Anvil lift

Cannon

What would be considered a heavy anvil lift by the horn? A real anvil, not implements. 

Also does anyone lift anvils like a blob lift like pinched across the width. I’m assuming 50-60 lbs is heavy for that?

• Like 1

I have a rare 80lbs anvil from the colonial era, no horn.. I'm too afraid to forge on it but i'd like to pinch lift it some day. I think there are quite a few members here that could right now. If that thing could talk imagine the stories it could tell. 

I think the problem with comparing horn lifts on actual anvils, mainly pre 1920s which is when most where made is that no two are the same. Two people could have two different 150lbs Peter Wrights but dimensions of horns on both of them would probably be  pretty different... It was also common for horns to break and the smiths build re-horn it. Sometimes I wonder if anvil lifting was the start of grip.

• Like 1

Oh I think @liftyzig, @temmmeeee, and @Jedd Johnson would have pretty knowledgeable answers to those questions and some or all of them have probably lifted anvils bigger than 60 by the face.

I've lifted one in the 140s by the horn.  I have seen Tim do one that was bigger, and with weight added.  It won't necessarily be the same as one's little big horn lift, but it probably correlates somewhat, and Tim does huge numbers on that.  I've seen Clint do different anvil tricks with his own anvils in the under 100 pound range, so he may also have face lifted some of them.  And I think I saw Jedd face lift an anvil bigger than 60, but I am not sure how much it weighed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Oh I think @liftyzig, @temmmeeee, and @Jedd Johnson would have pretty knowledgeable answers to those questions and some or all of them have probably lifted anvils bigger than 60 by the face.

I've lifted one in the 140s by the horn.  I have seen Tim do one that was bigger, and with weight added.  It won't necessarily be the same as one's little big horn lift, but it probably correlates somewhat, and Tim does huge numbers on that.  I've seen Clint do different anvil tricks with his own anvils in the under 100 pound range, so he may also have face lifted some of them.  And I think I saw Jedd face lift an anvil bigger than 60, but I am not sure how much it weighed.

I don't have any anvil experience but this all sounds challenging.

One particularly impressive lift I saw while searching last night was a thread about @liftyzig pinching AND CLEANING an 82lb anvil.  🤯🧠

• Like 4

We had smaller anvils at Gripmas - I think 55# but not sure???  We had two in the Medley and you had to "tail palm pinch lift" them to a bench.  It was a challenge that quite a few failed on.  Not in the Medley but done afterwards was a pinch by the top - easier than by the tail - several did that.  I think it was Jedd who did a "key pinch" on the tail - crazy hard!

Anvils by the tail - Little Big Horn etc takes a kind of weird kind of strength - one I obviously don't have very much of.  

Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

One particularly impressive lift I saw while searching last night was a thread about @liftyzig pinching AND CLEANING an 82lb anvil.  🤯🧠

Yup, what Clint does with an anvil takes balls and strength. I think in the future, Im going after some of the same feats. Being a wannabe blacksmith….How can I not?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

:ohmy What the hell

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup, what Clint does with an anvil takes balls and strength. I think in the future, Im going after some of the same feats. Being a wannabe blacksmith….How can I not?

Agreed!  Clint has other videos of him picking up even larger anvils by the horn and flipping them to a pinched clean position.

And I'm just like...N-O-P-E.  Neither the strength nor testicular fortitude to try that...  🤪

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Neither the strength nor testicular fortitude to try that

Yeah, I tried one of his entry level anvils at nationals last year (or some comp he was at).  Even the lighter ones - weights where you can lift it very easily and it is a weight you  know you could clean on a dumbbell - require a certain amount of coordination with your strength so as not to, oh I dunno, drop it on your head or someone else's body?  So I gave up without even succeeding with an easier one.  It felt like if I got the movement right, I could probably could do an easier one, but it would take practice.  The heavier ones that he is pushing his limits on are elite feats.  Crazy.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cannon said:

:ohmy What the hell

Not sure which is more "what the hell" worthy:  pinching and cleaning OR lifting by the horn and flipping to a pinched clean...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, I tried one of his entry level anvils at nationals last year (or some comp he was at).  Even the lighter ones - weights where you can lift it very easily and it is a weight you  know you could clean on a dumbbell - require a certain amount of coordination with your strength so as not to, oh I dunno, drop it on your head or someone else's body?  So I gave up without even doing an easier one.  I probably could do an easier one, but the ones he is pushing his limits on are elite feats.  Crazy.

Pretty good odds that me trying to clean or flip any size anvil would result in a trip to the ER 🤕 (or morgue 😵)...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not sure which is more "what the hell" worthy:  pinching and cleaning OR lifting by the horn and flipping to a pinched clean...

He's from the same city as my mom. The people out there are very tough and strong.  Old factory town, sounded by farms.

Really it seems like a lot of the strongest people in this sport are from Ohio, PA and upstate NY.

• Like 1

I think I found an anvil that I may feel comfortable attempting...  🤔

Mini Anvil.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Time for a new gripper feat. The anvil block set.

You kid, but that would sell.  If Grip were baseball, you'd make a million off that idea.  Being as there are only about 1000 of us in the world though, you'd probably only  make about $4.78.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Heavy" by the horn for me is like 150.  However, it's kinda relative to the anvil, because a rougher horn is easier to lift, a larger horn is tougher. Also the cone-shape varies per anvil, with some widening out much more than others.

Pinching them by the body of the anvil is a cool feat. I have a 106 that I've lifted to lockout with a thumb protector on.  I've lifted my 112 close to lockout, by having it tilted.  It's a lot easier that way. Pinching them level is a completely different, much harder feat.

I did a full length feature on Anvil Lifting on TheGripAuthority.com way back in 2010 and the members really enjoyed it.

Lots of different anvil lifts on my youtube channel.  I've done the clamp lift that Chris Rice mentioned with decent weight added and I've lifted Luke's 200lb anvil in tandem with multiple other feats, as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You kid, but that would sell.  If Grip were baseball, you'd make a million off that idea.  Being as there are only about 1000 of us in the world though, you'd probably only  make about $4.78.

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

All kidding aside. Thats a great idea.. I've thought about making  grip related "knick knacks" for lack of better term. I just don't have the time to get into the shop like I thought i would to really focus. Its like one weekend every two months. 

And to forge a little anvil would actually be a little bit of work, especially for production but it would be kinda cool. 

Does anyone carry anvils? Its not a grip feat but still a good workout. The man i got my 300lbs one used to lift it off the floor himself. Some people are just naturally so strong. I can do my 220, but can't budge the bigger one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

All kidding aside. Thats a great idea.. I've thought about making  grip related "knick knacks" for lack of better term. I just don't have the time to get into the shop like I thought i would to really focus. Its like one weekend every two months. 

And to forge a little anvil would actually be a little bit of work, especially for production but it would be kinda cool. ...

HA!  I actually bought it four hours ago.  In addition to the anvil block set, I was thinking about drilling a hole for some 550 cord and using it for anvil silver bullets.

Anvil Purchase.png

• Like 2

I actually featured an 80-lb anvil in a grip medley just yesterday at the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships. You had to pinch lift it by the face (top). I think about 5 or 6 guys managed to do it (it was a strong group). I'd say lifting a 70-pounder by the face would be considered a "strong" benchmark. By the horn, I agree with Jedd that 150 lbs would be a good "strong" benchmark, but the horn dimensions are a huge factor. I consider my 150-lb anvil to be just about as hard as my 172-lb anvil, if not a tiny bit harder, simply because of the horn's size. I can key pinch my 50-lb anvil by the tail, but I can't lift it with a clamp grip. However, based on how many people have tried to lift it by the tail both ways, it's easier for most to lift it with a clamp grip than with a key pinch.

The Little Big Horn is not a good simulator for a real anvil. I'd bet that almost everyone can lift more with the LBH than they could an actual anvil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

The Little Big Horn is not a good simulator for a real anvil. I'd bet that almost everyone can lift more with the LBH than they could an actual anvil.

Agreed.  It's probably a more efficient lift than an actual anvil, because the weight will hang directly beneath and you will be pulling mostly just up; with a real anvil, you have to control its odd size beyond just holding it and pulling up.  At least that's my non-scientific sense of it.  But kind of similar to why the Inch is harder than 172 on the Rolling Thunder.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Agreed.  It's probably a more efficient lift than an actual anvil, because the weight will hang directly beneath and you will be pulling mostly just up; with a real anvil, you have to control its odd size beyond just holding it and pulling up.  At least that's my non-scientific sense of it.  But kind of similar to why the Inch is harder than 172 on the Rolling Thunder.

I may get my chance to find out on May 20th.  Just looked at the medley list for Maryland's Strongest Hands and saw anvils are on the list.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1873104576392180

Not owning (or ever attempted) an anvil...LBH is all I have to train with...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I'd say lifting a 70-pounder by the face would be considered a "strong" benchmark. By the horn, I agree with Jedd that 150 lbs would be a good "strong" benchmark, but the horn dimensions are a huge factor. I consider my 150-lb anvil to be just about as hard as my 172-lb anvil, if not a tiny bit harder, simply because of the horn's size.

Thank you! This thread has been fun to read but I was specifically looking for this type of info. :)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

"Heavy" by the horn for me is like 150.  However, it's kinda relative to the anvil, because a rougher horn is easier to lift, a larger horn is tougher. Also the cone-shape varies per anvil, with some widening out much more than others.

Pinching them by the body of the anvil is a cool feat. I have a 106 that I've lifted to lockout with a thumb protector on.  I've lifted my 112 close to lockout, by having it tilted.  It's a lot easier that way. Pinching them level is a completely different, much harder feat.

Thank you Jedd! Great info. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I think I found an anvil that I may feel comfortable attempting...  🤔

Mini Anvil.png

I’m positive Justin could machine little anvils out of steel. It could be 20 mm by 30 mm and have a horn that’s a stub lift. Or you could pinch on the 20 mm or 30 mm dimension and have a challenging key lift. This little thing could be very versatile!!!

• Like 3