Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

cant wait to hear about your results, 

Made a list of stuff to throw in my bag/van tomorrow.  Any helpful hints on something I may have missed?

·         Warmup Grippers
o   IronMind Guide (RGC 27)
o   IronMind Sport (RGC 37)
o   Tetting Beginner (RGC 55)
o   GNC 100 (RGC 69)

·         CNS Fire-up
o   20lb Dumbbells
o   Heavy Resistance Band
o   Extensor Bands
o   Smelling Salts

·         General Gear
o   Chalk Bag
o   Lifting Belt
o   Knee Sleeves
o   Deadlift Shoes

·         Body Fuel
o   Water Bottle
o   Granola Bars
o   Beef Jerky
o   Bag Lunch

·         Post Comp
o   Gym Towel
o   Change of Clothes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Made a list of stuff to throw in my bag/van tomorrow.  Any helpful hints on something I may have missed?

o   GNC 100 (RGC 69)

·         CNS Fire-up
o   20lb Dumbbells
o   Extensor Bands
o   Smelling Salts

·         General Gear
o   Chalk Bag
o   Lifting Belt
o   Knee Sleeves
o   Deadlift Shoes

·         Body Fuel
o   Water Bottle
o   Granola Bars
o   Beef Jerky
o   Bag Lunch

·         Post Comp
o   Gym Towel
o   Change of Clothes

A cooler full of post comp Yuenglings!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

o   GNC 100 (RGC 69)

·         CNS Fire-up
o   20lb Dumbbells
o   Extensor Bands
o   Smelling Salts

·         General Gear
o   Chalk Bag
o   Lifting Belt
o   Knee Sleeves
o   Deadlift Shoes

·         Body Fuel
o   Water Bottle
o   Granola Bars
o   Beef Jerky
o   Bag Lunch

·         Post Comp
o   Gym Towel
o   Change of Clothes

Sounds good, just don't eat or drink anything unusual/new just because "it's the big day". I've never competed in grip, just experience from a few other sports. 🙂

And good luck! Let's go!

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

A cooler full of post comp Yuenglings!

How did I forget that?!?  😁🍻

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, matek said:

Sounds good, just don't eat or drink anything unusual/new just because "it's the big day". I've never competed in grip, just experience from a few other sports. 🙂

And good luck! Let's go!

Good point!  No random protein drinks or energy bars...

Thanks Matek!

• Like 2

Also thinking about what I want to do after Maryland’s Strongest Hands, so kinda kickin’ around a Goal List today as well:

• I’ve lifted the York Next Gen Blob with both hands.  Waiting in the wings are the Red Pill, York Legacy 110 and 125, and that Hex 120 I cut up last month.
  • I’ve lifted my Hex 100 and Hampton 90 together.  But a double blob lift with my Next Gen and Fat Man is a community benchmark.  A real feat.
  • I’ve only done the Next Gen face pick with my left hand (which is currently up for vote, by the way).  Rightie needs to step up.  But the long term goal is the Legacy 110 by the face.  That would be awesome.
  • I have an old school pair of 100lb York plates waiting for me to lift them—ideally together for a double.  Dan Brynildsen, the Store Owner of Play It Again Sports - Edwardsville, IL hooked me up but I haven’t given them a serious attempt yet.
  • And to really feel competitive, I need to focus on lifts (rather than feats) and get my Saxon into the 200s, Axle into the 300s, and 2” Napalm Nightmare into the 400s.  Not in the neighborhood of these numbers just yet, though, because I haven’t deadlifted regularly in the last couple of years.  Hopefully I'll have a little muscle memory there somewhere.
Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck today @Douglas Carney

Thanks Joe!  Such a great time today!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Such a great time today!

How did it go?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

How did it go?

The atmosphere was awesome.  Everyone was so cool and supportive.  Everybody cheered for everybody else.  And I got a lot of technique tips and things I can practice.

I knew @stranger was going but @Jedd Johnson was a surprise!  I pulled into the parking lot next to his truck and was like...holy smokes...Jedd is here?!?  Both great guys and fun to meet them in-person.

The gym itself had grip implements, racks of York round heads, stacks of deep dish plates, and other cool stuff.  Think that added to the experience because we were all able to nerd out a bit.

Started out with silver bullet which frankly I wasn't looking forward to because I haven't taken the time to master grippers yet.  Got some good feedback about trying the CoC #1.5 with my left hand rather than going straight to my stronger (right) hand with a low rated gripper.  Totally worked and gave me the confidence to do #2 with my right.  And for my third attempt I went for broke and tried a 2.5 but only held it for 1.3 seconds and the minimum to count was 2 seconds.

Awe inspiring to see the CoC #3.5 and #4 at work with people much stronger than me.  So I enjoyed being a spectator, too, if that makes sense.

Axle felt a little smooth/slick but I still got a PR at 130KG.  Highest lift I recall seeing was 170KG so I think it affected everyone's numbers.

Saxon is where Chaz needed to talk me through technique after I missed the opener.  I thought I could handle 65KG but it only broke the ground twice.  Neither was a full lift.  Thankfully I got a redemption round at the very end and did like 130lb (or whatever that works out to in KG).

Medley was tougher than I thought.  Struggled with a fat 90 blob and then missed the Next Gen.  Oh...and hub 45 was a bit too much for me.  Fun watching a couple of guys just run through everything.

But the real medley fun was afterward when we all kinda re-tried things after a brief rest.  One of the many highlights for me was showing my ability to face pick the Next Gen despite failing to pinch it during my run.  hahaha

Then the 150lb anvil came out.  You would have liked it.  Jedd, the owner, and another guy all lifted it.  I only got it to break the ground.

Speaking of the owner...it was kind of amazing.  He wasn't competing and would occasionally jump in a do our lifts cold.  Kinda wild to see someone just like nail 200lb cold.

• Like 10

Nice, what are incredible experience. Sounds like you had a really good time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

The atmosphere was awesome.  Everyone was so cool and supportive.  Everybody cheered for everybody else.  And I got a lot of technique tips and things I can practice.

I knew @stranger was going but @Jedd Johnson was a surprise!  I pulled into the parking lot next to his truck and was like...holy smokes...Jedd is here?!?  Both great guys and fun to meet them in-person.

The gym itself had grip implements, racks of York round heads, stacks of deep dish plates, and other cool stuff.  Think that added to the experience because we were all able to nerd out a bit.

Started out with silver bullet which frankly I wasn't looking forward to because I haven't taken the time to master grippers yet.  Got some good feedback about trying the CoC #1.5 with my left hand rather than going straight to my stronger (right) hand with a low rated gripper.  Totally worked and gave me the confidence to do #2 with my right.  And for my third attempt I went for broke and tried a 2.5 but only held it for 1.3 seconds and the minimum to count was 2 seconds.

Awe inspiring to see the CoC #3.5 and #4 at work with people much stronger than me.  So I enjoyed being a spectator, too, if that makes sense.

Axle felt a little smooth/slick but I still got a PR at 130KG.  Highest lift I recall seeing was 170KG so I think it affected everyone's numbers.

Saxon is where Chaz needed to talk me through technique after I missed the opener.  I thought I could handle 65KG but it only broke the ground twice.  Neither was a full lift.  Thankfully I got a redemption round at the very end and did like 130lb (or whatever that works out to in KG).

Medley was tougher than I thought.  Struggled with a fat 90 blob and then missed the Next Gen.  Oh...and hub 45 was a bit too much for me.  Fun watching a couple of guys just run through everything.

But the real medley fun was afterward when we all kinda re-tried things after a brief rest.  One of the many highlights for me was showing my ability to face pick the Next Gen despite failing to pinch it during my run.  hahaha

Then the 150lb anvil came out.  You would have liked it.  Jedd, the owner, and another guy all lifted it.  I only got it to break the ground.

Speaking of the owner...it was kind of amazing.  He wasn't competing and would occasionally jump in a do our lifts cold.  Kinda wild to see someone just like nail 200lb cold.

Sounds like it was an awesome time all around. Give your self another solid year of training and you will blast through whatever lifts you struggled with. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sounds like it was an awesome time all around. Give your self another solid year of training and you will blast through whatever lifts you struggled with. 

Yeah!  It was awesome.

As for lifts, I know what needs work.  Need to schedule in a deadlift day (with mix of barbell, Axle, and Saxon) on Saturday or Sunday when I (theoretically) have more time to train.  Think those numbers will come up with practice and time over the bars.

Silver Bullet needs to be CoC #2.5 minimum.  Ideally at least a #3.  So my "summer reading list" will be "how to set a gripper."

One thing I feel I did do right in my brief preparation was using a little heavier weight (heavy enough I have to really squeeze but light enough it doesn't drop instantly).  The "real thing" in competition felt light in comparison and my hold times reflect that...

First time I practiced, I only managed three seconds with my right (stronger gripper) hand using a CoC #1.5.  https://youtu.be/gMRw2wyxGSU  At the comp yesterday my left hand managed around 19 seconds with the 2.5KG (instead of 9lb).  Huge difference mentally and physically.

• Like 2

Also on my to-do list is incorporating hub lifts here and there.  @stranger was doing hub transfers(!!!) after everything was over and I was like...no wonder you had a great medley run!

The rest will come with time.  Working on the Red Pill or a blob double should both help fix my little stumble at the end of the blob run.

If Renewed Strength hosts Maryland's Strongest Hands again (in April 2024, I think the owener said) I should be better positioned.

Not saying @Jedd Johnson will be looking over his shoulder or anything 😁.  Just saying I have a good idea of where I can do better (with plenty of room for improvement) and a general sense of how to get there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice, what are incredible experience. Sounds like you had a really good time.

It was awesome, John!  Thank you!

Can't say enough great things about the host and fellow competitors.  Really made for a fun day.

Videos of my lifts from Maryland's Strongest Hands on May 20, 2023.

This was an Armlifting USA sanctioned contest hosted by John Foelber at Renewed Strength LLC, in Sykesville Maryland.

Competition lifts were:
Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold (3 attempts)
Ironmind Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift (rising bar, unlimited attempts)
Sorinex Saxon Bar Deadlift 3" side (rising bar, unlimited attempts)

There was also a grip medley with York Blobs, Sorinex Center Mass Bells, and deep dish plate hub lifts. But I forgot to hand my phone to @stranger and didn't get a video of those lifts.

After the medley, John broke out the 150lb anvil, so I gave that a go just for the fun of it. All in all a great, fun day.

• Like 6

P.S.  If you have a chance this weekend, please take a minute to visit the feat judging page and vote for my 50# Blob Facelift video.  Currently sitting at only 8 votes...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Videos of my lifts from Maryland's Strongest Hands on May 20, 2023.

This was an Armlifting USA sanctioned contest hosted by John Foelber at Renewed Strength LLC, in Sykesville Maryland.

Competition lifts were:
Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold (3 attempts)
Ironmind Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift (rising bar, unlimited attempts)
Sorinex Saxon Bar Deadlift 3" side (rising bar, unlimited attempts)

There was also a grip medley with York Blobs, Sorinex Center Mass Bells, and deep dish plate hub lifts. But I forgot to hand my phone to @stranger and didn't get a video of those lifts.

After the medley, John broke out the 150lb anvil, so I gave that a go just for the fun of it. All in all a great, fun day.

This was great! Big lift on the axle!

Also that 3" saxon looks really evil 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, matek said:

This was great! Big lift on the axle!

Also that 3" saxon looks really evil 🙃

Thanks Matek!  I was pretty happy about the axle lift.  That was a PR for me!

For me the 3" saxon was tough.  I think a big part is my technique.  But it also felt hard to grab compared to my well-seasoned block weights and blobs.  Something for me to work on for next time...

• Like 2

First time pressing in 10 weeks due to Shoulder Impingement 05-22-2023

Haven't benched regularly in a couple of years and may have rushed things in the first few months of this year. Had to take 10 weeks off due to shoulder impingement to let things simmer down.

Today was my first foray back into pressing very light weight. Threw in the Fat Gripz to get a little forearm and hand workout, too.

Musical Inspiration: "Hit the Lights" by Metallica from the album "Kill 'Em All" released in July 1983.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, Douglas Carney said:

You're actually one of the main reasons I came to the contest bro. Nice meeting you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

You're actually one of the main reasons I came to the contest bro. Nice meeting you. 

The pleasure was all mine, Jedd!  @stranger said a former Silver Bullet WR holder might make it and I hoped he meant you.

You're a great guide and inspired me to try a comp.  And you and Chaz made this such a fun introduction to that world for me!

So awesome meeting you and watching you compete.  Thanks for coming down to Maryland!

• Like 3

First time doing "Pull, Bize, and Trize Day" workout in two months (partly due to a shoulder issue and partly because I started training for Maryland's Strongest Hands).

Dropped rep range for pulldowns and rows to 8 vs 10 per set but kept weights the same.  Dropped weight significantly on lat/front raises.  And biceps/triceps I didn't adjust at all.

Good pump and pain free (for now).  Feels like a solid step back toward a regular routine.

• Like 4

Finishing out my day with a festive beverage and grip videos on YouTube.  @Jedd Johnson posted a rundown of Maryland's Strongest Hands so it was the first thing I watched.

And...holy smokes I got a shout out at the 5:20 mark!  🍻  So excited I called my wife downstairs and played in on the tv.  (Seriously...)  😃

I never imagined going from lifting alone in my basement to being part of this grip community.  So glad I joined this forum and am meeting so many awesome and inspiring people.

This has been such a great experience for me.  And for that I am very grateful.

• Like 4