Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

41 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

that sucks 

Majorly!  Shortly after I saw this oddball size on eBay, I watched a video from @VintageWeightsPGH talking about 9s and 12s being rare.

I was like, this is a sign!   So (possibly after a Yuengling or two) I went ahead and bought it.

Then it shows up IN TWO PIECES?!?  😔  Totally sucks...

• Like 1

I heard that 9 and 12s work very hard to find

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

I heard that 9 and 12s work very hard to find

Yeah...I have some saved eBay searches and just started using something called SearchTempest.  2s, 3s, 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s, and 25s all day long.  9s and 12s not so much.

Honestly it's hard to say I needed* a 9lb dumbbell.  🤔  Still sucks though...  😔  One less in the world now.

* Frankly I'd get more use out of a 70 or 75lb old York roundhead since I've already lifted my 65.  I want to keep upping the ante until I can't possibly lift anything larger.  🤪

• Like 2

Good news!  My eBay seller just responded and sent me a USPS label for the return.  Happy the refund process has begun...

46 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Good news!  My eBay seller just responded and sent me a USPS label for the return.  Happy the refund process has begun...

Frankly my return is wrapped much more securely than the original shipment.

@ZRMMA's master class on blob packaging should be required viewing for anyone shipping weights.

York 9lb DB Return Package.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Majorly!  Shortly after I saw this oddball size on eBay, I watched a video from @VintageWeightsPGH talking about 9s and 12s being rare.

I was like, this is a sign!   So (possibly after a Yuengling or two) I went ahead and bought it.

Then it shows up IN TWO PIECES?!?  😔  Totally sucks...

I've drunk bought my inch dumbbell, a few guitars, a few guitar pedals. Sorry it broke, thats always the scary part.

We have a friend who bought a waterfront MANSION while he was drunk, from his phone...Yes he's rich but got it for a good price like $700,000 because it was in rough shape...  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've drunk bought my inch dumbbell, a few guitars, a few guitar pedals. Sorry it broke, thats always the scary part.

We have a friend who bought a waterfront MANSION while he was drunk, from his phone...Yes he's rich but got it for a good price like $700,000 because it was in rough shape...  

Glad I'm not the only one!  I need an eBay filter that makes me solve a complex problem or something before I can buy gym equipment.

But a MANSION?!?  That's a new world record in my book.  hahaha

• Haha 1

Fun things happen when you’re drunk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Glad I'm not the only one!  I need an eBay filter that makes me solve a complex problem or something before I can buy gym equipment.

But a MANSION?!?  That's a new world record in my book.  hahaha

Yeah, he's a real estate developer with a drinking problem.. Really good guy though.Turned it into 4 condos, the carriage house into another condo, subdivided the lot and built a big house for himself. Overlooking Boston and his back yard is the Atlantic ocean. I'm pretty sure he bought a house or two that he flipped while drunk as wel.

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Fun things happen when you’re drunk

Yup..image.png.fca5aada58533744e4ba93c222bcede6.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Giving everything a rest this week ahead of Maryland's Strongest Hands on Saturday.

Last grip specific workout was York 60 & 65 on Thursday.  Saturday and Sunday I had to move every dumbbell (up to 100s) and kettlebell (up to 150) as part of "spring cleaning."  So I guess that counts as exercise...

Also dragged out all of my landmine stuff (including the stack of 45s for the post) because I'm going to sell it all.  Haven't used it much lately because it takes time to move stuff around and get it set up.  Freed up a lot of space...

DB & KB May 2023.jpg

• Like 6

Very impressive blob collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Giving everything a rest this week ahead of Maryland's Strongest Hands on Saturday.

Last grip specific workout was York 60 & 65 on Thursday.  Saturday and Sunday I had to move every dumbbell (up to 100s) and kettlebell (up to 150) as part of "spring cleaning."  So I guess that counts as exercise...

Also dragged out all of my landmine stuff (including the stack of 45s for the post) because I'm going to sell it all.  Haven't used it much lately because it takes time to move stuff around and get it set up.  Freed up a lot of space...

DB & KB May 2023.jpg

Looks neat!

I know that half iron grip 120 doesn't slope out, but it still looks pretty intimidating just because of the size😄

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Very impressive blob collection.

Thanks John!  Much better reaction than my wife.  Saturday night I showed her my progress and her first question was, "Do you really need two 100s?"  🙄

I didn't even get into one was a Next Gen and one was a Fat Man.  Or maybe I want to do a blob double.  I was just like, "Yes.  Yes I do."  😂🤣😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, matek said:

Looks neat!

I know that half iron grip 120 doesn't slope out, but it still looks pretty intimidating just because of the size😄

Thank you!  This project was long overdue.  I was literally tripping over stuff so I understand my wife's perspective to an extent.

As for half Iron Grip 120...the slope is a critical difference.  I have some measurements in the attached screenshot for comparison purposes.

For what it's worth, I lifted the Iron Grip well before I finally nailed the Next Gen blob.

Blob Sizes - Excerpt.png

• Like 3

Fighting the urge to do anything grip related until after Maryland's Strongest Hands on Saturday.

Going in with the idea of just doing my best and having fun.

Fully realize an opening lift of CoC #1.5 for Silver Bullet won't win me first place.  😁  But I hope to see @stranger smash a CoC #4 in-person. 

Saxon and Axle may go ok because I had a chance to practice with the bars @Lucasraymond made.  Also watched a couple recent videos from @ZRMMA to help figure out hand placement.

But it's the medley that I'm looking forward to most.  Meeting with @Jedd Johnson in January made all the difference.  Wouldn't have a "50# blob or blob50 by Face" lift up for vote right now without his guidance and assistance.

Looking forward to my first grip contest.

• Like 4

I checked out the Blob Medley “sneak peek” photos on the FB page for Maryland’s Strongest Hands 2023 (https://www.facebook.com/renewedstrengthmd)  a while back so I could start prepping and planning.  It appeared to consist of:

•            York Blob Lifts – 25lb, 35lb, 45lb, 60lb, 70lb, 80lb, 90lb, and 100lb
  •            Hub/Plate Pinch Lifts – 5lb, 10lb, 25lb, 35lb, 45lb, and shallow 20kg
  •            Miscellaneous Lifts – 100lb York Plate, Inch Dumbbell, and various Sorinex Center Mass Bells

Not sure what we’ll be asked to do with the Sorinex Center Mass Bells.  The FB page only says “Multiple lifts for points, one 120 second round)” and “More details on point values and loading sequences will be shared soon.

Blob lifts seem manageable and I may start with them to get my CNS firing.  Hub/Plate Pinch Lifts we'll just have to see how it goes.  Not something I've practiced.

But a 172lb Inch Dumbbell is on my "no way, don't even bother" list.  😁  Struggling with that is just going to burn up energy and time.

For point purposes I need to hit my maybes/definites and leave the "no way, don't even bother" stuff alone.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Fighting the urge to do anything grip related until after Maryland's Strongest Hands on Saturday.

Going in with the idea of just doing my best and having fun.

Fully realize an opening lift of CoC #1.5 for Silver Bullet won't win me first place.  😁  But I hope to see @stranger smash a CoC #4 in-person. 

Saxon and Axle may go ok because I had a chance to practice with the bars @Lucasraymond made.  Also watched a couple recent videos from @ZRMMA to help figure out hand placement.

But it's the medley that I'm looking forward to most.  Meeting with @Jedd Johnson in January made all the difference.  Wouldn't have a "50# blob or blob50 by Face" lift up for vote right now without his guidance and assistance.

Looking forward to my first grip contest.

Hopefully I can get a legal hold! But if not I head a rumor that a guy is coming and once had the WR for it! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I checked out the Blob Medley “sneak peek” photos on the FB page for Maryland’s Strongest Hands 2023 (https://www.facebook.com/renewedstrengthmd)  a while back so I could start prepping and planning.  It appeared to consist of:

•            York Blob Lifts – 25lb, 35lb, 45lb, 60lb, 70lb, 80lb, 90lb, and 100lb
  •            Hub/Plate Pinch Lifts – 5lb, 10lb, 25lb, 35lb, 45lb, and shallow 20kg
  •            Miscellaneous Lifts – 100lb York Plate, Inch Dumbbell, and various Sorinex Center Mass Bells

Not sure what we’ll be asked to do with the Sorinex Center Mass Bells.  The FB page only says “Multiple lifts for points, one 120 second round)” and “More details on point values and loading sequences will be shared soon.

Blob lifts seem manageable and I may start with them to get my CNS firing.  Hub/Plate Pinch Lifts we'll just have to see how it goes.  Not something I've practiced.

But a 172lb Inch Dumbbell is on my "no way, don't even bother" list.  😁  Struggling with that is just going to burn up energy and time.

For point purposes I need to hit my maybes/definites and leave the "no way, don't even bother" stuff alone.

Good luck. Your going to do great AND have fun.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck. Your going to do great AND have fun.

I appreciate the support and encouragement, Joe.  Looking forward to this event!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stranger said:

Hopefully I can get a legal hold! But if not I head a rumor that a guy is coming and once had the WR for it! 

DUDE!  Now you've got me curious!  Trying to match up who checked "like" on the contest page with the previous record holders...  hahaha

https://www.ironmind.com/certification/coc-silver-bullet/rules-and-world-records/

• Haha 1

Looking at the equipment list on the Renewed Strength gym website and guessing "Replica Thomas Inch Dumbbell" means the 172 lb version.

Also wondering if the "150lb Anvil" will be in the mix.  I haven't touched my LBH in like a year.  🙄

But of the two...I like my chances on the anvil better.  🤔

1 hour ago, Justin Baumann said:

That would be awesome to have all those blobs!

Thanks Justin!  Blobs are my favorite aspect of grip so I've gone off the deep end a bit.

• Like 2

Hey Doug good luck tomorrow

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug good luck tomorrow

Thanks so much John!  Means a lot.

Sitting here with a cup of coffee and thinking about what I may want to bring with me.  So definitely on my mind and anticipation is building...

• Like 1