Choker Service IS back!

Cannon

Man, this was a chore. I found a local shop who can take this work. For the pricing to make sense, they would like batches of 50 grippers. This means that we won't necessarily have the service on demand in the same way. I'm trying to figure out a way that people could make requests for the next batch, but I also don't want that to be hard to manage. I don't want to hold orders for weeks while we try and get the batch to 50, and I also don't want to manage the requests like guaranteeing certain grippers are earmarked for specific people. 

So, it might all just be premade inventory. That's not the worst thing. It would all be rated and ready to ship immediately when posted. And I would hope to make the stuff that people want so on-going requests can influence future batches. 

Having said all that...What do people want to see in the first batch? I drop them off Friday morning. The first batch cannot include any Standard yet. 

• Like 9

I would love to see a hard #3 or an easy #3.5/GHP8

Edited by EmilBB

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Having said all that...What do people want to see in the first batch?

This is great! For me, I'd like to have a COC 2.5 and 3.

• Like 1

I might try and negotiate another smaller bracket with them. Friday is kind of the first meet-up. Let's say we can get them to agree to batches of 10 or 15. What if there was a separate Choker Reservations product. It would have dropdown with the available reservations like:

Reservation 1 of 10
Reservation 2 of 10
Reservation 3 of 10

The reservation would be to have a specific gripper modified like how the old service worked. The understanding would be that none of the reservations get made until all 10 sell. As the customer you could look at the product at any time and see if that has happened. If the reservations are not sold out, then they are not in progress. Once those are made and shipped then the reservations reopen. Of course any one person could claim as many available reservations as they wanted. 

That could work. Anyone have a brilliant idea aside from just having them all pre-made?  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The understanding would be that none of the reservations get made until all 10 sell.

In this situation, what would happen if you have a few reserved on a not so popular gripper and its been several weeks.  Would you cover the rest of the grippers needed to get the orders fulfilled after a certain period of time? Reservations and pre-made could coexist in a way that doesn't leave you with an overabundance of less popular grippers that will take forever to sell. Hope i understood what you were saying correctly. I'm not familiar with how the old service worked.

Reservations sound like a great idea though. I would certainly sign up for a few if there was no pre-made inventory.

39 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

This is great! For me, I'd like to have a COC 2.5 and 3.

This is where I'm at, also.  And as @EmilBB pointed out, probably the upper range of each.  So a hard CoC 2.5 and 3...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The reservation would be to have a specific gripper modified like how the old service worked.

So would this be a pre-rated gripper from the list at https://cannonpowerworks.com/products/grip-strength-equipment-pre-rated-grippers?

And by placing the reservation I'm buying that pre-rated gripper (and pre-paying for the choker service) and that pre-rated gripper is put in a queue until my batch of 10 is ready?

Ex.  I see a 153 CoC #3 on the list.  So the process could be:  I add that 153 CoC #3 to my cart, add choker service to my cart with my respective reservation group, pay for everything, and then watch/wait for my gripper to proceed and be made/delivered.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

In this situation, what would happen if you have a few reserved on a not so popular gripper and its been several weeks. 

The gripper type wouldn’t matter. All that would matter is that ALL 10 reservations were claimed so the batch could proceed. The only wait time would be however long it takes for the 10 reservations to sell. 

To be clear, as the customer purchasing a reservation you are picking the exact gripper you want converted. Then you get that gripper.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

So would this be a pre-rated gripper from the list at https://cannonpowerworks.com/products/grip-strength-equipment-pre-rated-grippers?

And by placing the reservation I'm buying that pre-rated gripper (and pre-paying for the choker service) and that pre-rated gripper is put in a queue until my batch of 10 is ready?

Ex.  I see a 153 CoC #3 on the list.  So the process could be:  I add that 153 CoC #3 to my cart, add choker service to my cart with my respective reservation group, pay for everything, and then watch/wait for my gripper to proceed and be made/delivered.

Correct. And at any point you could look at the product and see if your current batch of reservations was sold out. If the reservations are sold out then you would at least know your gripper is in process and could ship soon. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The gripper type wouldn’t matter. All that would matter is that ALL 10 reservations were claimed so the batch could proceed. The only wait time would be however long it takes for the 10 reservations to sell. 

To be clear, as the customer purchasing a reservation you are picking the exact gripper you want converted. Then you get that gripper.

That clears it up. Sounds like a good idea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

That clears it up. Sounds like a good idea.

Same here.  Sounds good to me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

I might try and negotiate another smaller bracket with them. Friday is kind of the first meet-up. Let's say we can get them to agree to batches of 10 or 15. What if there was a separate Choker Reservations product. It would have dropdown with the available reservations like:

Reservation 1 of 10
Reservation 2 of 10
Reservation 3 of 10

The reservation would be to have a specific gripper modified like how the old service worked. The understanding would be that none of the reservations get made until all 10 sell. As the customer you could look at the product at any time and see if that has happened. If the reservations are not sold out, then they are not in progress. Once those are made and shipped then the reservations reopen. Of course any one person could claim as many available reservations as they wanted. 

That could work. Anyone have a brilliant idea aside from just having them all pre-made?  

If they can't/won't do them in small batches of 10 then you could just open up a request thread to the customers for grippers you have available with a date that you will be sending them out. After that fill in the rest of the 50 with other grippers and send that to get serviced. 

Or something like that. 

Side note, I'd like something in the high 150s to low 160s so I might have to wait for the standard line to come back. 😢

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, stranger said:

... Side note, I'd like something in the high 150s to low 160s so I might have to wait for the standard line to come back. 😢

For my "willing to wait" list...I'll also want an Iron [Fe] around 135-140 to bridge between the CoC #2.5 and #3 when the standard line comes back.

• Like 1

If the main issue is not with making the threaded holes but with getting good quality heim joints, bolts, etc. at a good price, you could offer a "drilling only" service as well. 
For example, I don't think I'll ever put back the choker mechanism on my Standard Fe. Now I have the choker totally unused. I would just need two holes in my GHP #8 and the choker would serve me well again. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, matek said:

If the main issue is not with making the threaded holes but with getting good quality heim joints, bolts, etc. at a good price, you could offer a "drilling only" service as well. 

The main issue is the drilling and tapping but that is an interesting idea to offer no hardware so someone could move around existing hardware if they wanted. 

• Like 6

Choker service is back!

We split apart the pre-made chokers from the service. Right now you can see them both under New Products.

https://cannonpowerworks.com/collections/new-products

Quantities are very limited as we get a new system down. Bandwidth will open up more heading into summer. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Those things started selling out fast. 😯

Glad I snagged one.

Looks like 6 out of 10 reservations already sold as well. Popular service!

• Like 1

There is a LOT of pent up demand right now. This will chill out. Once we get our restock from IronMind (they had a storm damaged production facility) We will be making the pre-made grippers in batches of 50. The machinist gave us one price for 10 and another for 50. So we'll try and hit the 50 bracket whenever it makes sense. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jared P said:

Looks like 6 out of 10 reservations already sold as well. Popular service!

Currently at 9 out of 10. My guess is that I'll be dropping them off Monday. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Cannon said:

HUGE supply of pre-rated choker options just posted. 

Get after it, NERDS. 

https://cannonpowerworks.com/products/custom-choker-grip-strength

Order #2 placed today.  Hopefully my wife doesn't notice the ever expanding gripper collection.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Order #2 placed today.  Hopefully my wife doesn't notice the ever expanding gripper collection.  😄

Tell her it’s gripper mating season andb they multiply like rabbits

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Tell her it’s gripper mating season andb they multiply like rabbits

"Spring" fever  :wub: 

• Haha 6

@Cannon - I'm new to choker grippers.  Is it ok to leave the gripper at the setting I chose (one inch) or should I unwind the knurled nut after each workout?

I don't know what impact (if any) there might be on the spring (and rating) over time.  Thanks!

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

I always pitch this advice as a mixed bag. 

On the one hand, spring steel does not experience time dependent creep at room temperature. If the spring was heated under a load then it will deform quickly. But at room temps the spring doesn’t “know” whether it spends a moment or a year at a certain point. Holding it in a choker is no more stress than passing through that same point during a single rep. 

On the other hand, we would recommend storing the gripper as wide as possible or released. There just isn’t any good reason to store it under a load. If you’re coming back to it frequently in workouts, maybe leave it set. If you know it’s going to be a while, consider releasing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1