Boys 11-13
Boys 14-15
Boys 16-17
Girls 7 and under
Girls 8-10
Girls 11-13
Girls 14-15
Girls 16-17

Divisions not officially offered in the contest will still be tracked for GSI records purposes.

Awards:

Custom King Kong gorilla sculptures for the following:
The overall male and female champions ("The King Kong of Grip" and “The Queen Kong of Grip”)
The male and female exceptional lifters (best pound-for-pound performance)

6” Custom three-dimensional King Kong medals for the following:
The top three finishers in each class
The overall male and female top lifter in each event

Youth awards: Medals for top 3 in each division

Last Person Standing format. Reverse strongman scoring.

Confirmed Venues (So Far):

North America:

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – Eric Roussin
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada – Brad Provick
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Jason Steeves
Carp, Ontario, Canada - Andrew Nguyen
Sioux City, Iowa, USA – Andrew Pantke
Carbondale, Colorado, USA – Steve Millard and Jeremy Everding
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA – Joel Dircks
Thousand Oaks, California, USA – Will Guiliani
Lecompton, Kansas, USA – Chad Gustin and Ben Edwards
Spokane, Washington, USA – Andy Munsey
Hillsborough, NJ, USA – Tim Butler and Cesare Ricchezza
Aberdeen, North Carolina, USA – Zach Mullins
Bethesda, Ohio, USA – Mike Saffell
Vancouver, Washington, USA – Frank Chaudoin
Rockford, Illinois, USA – John Enzenauer
Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, USA – Jedd Johnson
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA – Rob Sully
Vinton, Virginia, USA – Ben Helms
St. Louis, Missouri, USA – Josh Culpepper
Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA – Tyler Young

South America:

Melipilla, Chile - Bruno Gonzalez Andres

Europe:

Gatchina, Russia – Dima Lappalainen
Ukraine – Ivan Pupchenko
Kent, England – Jenn Tibbenham
Luumäki, Finland – Arto Joronen
Järvenpää, Finland - Harri Tolonen
Kuusamo, Finland - Santeri Mikkonen
Arendal, Norway - Thomas Larsen

Oceania:

Minto, NSW, Australia – Thomas Claxton
Sydney, NSW, Australia – Joseph Hodgson
Doreen, Victoria, Australia – Arthur Zavras

Edited by Eric Roussin
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

"Last Person Standing format"

Seems like a pretty huge change in format!  Will be interesting to see how it affects things during the contest, and in the results. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

"Last Person Standing format"

Seems like a pretty huge change in format!  Will be interesting to see how it affects things during the contest, and in the results. 

It is. It will indeed be interesting, and easier for newer competitors. However, I’ll be surprised if it results in different people finishing near the top of the standings.

• Like 5

This is exciting.  Can't wait.

• Like 3

How does last person standing format work (or where can I read about it?)

Is it like for example the Pinch Block .5kg is added and all people at that venue try it until they can't do it?

Or is it each individual can pick a starting weight and then it goes up incrementally until they can't do it. I can see how the second way would work if you can pick your starting weight and increments but with the first way I'm just hoping the strongest competitors don't have to try all my small lifts before they can progress 😅

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PinchByPinch said:

How does last person standing format work (or where can I read about it?)

Is it like for example the Pinch Block .5kg is added and all people at that venue try it until they can't do it?

Or is it each individual can pick a starting weight and then it goes up incrementally until they can't do it. I can see how the second way would work if you can pick your starting weight and increments but with the first way I'm just hoping the strongest competitors don't have to try all my small lifts before they can progress 😅

You can skip, you don't have to lift every weight, but as soon as you miss a lift you are out

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The top three in every weight class will one of these. 6”, three-dimensional, custom medals.

603138C4-C981-4867-95EF-1098D66F359A.jpeg

• Like 14

On 3/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, liftyzig said:

You can skip, you don't have to lift every weight, but as soon as you miss a lift you are out

Will this be at the local venue only? Like I imagine it's not last man standing across all lifters at all locations. 

I hope I can make this event. 

57 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Will this be at the local venue only? Like I imagine it's not last man standing across all lifters at all locations. 

I hope I can make this event. 

Each venue will be contested in this manner. But since athletes will be competing against others around the world, they shouldn’t stop lifting just because they’ve outlifted everyone else in their venue - they should keep going as high as they can.

• Like 8

On 4/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Each venue will be contested in this manner. But since athletes will be competing against others around the world, they shouldn’t stop lifting just because they’ve outlifted everyone else in their venue - they should keep going as high as they can.

It will be interesting to see if Rising Bar ends up lengthening the contest, shortening it, or having minimal impact.

For me, with my approach to weight selection, I suspect I will end up taking five attempts instead of four. Probably a less aggressive choice on attempt # 4, and a result of a true maximum for that day with attempt # 5.

Normally, the four attempt approach for me has one of three results:

1. Perfect selection

2. Being too aggressive in weight selection, and being a small amount short of what you could do that day (say 5 Kg. short on Crusher by going from an easy 75 Kgs to one half an inch shy of pulling 80 Kgs, happened more times than I care to admit)

3. Leaving too much on the table by having a great PR Day and running out of attempts, possibly because the hand feels like it has glue on it due to the contest device being better “seasoned”  than the personal device you train with. That happened two years in a row with me for the Grab Ball…

Don’t pretend to believe that my experience is typical to anyone other than me. My prediction? It will add 5-10 % to the length of a contest. Some early fluky misses without another attempt resulting some bomb-outs shortening the contest, and others having 5 or 6 attempts, making it longer.

10 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

It will be interesting to see if Rising Bar ends up lengthening the contest, shortening it, or having minimal impact.

For me, with my approach to weight selection, I suspect I will end up taking five attempts instead of four. Probably a less aggressive choice on attempt # 4, and a result of a true maximum for that day with attempt # 5.

Normally, the four attempt approach for me has one of three results:

1. Perfect selection

2. Being too aggressive in weight selection, and being a small amount short of what you could do that day (say 5 Kg. short on Crusher by going from an easy 75 Kgs to one half an inch shy of pulling 80 Kgs, happened more times than I care to admit)

3. Leaving too much on the table by having a great PR Day and running out of attempts, possibly because the hand feels like it has glue on it due to the contest device being better “seasoned”  than the personal device you train with. That happened two years in a row with me for the Grab Ball…

Don’t pretend to believe that my experience is typical to anyone other than me. My prediction? It will add 5-10 % to the length of a contest. Some early fluky misses without another attempt resulting some bomb-outs shortening the contest, and others having 5 or 6 attempts, making it longer.

I have done 1, 2, and 3 above in the 4-attempt format.  With unlimited attempts, I will certainly start very low, fully considering it a mere warm-up, and I will probably do more like 8 attempts, with the first few solely meant as warm-ups and then I'd do just about every weight until failure unless one felt real easy and I was afraid I was tiring.  But I could see myself doing 8 or more attempts.

15 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I have done 1, 2, and 3 above in the 4-attempt format.  With unlimited attempts, I will certainly start very low, fully considering it a mere warm-up, and I will probably do more like 8 attempts, with the first few solely meant as warm-ups and then I'd do just about every weight until failure unless one felt real easy and I was afraid I was tiring.  But I could see myself doing 8 or more attempts.

8 Attempts?? Sounds like an All Nighter for wherever Vinnie competes!

In 2005, I was in a Rolling Thunder only contest with a rising bar format, and it was as close to perfect a performance I ever had, using the approach you described. I had six attempts: 131/151/171/181/191/196. Did not have a single pound left in me. Eight? Naaah. Probably would result in an undesirable 4th category, at least for some of us.

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

8 Attempts?? Sounds like an All Nighter for wherever Vinnie competes!

In 2005, I was in a Rolling Thunder only contest with a rising bar format, and it was as close to perfect a performance I ever had, using the approach you described. I had six attempts: 131/151/171/181/191/196. Did not have a single pound left in me. Eight? Naaah. Probably would result in an undesirable 4th category, at least for some of us.

It would depend on the event for me whether I'd take that many; certainly not on grippers, maybe not on thick bar, but my pinch is better after very significant warm-up and I think 8 might be about right for that.  I got (I think) the arm lifting record in my weight class for Iron Mind Hub lift to lockout last month (1st place in arm lifting on the 80 and 90 kg leaderboards, 2nd place in grip sport 83kg) by doing this, with a huge PR, and I started very low and did about 8 lifts.  I started with 50-ish pounds and went up to 74-ish pounds (33.7 kilos), with increments of about 1 kg to 3 pounds (might have skipped one or two along the way, and then failed 77).

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas where to get an Otevoima Finnish Ball? Their website is down. Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere. I have one from Arm Assassin, but I’d like an Otevoima. 

49 minutes ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

Any ideas where to get an Otevoima Finnish Ball? Their website is down. Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere. I have one from Arm Assassin, but I’d like an Otevoima. 

Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/otevoima

11 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I messaged through Instagram. Shipping is more than the Finnish ball. 😬 They said they could ship 10 for the same shipping price. So now I just need 9 other people to go in on an order with me. 😂 Anyone want to buy one?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The initial post has been updated to reflect the 18 confirmed venues to date. Many more promoters are expected to confirm over the summer.

Potentially interested in hosting a King Kong venue, but would first like to get more information? Just send me an email: eroussin@rogers.com 

• Like 3

With Jenn Tibbenham and Arto Joronen recently confirming they will be hosting King Kong again (in England and Finland, respectively), we're now up to 20 confirmed venues!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 7:39 AM, Eric Roussin said:

With Jenn Tibbenham and Arto Joronen recently confirming they will be hosting King Kong again (in England and Finland, respectively), we're now up to 20 confirmed venues!

Do you one know if anyone is thinking about hosting a venue  in Alberta?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Do you one know if anyone is thinking about hosting a venue  in Alberta?

Nothing yet. Are you interested? :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Nothing yet. Are you interested? :)

I don’t think I’m ready to host but I’ll buy the handles or do something like that to help someone out if they host it.

• Like 3

@Eric RoussinWill you explain the last man standing format for those of us who have never used it?  I think I understand it.  Weight continues to go up, and there are essentially unlimited attempts as long as you don't bomb out on an attempt in the 1 minute time limit.  Our venue has several youngsters, below teenage, so it may end up making it quite a bit faster.  I read through the other questions and responses about last man standing format and am still not 100% sure I understand the set up.  I need to understand it so I can explain it to Chad Gustin.  

Edited by Mashmonster268

1 hour ago, Mashmonster268 said:

@Eric RoussinWill you explain the last man standing format for those of us who have never used it?  I think I understand it.  Weight continues to go up, and there are essentially unlimited attempts as long as you don't bomb out on an attempt in the 1 minute time limit.  Our venue has several youngsters, below teenage, so it may end up making it quite a bit faster.  I read through the other questions and responses about last man standing format and am still not 100% sure I understand the set up.  I need to understand it so I can explain it to Chad Gustin.  

Sure thing. This is how I describe it in the King Kong rules document, which is shared with promoters:

The promoter will start each event with the loading pin loaded with a weight that all competitors can lift, and then gradually increase the weight. Minimum increases can be set at the individual promoter’s discretion, but the goal should be to give competitors a reasonable to chance to lift as much weight as possible (e.g., for the Finnish Ball 0.5 kg or 1 kg increments would be fairer than 5 kg increments). At any given weight, competitors will have the option to make an attempt or pass. He/she will be given credit for the highest weight they successfully lift. Once a weight increment is added, it cannot go back down. For instance, if a competitor passes at a given weight, but then attempts the next weight and fails, he/she cannot then drop back down to the previous weight. 

There is no set limit to the number of times a competitor makes a trip to the platform. He/she can continue as long as they continue to make successful lifts. Each trip to the platform grants the competitor one minute (60 seconds) during which they have unlimited attempts. Once a competitor fails to make a successful lift within the allotted time, he/she is done for the event (e.g., can only attempt a given weight once).

For the Finnish Ball, for my venue I'll likely be using 2 kg as the standard increment, but will allow competitors to choose smaller increments if they want when they feel they are close to their limit.

I run the kids/youth division on a separate day for my venue, as the weights are much lower. I'm confident that LMS format will be better for the kids, as they generally have much less of an idea of what they can lift.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if any of it is unclear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That finnish ball lift look neat as hell.

Gl on the event

Edited by Apneaa

6 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I don’t think I’m ready to host but I’ll buy the handles or do something like that to help someone out if they host it.

I'll reach out to @Eric Roussin

• Like 2