said:

Jake Sahalenely? 

Yeah thats it. 

6 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Based on a quick search, Jacob Sahlaney had dumbbells available thru Fat Bastard Barbell Co.

And Steve Slater may have made Inch replicas prior to his MonsterBell line.  I'd have to do more research to firm up details.

Jake had 100, 125, 150, 172 and 200'sv but for whatever reason doesn't make them/have them made any more 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stranger said:

Jake had 100, 125, 150, 172 and 200'sv but for whatever reason doesn't make them/have them made any more 

It would be nice to see the other sizes made again in the US.  

This sounds like a dumb question but how does one acquire a mold? 

On 5/31/2023 at 6:19 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

It would be nice to see the other sizes made again in the US.  

This sounds like a dumb question but how does one acquire a mold? 

It begins with a large fistful of cash. 

• Like 1

Maybe somebody has molds they no longer use that could still be used; that might make the fistful of cash not quite so large.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

I just realized I'm way to nerdy. 

I was like Oh I recognized that dumbbell, it's Ben Helms. And then I looked on seller and was correct xD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Like I said, Id be willing to front some money to help come up with a mold. But it has to financially make sense.   There should be smaller inches produced in the US again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slazbob said:

Even if I didn’t train anymore, I’d keep a purchase like that. 

yup, my inch is with me  for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a baby inch. I know of some blacksmiths who do some foundry work or maybe they outsource it. I can contact them and see about getting a mold made up. My uncles good friends with them and he’s going to put a call in.

• Like 4

I’m not trying to throw a wrench in plans for baby Inch dumbbells, and maybe everyone else knows this but me, but I watched a video of Thomas Inch lifting his dumbbell, and it appears like what we call replicas aren’t really replicas. His had a thick and short handle, so that part is right, but the globes on each end are substantially bigger. As he lifts it, it looks like the bigger globes help him do a slight leg bump that helps with the clean. Still extremely impressive. So I wonder if there are already globes that are more easily sourced, then maybe someone could weld a thick handle between two of them. Might be cheaper than getting a mold made, and it  would still be a “replica”. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, domedude said:

I’m not trying to throw a wrench in plans for baby Inch dumbbells, and maybe everyone else knows this but me, but I watched a video of Thomas Inch lifting his dumbbell, and it appears like what we call replicas aren’t really replicas. His had a thick and short handle, so that part is right, but the globes on each end are substantially bigger. As he lifts it, it looks like the bigger globes help him do a slight leg bump that helps with the clean. Still extremely impressive. So I wonder if there are already globes that are more easily sourced, then maybe someone could weld a thick handle between two of them. Might be cheaper than getting a mold made, and it  would still be a “replica”. 

Those weren't inches in that vid as far as i know. Also theres controversy over whether Thomas Inch ever lifted one or at least cleaned it... I don't have enough knowledge to go shooting my out off one way or another.

You def dont need one. Its entirely possible to train on rolling handles, thick handles and plate loadable 2 3/8 handles... And use a friends inch to test your self.  Arm Assassin makes a plate loadable db I train with weekly. I recommend that or FBBC Crusher handle was ranked lbs for lbs closest to lifting actual inch.

But its certainly a great addition and worth it if you are very serious about lifting one.   Strength shop makes globe dbs that are similar but i think they have a flat spot  on the globes so you don't get that rotation to you with inch replicas.  

1 hour ago, domedude said:

Which video are you talking about? Is there only one video?

This is the only one i know of

*edit* I'm not here to badmouth Thomas Inch.  He was clearly a strong individual and had some knowledge.. But there was a lot of "showmen" in that era. 

Edited by Blacksmith513

I don’t believe that anyone believes that the dumbbell in that video was “the real dumbbell”. The only reason that the ridiculous video could even be made is that Inch would not allow the dumbbell to be photographed. My source on the “no photographs” issue is David Willoughby’s book “The Super Athletes”…

I suppose, years after he had it, he thought he could get away with that staged video.

Didn’t Nathan Holle, in Gripsport Latino’s interview, say positive things about Inch’s strengh? Or was that some other reliable source who was impressed? Holle appears to be a very serious student of iron history.

The replicas are NOT patterned after that gizmo in the video. They would have been based on the real deal.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 9:27 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I don’t believe that anyone believes that the dumbbell in that video was “the real dumbbell”. The only reason that the ridiculous video could even be made is that Inch would not allow the dumbbell to be photographed. My source on the “no photographs” issue is David Willoughby’s book “The Super Athletes”…

I suppose, years after he had it, he thought he could get away with that staged video.

Didn’t Nathan Holle, in Gripsport Latino’s interview, say positive things about Inch’s strengh? Or was that some other reliable source who was impressed? Holle appears to be a very serious student of iron history.

The replicas are NOT patterned after that gizmo in the video. They would have been based on the real deal.

Very well said @Hubgeezer

There also aren't any nails in the handles of the replicas either.🤣

A very easy way to find some obscure and interesting information and stories is to use the Search Function with simply the word “Prowse”. 
There are things in there that I wrote immediately after meeting the late David Prowse (British actor who played Darth Vader in the first three Star Wars movies), who owned the original Inch Dumbbell for roughly 30 years, and posts by others who spoke to him about the Inch or saw the Original inch being lifted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

A very easy way to find some obscure and interesting information and stories is to use the Search Function with simply the word “Prowse”. 
There are things in there that I wrote immediately after meeting the late David Prowse (British actor who played Darth Vader in the first three Star Wars movies), who owned the original Inch Dumbbell for roughly 30 years, and posts by others who spoke to him about the Inch or saw the Original inch being lifted.

I've read a few times and I think its time to read it again. Thanks for all the write ups you have done over the years.  Its very important to keep connected to the past. 

23 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've read a few times and I think its time to read it again. Thanks for all the write ups you have done over the years.  Its very important to keep connected to the past. 

Thanks. In reading my 2008 writeup on David Prowse, I had written it when it was fresh in my mind. I had forgotten that I had written on this forum that he stated he was able to Clean the Inch. That may be the only place where that was ever claimed…

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Thanks. In reading my 2008 writeup on David Prowse, I had written it when it was fresh in my mind. I had forgotten that I had written on this forum that he stated he was able to Clean the Inch. That may be the only place where that was ever claimed…

This is one of the nice things about our digital age…

our lost thoughts can return the author a favor, but only  if we are first willing to type them for the world to read.

Thank you.

rich

• Like 2

I am going to follow the advice offered and search for more info. But I have a question. If Inch never allowed photos of it to be taken, how did anyone make replicas? 

36 minutes ago, domedude said:

I am going to follow the advice offered and search for more info. But I have a question. If Inch never allowed photos of it to be taken, how did anyone make replicas? 

They copied the original when it was sold to a collector.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:27 PM, Hubgeezer said:

What do you mean nobody believes that's the real dumbbell? Up a few posts, domedude thought it was the real dumbbell.  And I've seen multiple people commenting on youtube videos who think that is a legitimate "Inch Dumbbell," and a legit feat.  Heck some of the people out there think only one person has ever lifted the Inch.

There's so much misinformation out there about the Inch Dumbbell and the actual 172 replicas, it's disgusting.