Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - ZACH MULLINS

Vinnie

You know, I got Zach's answers to these questions on March 20, and thought about posting early, but figured I'd just stick to the 1st of the month.  Then on March 31st I remembered, and said oh cool, I'll do it tomorrow ... then it was April 8.  Zach is a cool strong guy from North Carolina, although I think I met him for the first time in Pennsylvania.  Tim Butler ordered some dumbbells and loaded them into my car to bring to Zach in PA, and he was somehow grateful to me for driving the car even though I didn't lift a finger.  Anyway, without further ado, here's the skinny on this rising star:

1. What are your stats?
    Grip Board name: ZRMMA
    Height: 6’2” 
    Weight: 205-210lbs
    Dominant hand, and hand size: 
(7.75” Both Hands)
Right Hand usually but Left is better at blobs and most vbar style lifts. 
    Country/City: Aberdeen, NC
    Relationship Status: Married
    Children: not yet

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 
•I’ve always trained grip indirectly through more powerlifting style training, and from fighting mma/grappling. Didn’t realize there were historic grip feats and grip competitions until I stumbled across Jedd Johnson’s and Adam Glass’s YouTube channels. I will always be thankful for discovering their videos and how helpful they’ve been during our talks. That opened a whole new world for me and I’ve been hitting the grip hard about 3years now. 

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals? 
•First time I lifted the Fatman Blob will always be one of my favorites it was the first feat I really pursued. Other good ones.
• Pinching 2x50lb Pancake Plates single hand
• Inch Dumbbell and Blob lifts 
• stacking two tall cans on top of one another and balancing them on the inch Dumbbell. I could ramble on I’ve done a lot of good feats/combo lifts. Most of those feats are on my YouTube.

Moving forward some goals I have: Double Inch Lift, Inch Transfer, Inch Thumbless lift, pinch 2x55lbs, Lift KWN60 blob and Blobzilla. And many more…

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 
• I will lift a minimum of 3days a week and grip will always be incorporated. Sometimes I’ll hit the grip more if recovered. Recently I’ve dialed back the amount of grappling and sparring I normally do to help recover better for some of my lifting. I was doing about 3 lift days and 3 fight days and often ended up running myself into the ground. Overall I work the big Compound lifts. And when it comes to grip mainly Axle/Inch and Saxon/Blobs that covers a lot of the ground and carries over to anything else. Also depending on what competitions are coming up I will specialize my training towards the events. 

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?
•Definitely outdoors stuff. I have been hunting and fishing for a long time (mostly Deer and Turkey) I’d love to get out west some day and hunt some other stuff. Also still training and coaching on the fight side of things helping friends for their fights. 

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?
•Just would like to take this time and thank all the grip people who paved the way with videos, comps, books etc. I wanna thank the community as a whole for just existing it’s one of the coolest things/sports that I never knew existed but now I’m heavily involved and everyone has been very welcoming and supportive. So I would just like to thank everyone who invented lifts and implements and those who have given us the chance to continue on training and competing in grip today. 

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next?
•Ivan Cuk … he’s very young and extremely strong and humble. He has mostly been known as a gripper guy but has worked on other aspects of grip and strength and he’s getting scary strong.

• Like 11

Another good one Vinnie!!.

Its been great to get to know Zach this past year. He's opened up his home to me twice for hosted grip contests and is truly passionate about grip and  strength sports.. Glad to call him friend.

• Like 6

Really enjoying these profiles Vinnie. 

Zach has given me good advice and helped my own training for competitive grip sport. Good guy to talk to for anyone getting into the competitive side of grip. 

• Like 7

Being a new member, this was the first profile that I read.

I was already familiar with some of Zach's feats from following him on YouTube, but it was so great learning more about his journey and future goals.

Looking forward to going back and reading the rest of the posts in this thread.  Thanks, @Vinnie!

• Like 5

Great write up! Zachs feats list is insane.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Zach's also the reason that Australia has a Fatman Blob. He made it a point to get one over to Joe Hodgson. 

And there's almost no distance he won't drive in the name of Blobs or Blob making. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

... Zachs feats list is insane.

Exactly why I subscribed to his YouTube (before I had joined this forum).  I like to learn from people better than me.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

His videos are a great inspiration!
Thanks for the write-up, Vinnie!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Great profile write up Vinnie!  
Zach is super strong in all areas of grip & he’s just getting started!  He’s gonna accomplished big things in Grip & we look forward to seeing his progress! 

cheers gentlemen! 😎💯

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Great profile write up Vinnie!  

Thanks, Robert!  It was great to meet you in NC at AGP5 and will see you at a future one I'm sure.  Be well.

• Like 1