Anvil lift

Cannon

6 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I’m positive Justin could machine little anvils out of steel. It could be 20 mm by 30 mm and have a horn that’s a stub lift. Or you could pinch on the 20 mm or 30 mm dimension and have a challenging key lift. This little thing could be very versatile!!!

Yeah... You've already got one buyer.  Make it a two horn anvil for different stub lifts...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I’m positive Justin could machine little anvils out of steel. It could be 20 mm by 30 mm and have a horn that’s a stub lift. Or you could pinch on the 20 mm or 30 mm dimension and have a challenging key lift. This little thing could be very versatile!!!

Looking at the dimensions in the eBay photo and comparing them to my blocks...I think a 20mm side and 30mm side would work.

Awesome idea about the stub lift tool.  I grabbed my stub carabiner and saw a size/shape that may work.  (Think I got this one through you around this time last year.)

Just imagine the block in my photo as more of an anvil shape than a rectangle...

Stubs.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah... You've already got one buyer.  Make it a two horn anvil for different stub lifts...

But what if the other end doubled as a bottle opener, instead?  🍺😁

Anvil Opener.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

But what if the other end doubled as a bottle opener, instead?  🍺😁

Either way...can you make the top or the base 2.125" to mimic a CCS, @Cannon🤔

I totally just mocked this up in paint. Beyond the things I even label, there would be a zillion different fiddly ways to pinch this thing. 

image.png

• Like 5

I'm realizing there is not a way to use the 1.5" height. But it's just brainstorming :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I'm realizing there is not a way to use the 1.5" height. But it's just brainstorming :)

(a) your brainstorming is awesome and (b) I'm assuming you'd hold it by the horn tips for the 1.5" set...but is the concern that it may roll?  Or is it the cord getting in the way?

P.S.  I typically buy canned beer so no worries about the bottle opener idea not making the cut.  😄

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I typically buy canned beer

That used to be a sign of boorishness, but now it probably means you are a beer snob lol.  In the 80s, canned beer and screw cap wine was the cheapest and worst (and all I could afford) -- when I had a little more to spend, I got used to bottled beer and corked wine because both were better, and you wouldn't have caught me with a can or a screw cap.  But lately (last 10-20 years), some of the better tasting beers are in cans and wines are with screwcaps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

(b) I'm assuming you'd hold it by the horn tips for the 1.5" set...but is the concern that it may roll? 

Oh, I see it now. I saw it when I drew the dimension, then lost it, but now I see it again. There is a way to use the 1.5" dimension. It shouldn't roll or have the string in the way. Welp, we're probably making these. Just not before a few other things are in place like getting Standard back. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

That used to be a sign of boorishness, but now it probably means you are a beer snob lol.  In the 80s, canned beer and screw cap wine was the cheapest and worst (and all I could afford) -- when I had a little more to spend, I got used to bottled beer and corked wine because both were better, and you wouldn't have caught me with a can or a screw cap.  But lately (last 10-20 years), some of the better tasting beers are in cans and wines are with screwcaps.

Similar experience.  Canned beer (particularly when packaged in suitcases or 30 packs) was typically the most affordable (but least desirable) beer back in the day.  Thirty years later 90% of the local beer aisle at my favorite store is cans.

One selling point for cans is I can take them to our community pool.  Glass is prohibited for obvious safety reasons.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Welp, we're probably making these. Just not before a few other things are in place like getting Standard back. 

Make sure to put a serial number on it when you get around to producing them.  I want to see if I'm quick enough to snag #2 again...  😄

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

we're probably making these

You're gonna turn us gripsters into block set collectors!

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 9:55 AM, Douglas Carney said:

I don't have any anvil experience but this all sounds challenging.

One particularly impressive lift I saw while searching last night was a thread about @liftyzig pinching AND CLEANING an 82lb anvil.  🤯🧠

Thanks for the shoutout :)  I actually ended up snatching that same anvil later using the same technique, and I was able to clean my 95lb anvil. 

As far as lifts my the horn, My best to date is my 159lb Peter Wright, it has a FAT horn which makes it really tough, I've only lifted it once.  I have not been able to lift Luke's 200lb anvil which resides at Jedds gym. 

For pinching, I've 2 hand pinched up to a 144 in the past, I'm sure I could do more now.  For 1 hand pinch I have pinched my 95lb and floated my 105

• Like 6

23 hours ago, liftyzig said:

Thanks for the shoutout :)  I actually ended up snatching that same anvil later using the same technique, and I was able to clean my 95lb anvil. 

As far as lifts my the horn, My best to date is my 159lb Peter Wright, it has a FAT horn which makes it really tough, I've only lifted it once.  I have not been able to lift Luke's 200lb anvil which resides at Jedds gym. 

For pinching, I've 2 hand pinched up to a 144 in the past, I'm sure I could do more now.  For 1 hand pinch I have pinched my 95lb and floated my 105

WOW!  Just...WOW!

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to resist the urge to purchase an actual anvil.  Seven hour car ride and $320 for something I may never lift is a major deterrent.

Think I'll just wait for @Cannon to start selling a mini anvil set block.  Seems a lot more manageable physically and financially.  hahaha

160lb anvil - craigslist.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Trying to resist the urge to purchase an actual anvil.  Seven hour car ride and $320 for something I may never lift is a major deterrent.

Think I'll just wait for @Cannon to start selling a mini anvil set block.  Seems a lot more manageable physically and financially.  hahaha

160lb anvil - craigslist.png

Sounds like a decent price, if you're in the market for such a thing.  Looks a little slick though, so for me, I'd expect not to be able to lift that -- the heaviest I've lifted by the horn is in the 140s, and it was well-seasoned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Sounds like a decent price, if you're in the market for such a thing.  Looks a little slick though, so for me, I'd expect not to be able to lift that -- the heaviest I've lifted by the horn is in the 140s, and it was well-seasoned.

I barely broke the 155lb anvil at Renewed Strength Gym off the floor after Maryland's Strongest Hands.

And the horn on this one looks slicker and thicker.  Neither of which sounds good for my likelihood of lifting it.  🤔

But yeah...based on other listings I've seen on Craigslist and Ebay, as well as what I heard on an old episode of This Week in Grip, this seemed like a decent price.

How could you not buy that anvil . Yeah $320 seems like a lot of money. If you have it sitting there in your gym, you'll always be tempted to try and lift it. So why not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

How could you not buy that anvil . Yeah $320 seems like a lot of money. If you have it sitting there in your gym, you'll always be tempted to try and lift it. So why not.

I know...could be awesome if I had the space and money available.  But there are other, more functional, grip toys on the list ahead on an anvil.  🤔

• Like 1

Not ruling anything out, though...  For example, here is an interesting beat up old anvil that would be cheaper and a shorter drive for me.  hahaha

https://winchester.craigslist.org/tls/d/winchester-blacksmith-anvil/7621390286.html

133lb anvil - craigslist.png

• Like 1

nice, that's all you need 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not ruling anything out, though...  For example, here is an interesting beat up old anvil that would be cheaper and a shorter drive for me.  hahaha

https://winchester.craigslist.org/tls/d/winchester-blacksmith-anvil/7621390286.html

133lb anvil - craigslist.png

Honestly that anvil looks like a better buy than the first one.. That one you posted on Monday looks like it has a crack on the face near the horn side.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Honestly that anvil looks like a better buy than the first one.. That one you posted on Monday looks like it has a crack on the face near the horn side.

Still debating whether to look into it and float a "best offer."  But my wife's birthday is tomorrow and if I disappear for four hours and come home with a 133lb anvil, I may get a curious look from her!  😂🤣😅

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Still debating whether to look into it and float a "best offer."  But my wife's birthday is tomorrow and if I disappear for four hours and come home with a 133lb anvil, I may get a curious look from her!  😂🤣😅

Tell her you got it for her.

I think that will go over real well.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Haha 4

Check this out, just picked it up don’t know much about it except for super old

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5