Mostly CCS gets you mad strength

AdriaanRobert96

So I’ve focused on CCS only the past month or so and I’ve seen literally mad strength gains..

It turns out (atleast for me) that I am atleast 3-5 reps weaker when doing CCS.

Went from doing 2 CCS on the average #3 to doing 5 CCS reps.

Turns out I went from 6-7 wide reps to almost 10 reps.

What I am trying to say is that CCS will make you stronger overall when doing other sets like wide sets etc.

I am going to go for another 1-2 months of volume with CCS and see where it takes me.

• Like 6

I had to look up the Rules of the Gripboard on the above post. Surprisingly, it does not appear to violate any of the rules. Very interesting. Thank you for posting.

i thought I remember Blasphemy was against the rules.

i got mixed up, and checked. Blasphemy is prohibited on the IronMind Forum, Rule Number 8. 

Sarcasm aside, there are not many posts here that report what you are experiencing, to the point that it runs counter to the Super Majority. I am interested in hearing about your progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've noticed that the opposite is true as well. 

For instance, I'll only train MMS closes and my CCS will go up. 

So basically, training grippers will get you stronger at grippers. But obviously the set at which you train will see the most growth. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

I had to look up the Rules of the Gripboard on the above post. Surprisingly, it does not appear to violate any of the rules. Very interesting. Thank you for posting.

i thought I remember Blasphemy was against the rules.

i got mixed up, and checked. Blasphemy is prohibited on the IronMind Forum, Rule Number 8. 

Sarcasm aside, there are not many posts here that report what you are experiencing, to the point that it runs counter to the Super Majority. I am interested in hearing about your progress.

Sorry for being thick but I am not following😅?

What I am saying is that focusing on CCS training only for a while has yielded me very high strength increases.

Sat and thought about it for a while back, and it felt pretty logical to me.

Being able to wide set a gripper for 6-7 reps is one thing, but building that same gripper up to the same reps but with CCS will without a doubt increase overall strength.

1 minute ago, stranger said:

So basically, training grippers will get you stronger at grippers. But obviously the set at which you train will see the most growth. 

Very interesting, I want to CCS the #3.5 so it made sense to train CCS for a while.

Another thing that relates to what you wrote is other implements..

Some people feel like Fat Bar will improve their gripper strength, I personally feel weakened by it.

Pinch on the other hand boosts my gripper strength significantly👍🏼

14 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So I’ve focused on CCS only the past month or so and I’ve seen literally mad strength gains..

It turns out (atleast for me) that I am atleast 3-5 reps weaker when doing CCS.

Went from doing 2 CCS on the average #3 to doing 5 CCS reps.

Turns out I went from 6-7 wide reps to almost 10 reps.

What I am trying to say is that CCS will make you stronger overall when doing other sets like wide sets etc.

I am going to go for another 1-2 months of volume with CCS and see where it takes me.

Ivan Cuk is the one who set me on this path, once i started training primarily wide set my strength absolutely took off, My huge hands were being wasted on MMS and lower, My CCS/Wide set is almost at the same level that my old MMS strength was at, Lets consider for a moment that i did MMS on my right hand and i'm doing solely wide/CCS on my left, Also more visible muscle growth from training wide set volume instead of constant max effort attempts

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Ivan Cuk is the one who set me on this path, once i started training primarily wide set my strength absolutely took off, My huge hands were being wasted on MMS and lower, My CCS/Wide set is almost at the same level that my old MMS strength was at, Lets consider for a moment that i did MMS on my right hand and i'm doing solely wide/CCS on my left, Also more visible muscle growth from training wide set volume instead of constant max effort attempts

Amen to that brother😎!

How’s your progress going, do you have a training log or YT?

Always motivating to follow others progress :D

4 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Amen to that brother😎!

How’s your progress going, do you have a training log or YT?

Always motivating to follow others progress :D

Yeah i've got a log here on Gripboard, I post more to my insta but i still post here for my big milestones

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah i've got a log here on Gripboard, I post more to my insta but i still post here for my big milestones

Alright, I’ll follow you on IG then what’s your name fam?

4 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Alright, I’ll follow you on IG then what’s your name fam?

king_shadelight on IG, Got most of my stuff there, usually post when i've got big stuff or just updates on how its going

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Sorry for being thick but I am not following😅?

What I meant was that very few people on this forum advocate Credit Card Width closes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

What I meant was that very few people on this forum advocate Credit Card Width closes. 

How so?

34 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

How so?

A hand big enough to comfortably close with a credit card set is pretty rare, Which is what most people need to be able to do it, So they opt for MMS and narrower

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

A hand big enough to comfortably close with a credit card set is pretty rare, Which is what most people need to be able to do it, So they opt for MMS and narrower

Yeah that’s true but I also feel people have tough time generating force from the so called “stand still” when doing CCS, atleast that’s been my issue😅

or atleast one of my man weaknesses.

• Like 1

Any way you get stronger in grippers will always carry over to any other way. Here's the thing:

It's much harder to make progress with wider sets because the strength seiling is much lower. This means, if you actually manage to get stronger it will of course give results once you start to practice MMS as well. Because MMS has higher strength seiling, it's easier to make progress. Gaining 5 lbs of strength on MMS is much easier than doing the same strength increase with CCS. That's why most people don't bother so much with CCS (unless they want to certify with those rules).

The worse leverage you have, the lower the strength potential are, this is the case with all exercises.

With grippers this is much more of a problem since it's difficult to make small incresements with grippers. Grippers vary a lot, even if they have same ratings, they might feel very different in the sweep. This is not the case when you lifts weights with calibrated plates.

Since there's less room for improvement with wider sets, programming your workout becomes extra difficult because of this. Let's say you make 10 lbs of gains with MMS. The equal amount of gains with CCS is not going to be 10 lbs, it will be much lower.

Having smaller hands of course further escalates this problem.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stranger said:

Who would have thought that actually training grippers will make you stronger at grippers :D 

No reason to over-complicate things.

• Haha 2

Because i'm a big handed individual who mostly favours left MMS has always felt off for me, So now its my main go to and the strength gains have been astronomical, Purely anecdotal, Tbh some people get so bogged down and focused on trying to close the gripper at all costs that they don't realise its malding

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Because i'm a big handed individual who mostly favours left MMS has always felt off for me, So now its my main go to and the strength gains have been astronomical, Purely anecdotal, Tbh some people get so bogged down and focused on trying to close the gripper at all costs that they don't realise its malding

It is truly a game of patience and smart programming, atleast that’s what I got from it.

Patience and specific programming to your individual weaknesses leads to great results.

Rushing and doing grippers mindlessly will lead to injuries, I know because I got hurt in the beginning😅

• Like 1