Grip Genie 5 vs CoC#3

DrBartlebee

For people who have used both, how would you say the average GG5 compares to the average #3? I'm trying to determine if my 3 is just really heavy or my GG5 is really light.

Ex: I can get off the couch on any day and grind the handles on my GG5 but I've never closed the 3 that I own. I'm still a few millimeters off. Does that sound normal because of the handle width/spread difference or should they be roughly equivalent in difficulty? I know the best way is to just get them rated but wanted someone to gut check first.

Thanks!

Grippers with narrow handles are much easier than standard grippers with wider spread like COC, GHP etc. Even if the rating is the same.

• Like 6

They rate very similarly but what @Fist of Furysaid is also true. 

but, you could have a low 140's gg5 and a mid to high 150's CoC #3 also. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Grippers with narrow handles are much easier than standard grippers with wider spread like COC, GHP etc. Even if the rating is the same.

Like a lot of factors, this varies. I would not consider many (most?) GG5s to be all that narrow. I just took a look at 10 random ones in inventory and the average spread was 2.82" (71 mm). 

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Like a lot of factors, this varies. I would not consider many (most?) GG5s to be all that narrow. I just took a look at 10 random ones in inventory and the average spread was 2.82" (71 mm). 

I've never tried them and I'm not commenting on GG at all. Just letting him know the difference between narrow and not narrow spead.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Cool, yea I knew it played a role, just didn't think it was that significant. Guess I need to work on my setting! It also feels like all the resistance suddenly comes at the end with the GG5 where the handles are basically already parallel. With the 3 it's more consistent throughout, so it's harder to get it in my hand. 

1 hour ago, DrBartlebee said:

Cool, yea I knew it played a role, just didn't think it was that significant. Guess I need to work on my setting! It also feels like all the resistance suddenly comes at the end with the GG5 where the handles are basically already parallel. With the 3 it's more consistent throughout, so it's harder to get it in my hand. 

The difference can be very big. Even with a difference of only 10 mm in spread it's very noticable. Let's say you have one #3 with 75 mm spread and another gripper with 65 mm spread it could feel like the difference is 10% even with the same rating. As the difference gets bigger it will feel even bigger as well.

I have never tried the grip genie 5 but I have a grip genie 6 and it is easier than grippers that rate lower than it. 

• 4 months later...

My GG5 is rated 1 pound lighter than one of my CoC3s but it feels way lighter than that. I think it has to do with the narrower handles because I can TNS the GG5 but struggle with the credit card close of the 3 despite them being so close in rating. 

11 minutes ago, Austin Seitter said:

My GG5 is rated 1 pound lighter than one of my CoC3s but it feels way lighter than that. I think it has to do with the narrower handles because I can TNS the GG5 but struggle with the credit card close of the 3 despite them being so close in rating. 

Yes it's known that a rating doesn't always tell the whole story. Narrow grippers feel easier to close for the same reason that most people gain considerable strength in a choker. And grip brands like Grip Genie and Heavy Grips tend to have some more narrow spreads, but not always. So while the rating is "pounds at the close" in both cases, that doesn't always capture what it takes to get there. And there are other variables like setting strength and hand size/density. If you have a strong set and a dense hand, you might be able to set both grippers to parallel in which case the ratings would feel more and more similar. A rating just captures one piece of information. 

In my opinion this is a shortcoming of the rating system, not a deficiency for any given gripper brand. 

• Like 4

This ^^

The grippers you use should align with your grip goals.  You can get plenty strong on GG, HG, etc, but if you want to get insane with it, you'll want to start training with other brands with wider spreads and higher quality springs.

• Like 1

Coming from someone certified on the coc 3, if you are trying to get good at coc, you will waste your time training with GG...a heavier GG is always easier than a lighter coc, this matters..I have the gg set and 2 hg, they are about 2 cm narrower than coc, this affects when and where they put out their resistance...the people that say it doesn't matter and that 50 lb grippers are good to use typically are not using high level grippers so put that into consideration who is giving what advice and what their incentive is behind giving that advice (for example do they profit in some way from recommending buying 50 lb grippers).

I am aware Carl used GG but only as 1 last set, not for main training. I have actually written pretty in depth and made charts and made videos explaining why 50 lb grippers are not good, i did an experiment way back. But I don't have this information publicly available.

The sooner you stop wasting your time with grip genie etc the sooner you can start getting good at coc grippers.

Edited by C8Myotome