The Meaning of a Strong Grip?

Guest ddtkid

Guest ddtkid

I was wondering what are the benefits of acquiring a powerful grip?  I know it allows a person to hold even greater weights that that person wasn't able to do so before.  Can somebody tell me what else would benefit me with a strong grip?

Most sport specific movements require transfering power throught the wrists and hands or any reallife lifting of odd objects requires a great deal of hand strength.

I could give you a whole host of reasons you need a strong grip in life.  Anything and everything you do in life surrounds using your hands, and having a strong grip aids in getting around better wherever you go.  I'll give you an example:  I went out to dinner with my mother at a very popular seafood restaurant.  She had the king crab legs, and had one difficult time cracking them open - even with the cracker tool she had.  I took a few of them and was able to crack them open with just my hands alone!  That really surprised me.... that's how far I've come in just two years of grip training.

Plus..... with grip training you'll become famous when you close the CoC #3!

Its the best way to get in your mug in Milo.  Not everyone can be a strongman but almost anyone who wants it bad enough can close the #3. And my dad told me my hands are too small to ever close the #3.  Boy is he gonna be suprised!

JD

Guest Sarpedon

I'm not that big and my lifts aren't that great, but

I have friends that can lift more but don't seem

any stronger in real life. They don't train their hands.

Sometimes, I carry a cafeteria tray with all the food

on it in one hand: tremendous torque. Occasionally,

lifter friend says, "How can you do that!" If *he*

tries it, he gets his spaghetti all over his pants after

walking a few feet with the tray. :)

Functional strength: that's why deadlifts and squats

are better than legpresses. When are you going to

use your legs, in real life, where your back doesn't

come into play? If your back is weaker than your legs,

then the girls will drool over your massive thighs, but

you won't be able to do much else with them. The

hands are fundamentally important in functional

strength, because you have to have a firm grasp

before you lift.

Sarpedon

Guest Ronald T

A strong grip in golf allows you to maintain firm control of the clubhead without overtensing. That way you can have a relaxed swing, while keeping the clubface from splaying the ball all over the course when you hit it.

Guest Danjo

There are many reasons to be strong in life, and having a strong grip is probably more usefull on a day to day basis than having strong lats etc. But another reason is for the enjoyment of being able to do things that most people can't do. Sort of like mountain climbing, or parachuting, not a lot of practical uses, but it's fun to do nonetheless.

You interact with the world using your hands and forearms.  They are a complex of many muscles and tendons.  If you strengthen your whole lower arm, your ability and power to interact with the world is increased.  That means that you should not only do Gripper work, but pinch gripping, supporting heavy loads  in the hands, wrist curls in all 4 directions, and finger extensor work.

Hand strength is functional strength for anything you will ever do (almost.)   Consider it as a path to a better quality of life.

New motivation,

Michael Falkov

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously: Take a salesmans pitch, he will start by gripping and shkaing your hand in a confident manner. If the deal is completed, you will shake on it.

Politians will do the same and add another hand on top of yours, sometimes turning it so that their hand is on top an underneath at the same time. Meanwhile gripping firmly.

David Horne mentions two Scottish - I think  - cheaftians grasping each others hands, rather than have the clans fight, an one squeezing so hard that blood came from the others fingertips, from under the nails.

Socialologists would talk of behavior. Simply put its a man thing. You have an indication of his strength without him needing to fight you, or bare arms. You will know he has power from his handshake and yet it is not threatening beacuse you aren't fighting.

It not only makes you feel confident but exudes it, so that another has a sense of you.

Deep enough??

One more point, which has just occured to me.

In training there will be a freak or two, you know the amazing man or woman who can Squat 1000+. Damnn their hides an all.

But as another poster states, there are few who train their grip. Sure they train but not for hand strength. If you do you have, as has been stated, an opportuntity to make a mark. Being able to compete on a par with guys like Manfred Hoeberl - a COC - and being 10 stone lighter - is something else.

How many of the listed COC's are over 200. Not many I bet, maybe 50% at best. Some are over 300, but only a few. I'm 240 give or take, but Joe Kinney looks to be about 180 and kicks my butt.

Its an equalizer... Now go train and do what big Bill Kaz hasn't done yet!!