Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Unboxing & Lifting the Hex 100  (48.4lb)

This was my first attempt at the Hex 100.  Frankly I didn’t know what to expect, so right before this I lifted the Hampton 90 +12.5lb for a little confidence boost.

The weight was a little rusty/dirty but not super slick like the Red Pill.  All-in-all it felt manageable…so I immediately wanted to take it on a test run in a follow-up video.

Musical Inspiration: "Kings of Metal" by Manowar from the album "Kings of Metal" released in November 1988.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

Lifting the Hex 100 +12.5lb  (60.8lb total)

My first attempt at the Hex 100 went ok, so I decided to go all out and see what I could do.

Unfortunately my right hand was still a bit tired from yesterday’s gripper training, but my left hand was feeling strong today.

Musical Inspiration: "Hail and Kill" by Manowar from the album "Kings of Metal" released in November 1988.

• Like 5

WAY COOL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

WAY COOL 

Thanks John!  I was surprised I was able to lift it...so very happy I was able to post a successful attempt.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Unboxing & Lifting the Hex 100  (48.4lb)

This was my first attempt at the Hex 100.

Fun fact...the Vintage Weights PGH swag clued me into my Ebay seller's identity: Rob (@vintageweightspgh) from https://www.vintageweightspgh.com/

That guy makes some cool videos 

• Like 1

Nothing new & exciting in grip while I take a couple days off (a) to give my hands a rest and (b) my wife has family in town.

On a related General Physical Preparedness (GPP) note...I got in over 14K steps touring around Washington DC yesterday.

AND...as of this morning I've dropped about 18 pounds since January...so I would no longer fall in the "120KG+" category for a grip event (if I ever do one).

Steps 3-25-2023.jpg

• Like 1

Experimenting with some old York dumbbells today to see if I could grip each by the head and press it.

Musical Inspiration: "Peace Sells" by Megadeth from the album "Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?" released in September 1986 and "Symphony of Destruction" (also by Megadeth) from the album "Countdown to Extinction" released in July 1992.

• Like 2

Supper cool. Any thing with York Dumbells is great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Supper cool. Any thing with York Dumbells is great

Thanks John!  Just thought it would be something interesting to try.

• Like 1

Seems like cutting and shaping Pinewood Derby cars using only a coping saw and a coarse file should count as a grip workout...  🤪

...especially since I sold my table saw and miter saw when we expanded the gym downstairs.  Seems like a natural swap.  🤔

Pinewood Derby Update 03-28-2023.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Seems like cutting and shaping Pinewood Derby cars using only a coping saw and a coarse file should count as a grip workout...  🤪

...especially since I sold my table saw and miter saw when we expanded the gym downstairs.  Seems like a natural swap.  🤔

Pinewood Derby Update 03-28-2023.jpg

I'd say it does. Nice work.

• Thanks 1

That’s a Bitchin pinewood derby design. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'd say it does. Nice work.

Thanks!  In all seriousness I could feel it in my hands and forearms for an hour or so afterward.  My left hand was working like a bench vise and my right hand was doing all the tool work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

That’s a Bitchin pinewood derby design. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

Thanks!  I'll post a follow up photo before race day.  It's my son's first year in Cub Scouts (as a kindergartner) and he wanted a Formula One type car.  🏎️🏁

Fortunately his sisters (who are racing against the Cub Scouts) had less complicated designs.  😊

03-29-2023 Girls Pinewood Derby Cars.jpg

• Like 1

nice, so the real winner will be you.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice, so the real winner will be you.

We'll see what happens on race day.  I've been geeking out and watching YouTube videos on winning strategies to give my kids a decent chance.

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Those came out awesome.

Thanks!  My son's twin sister wanted a station wagon.  Picture a Pinewood Derby car shaped like the boxy Griswold Family Truckster in National Lampoon's Vacation.  But we compromised on the pink car's final (more aerodynamic) design.   😂🤣😅

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks!  My son's twin sister wanted a station wagon.  Picture a Pinewood Derby car shaped like the boxy Griswold Family Truckster in National Lampoon's Vacation.  But we compromised on the pink car's final (more aerodynamic) design.   😂🤣😅

national lampoon animation GIF by Mathew Lucas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First time attempting to lift my York NextGen Blob and Hex 100 at the same time.

Musical Inspiration: "Death and Insanity" by Hallows Eve from the album "Death and Insanity" released in August 1986.

• Like 2

Attempting to hold the Hex 100 for about ten seconds with each hand to build some strength and endurance.

Musical Inspiration: "Milk (Ode to Billy)" (S.O.D. cover) by Anthrax from the album "Attack of the Killer B's" released in June 1991.

• Like 4

Not much "training" lately.

Took a little family trip down to Williamsburg, VA for Spring Break.  Toting luggage and lifting kids were my workouts.  May not sound like much but carrying 45 pound twins at the same time through an amusement park and historic area gets tiring after a while.  They also like for me to clean/press them or swing them like kettlebells, so it really is a workout.  😄

Wednesday was a four-hour drive home, unloading/unpacking, and then straight to cutting up a Hex 120 dumbbell with a hacksaw.

Then yesterday I decided to finally start replacing the shelf brackets in my gym with beefy steel instead of that cheap, stamped stuff from the previous homeowner.  Not hard work, but a good bit of lifting/moving stuff, drilling, bolting, etc.  Still working on it again today (once I hop off the computer)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

...yesterday I decided to finally start replacing the shelf brackets in my gym with beefy steel instead of that cheap, stamped stuff from the previous homeowner.

This project was long overdue.  Just looked at the packing slip and this stuff shipped in April 2020.  But with a kindergartner and twins (that had just turned three) suddenly at home all day, every day...the box simply got shoved into a corner of the basement.  🙄

Shelf Brackets.jpg

• Like 1