Baby Inch Dumbbells

domedude

It may have already been answered, but is anyone making an Inch Dumbbell replica in a loadable version or just a lighter weight?  There's a guy in the UK that makes some in a few different weights, but most sizes aren't available and shipping to the US nearly doubles the price.  I've seen a couple of places to get exact, full weight replicas, but if I can't currently lift it, there's not much point in buying it.  I have a dumbbell handle that's 2 3/8", and only four inches of length, so putting plates on it is close to a replica, but I'd rather have an exact replica that's 120-140 pounds, then I can add some magnetic weights as I get stronger.

• Like 2

Is Nathan Holle who you're talking about? If so I got a 115 and 143lb replica from him. They're amazing quality and I've ordered a 154 and 172 since. 

The shipping is a lot but if you can get in a order with some people it could help, that what I've done. 

As far as in the US, Jake Sahalenely was making 100,125,150,172 and 200's but I think he stopped. 

Arm Assassin does make a loadable handle at a great price but sounds like you already have one. 

• Like 4

Id be interested in buying a few from Nathan Holle if a few guys wanted to put an order together and I could swing it $$$$ wise. Which i probably can.

I have the loadable handle from Arm Assassin and I love it, and use it weekly.. I don't want a huge collection but i'd like some baby inches to too add to what I got.

• Like 2

Sounds good.  If you can get some options from him as far as weights and prices, that would be great.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Id be interested in buying a few from Nathan Holle if a few guys wanted to put an order together and I could swing it $$$$ wise. Which i probably can.

I have the loadable handle from Arm Assassin and I love it, and use it weekly.. I don't want a huge collection but i'd like some baby inches to too add to what I got.

I’d like to order a few. Count me in if you get an order going. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, domedude said:

Sounds good.  If you can get some options from him as far as weights and prices, that would be great.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

I’d be in for a baby inch!

On 5/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, domedude said:

Sorry I never saw your post until now.

I'll message him later and i'll see what he says.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

... I'll message him later and i'll see what he says.

I'd be curious about weights and prices.

But it's likely my wallet and my wife do not share my curiosity.  🤑

• Haha 2

I’ve emailed Mr. Holle and here’s the deal on shipping. Two dumbbells would cost about 80% of what it would cost to ship about 10-12 dumbbells, depending on the size. But even if we did get a big order, that would only ship to one location, so there’s more shipping from there to other US locations. Seems like it will be hard to coordinate and get accurate pricing, especially when his prices are in British pounds. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, domedude said:

I’ve emailed Mr. Holle and here’s the deal on shipping. Two dumbbells would cost about 80% of what it would cost to ship about 10-12 dumbbells, depending on the size. But even if we did get a big order, that would only ship to one location, so there’s more shipping from there to other US locations. Seems like it will be hard to coordinate and get accurate pricing, especially when his prices are in British pounds. 

Thanks for doing this. I don't think it would be too hard to get an order together and I'd have no problem going to and splitting the cost of shipping. But it seems that way only it makes sense is if the buyers lived relatively close and only had to pay for shipping once.

• Like 2

StrengthshopUSA.com has told me that they will be selling their circus dumbbells in the US by the end of the year.  Their dumbbells aren't replicas, but the handle is the right size and the ends are globes.  Not sure why they aren't trying to replicate the Inch, but especially for the lighter weights, it may not matter.  I'd rather buy from gripsters, but since no one makes any except full-weight replicas in the US, that might be an option.

I'm sure this has happened in pockets around the country, but maybe someone could compile a list of people living in various areas around the country of people willing to trade or share equipment.  That way more people would have access to more grip tools without everyone having to purchase everything themselves.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 7:45 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks for doing this. I don't think it would be too hard to get an order together and I'd have no problem going to and splitting the cost of shipping. But it seems that way only it makes sense is if the buyers lived relatively close and only had to pay for shipping once.

I’m in Pittsburgh, PA. Where is everyone else located? 

Ill be at Heavy Hands in Virginia in September. 

Maybe we could find a central meeting spot or competition most people will be attending, etc. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

I’m in Pittsburgh, PA. Where is everyone else located? 

Ill be at Heavy Hands in Virginia in September. 

Maybe we could find a central meeting spot or competition most people will be attending, etc. 

I'm in Boston.. I'm supposedly going out to upstate NY, near PA to spread my grandmas ashes, in September. But i'm not holding my breath on that anymore. 

Other than that, it's really hard for me to travel. I'm looking to get into a new career that will allow me to. I want to attend grip contests.

• Like 1

Looks like the rest of those interested are far away from me.  I would be interested in a 50 kilo and and a 65 kilo, so if someone wants to get a big order, then ship to me, that would be great.  It would be nice to know a ballpark figure on cost.  Perhaps Mr. Holle would give us a discount if we ordered a full pallet, which is up to 800kg I think.  That should keep the shipping to the US under $100 for each dumbbell.

Someone somewhere (I have no idea where) makes large industrial balls used for something in industry that might be used to make your own.  I have one someone made for me using the balls he said he found that were used for busting up concrete in the big drums (and no I have no idea how to get ahold of him - it was years and years ago).  I have one of the first light Inches he made here in the US at 146#.  The other option would be to contact a foundry and see if they would make up a short run of either the balls or the dumbbells for you (I think this is what Jake did.  With shipping the way it is - this might be cheaper and offer more choices - I have no idea on any of this - just kicking around ideas.  Years ago a few people made up concrete dumbbells like the Inch so I know that's possible.  I imagine Slater Stones would make (have made) the forms to pour your own balls.  If several of you went together you could get several sizes - and shipping the forms around would be pretty reasonable.  I imagine Steve would know what size forms you would need to to make certain weight balls - two balls plus a 2 3/8" piece of steel - doesn't sound very difficult to me.  Fill the concrete with lead wheel weights (almost free) and you'd have some fairly nice replicas for not much money compared to what you're talking about here.  I'd make my own if I wanted one but I really like making stuff for myself.

https://www.slatershardware.com/collections/stone-molds 

Adding steel reinforcements and lead weights to these would let you use smaller molds.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Someone somewhere (I have no idea where) makes large industrial balls used for something in industry that might be used to make your own.  I have one someone made for me using the balls he said he found that were used for busting up concrete in the big drums (and no I have no idea how to get ahold of him - it was years and years ago).  I have one of the first light Inches he made here in the US at 146#.  The other option would be to contact a foundry and see if they would make up a short run of either the balls or the dumbbells for you (I think this is what Jake did.  With shipping the way it is - this might be cheaper and offer more choices - I have no idea on any of this - just kicking around ideas.  Years ago a few people made up concrete dumbbells like the Inch so I know that's possible.  I imagine Slater Stones would make (have made) the forms to pour your own balls.  If several of you went together you could get several sizes - and shipping the forms around would be pretty reasonable.  I imagine Steve would know what size forms you would need to to make certain weight balls - two balls plus a 2 3/8" piece of steel - doesn't sound very difficult to me.  Fill the concrete with lead wheel weights (almost free) and you'd have some fairly nice replicas for not much money compared to what you're talking about here.  I'd make my own if I wanted one but I really like making stuff for myself.

https://www.slatershardware.com/collections/stone-molds 

Adding steel reinforcements and lead weights to these would let you use smaller molds.

I talked to @VintageWeightsPGH I’m going to see if the foundry near me where I got my inch would be willing do make up a batch of smaller inches. 

I know Slater and Jedd are behind it and when I speak to Jedd next week I’m going to see if A.  What goes into it B It financially makes sense and C. Jedd and Steve are behind the standard inches made there and I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

But I’d really like some smaller ones and I’d like to see them available again here in the US. I’ll keep everyone updated. 

• Like 3

That would be better than having to pay ridiculous shipping from the UK, plus buying American is always a good thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, domedude said:

That would be better than having to pay ridiculous shipping from the UK, plus buying American is always a good thing.

Yeah, plus you gotta worry about customs. 

I know there isn't a huge market for inch dbs but there still is a market. I'd like one in the 115lbs-125lbs range and one 145lbs-155lbs...  

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, plus you gotta worry about customs. 

I know there isn't a huge market for inch dbs but there still is a market. I'd like one in the 115lbs-125lbs range and one 145lbs-155lbs...  

I’d like same ranges!

I got to lift some Holle bells at @stranger recently and they are nice. So I’m not opposed to doing an order with people for Holles. 

But I also am not opposed to the Rhode Island Foundry. Please keep me posted on either or both fronts. 

• Like 1

@domedude @VintageWeightsPGH @Douglas Carney

I saved this question for last today because i had a few training  questions, then  my brother was pressuring me to get off the phone at work but Jedd told me there is a guy in the USA making them he thought. But now i forget his name and he mentioned someone else.  If someone said the names id recognize them.

The place in RI would obviously need a mold.  I feel like I dropped the ball, I didn't get more info.. I told them i had a coach call at 11:15.. Then when the time came my brother game me a hard time.😐 He spends more time on the phone than anymore.

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@domedude @VintageWeightsPGH @Douglas Carney

I saved this question for last today because i had a few training  questions, then  my brother was pressuring me to get off the phone at work but Jedd told me there is a guy in the USA making them he thought. But now i forget his name and he mentioned someone else.  If someone said the names id recognize them.

The place in RI would obviously need a mold.  I feel like I dropped the ball, I didn't get more info.. I told them i had a coach call at 11:15.. Then when the time came my brother game me a hard time.😐 He spends more time on the phone than anymore.

Jake Sahalenely? 

• Like 2

I would love one about 150lbs. I’m in Atlanta ga suburbs. I tried buying one a couple years ago but couldn’t find one. I’ll split shipping if somebody else is down here.  

Based on a quick search, Jacob Sahlaney had dumbbells available thru Fat Bastard Barbell Co.

And Steve Slater may have made Inch replicas prior to his MonsterBell line.  I'd have to do more research to firm up details.

25 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Based on a quick search, Jacob Sahlaney had dumbbells available thru Fat Bastard Barbell Co.

And Steve Slater may have made Inch replicas prior to his MonsterBell line.  I'd have to do more research to firm up details.

I got my inch off of Steve. 

• Like 1