Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

16 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s awesome. Best part is the memories made.

Yeah...as much as I enjoy grip, my family is my world.

• Like 1

Got a York Legacy 125 block weight from @ZRMMA that arrived on April 21, 2023 while I was recording a lift of my York Next Gen Blob by the face. So I went ahead and recorded the unboxing and my initial impressions.

This thing is a BEAST. Totally next level in size and slope.

If you want to see it lifted, you're going to need to watch Zach's video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkaQQ9STEE for the time being. This will be a stretch goal for me for a long time.

• Like 6

Someone on Ebay had a pair of 50lb scale weights for $1/pound SHIPPED.

Next thing you know...I'm unboxing and lifting them today.

Sometimes you've just got to jump on stuff before it's gone.

Musical Inspiration: "Aerials" by System of a Down from the album "Toxicity" released in September 2001.

• Like 7

F#$&ing sweet 

• Thanks 1

First Attempts with Napalm Nightmare 04-24-2023

2" x 5" blocks were difficult for me.  Only worked up to 126lb plus the pin and handles.

2" handles went better.  Last full lift was 315lb plus the pin and handles.

Felt a little twinge in my lower left rib area so I threw on the belt before attempting 340lb plus the pin and handles.

Broke the ground but nowhere near lockout.  Plenty of work ahead of me.

Musical Inspiration: "Chac Mool" by Rodrigo y Gabriela from the album "11:11" released in September 2009.

• Like 6

nice lifts

that's some different music  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

nice lifts

that's some different music  

Thanks...I'm still feeling out these lifts.  Less aggressive music to reflect that...

Edited by Douglas Carney

Couldn't wait to try the new (to me) Tetting Beginner (RGC 55), Powerball 250 (RGC 109), and Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) grippers from @Cannon.

Musical Inspiration: "Pipeline" by Agent Orange from the album "Bitchin' Summer" released in 1982.

• Like 4

You gave the 109 and 117 a ride considering you put on a lot of reps before you got there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You gave the 109 and 117 a ride considering you put on a lot of reps before you got there!

Today was actually supposed to be a rest day.  But like I said...I couldn't wait.  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Working on York Next Gen Blob Face Picks 04-25-2023

Not the ideal timing... Napalm Nightmare work yesterday. Gripper work earlier today.

But I wanted to do some wide pinch, too. And York Next Gen Blob Face Picks are about the widest thing I can do.

Hampton 90 seemed manageable. But I gassed out when I hit the Hex 100. Going to have to save that feat for another day.

Musical Inspiration: "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi from the album "Slippery When Wet" released in August 1986.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

First Attempts with Napalm Nightmare 04-24-2023

2" x 5" blocks were difficult for me.  Only worked up to 126lb plus the pin and handles.

2" handles went better.  Last full lift was 315lb plus the pin and handles.

Felt a little twinge in my lower left rib area so I threw on the belt before attempting 340lb plus the pin and handles.

Broke the ground but nowhere near lockout.  Plenty of work ahead of me.

Musical Inspiration: "Chac Mool" by Rodrigo y Gabriela from the album "11:11" released in September 2009.

Nice! My max w/ 2” was 240lbs but I’ve never deadlifted. That’s a real strong number number to start with. You’ll be hitting 400lbs soon enough. My max with 2x5 pinch was/is only 140lbs. But lately it’s been suffering for whatever reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice! My max w/ 2” was 240lbs but I’ve never deadlifted. That’s a real strong number number to start with. You’ll be hitting 400lbs soon enough. My max with 2x5 pinch was/is only 140lbs. But lately it’s been suffering for whatever reason.

Thanks for giving me some perspective!

I was trying to gauge where I stood based on the results from a Napalm Nightmare event last December and my 2x5 pinch would have been near the bottom of the list.  So I'm thinking I have a ton of work ahead of me.

Although in all fairness, Odd Haugen and Jedd Johnson finished at the top of that event and I know I'm NOWHERE NEAR their level..so maybe I should cut myself some slack.  😄

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks for giving me some perspective!

I was trying to gauge where I stood based on the results from a Napalm Nightmare event last December and my 2x5 pinch would have been near the bottom of the list.  So I'm thinking I have a ton of work ahead of me.

Although in all fairness, Odd Haugen and Jedd Johnson finished at the top of that event and I know I'm NOWHERE NEAR their level..so maybe I should cut myself some slack.  😄

I know what you mean. I’ve got my work cut out for me too. But that’s half the fun.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know what you mean. I’ve got my work cut out for me too. But that’s half the fun.

It's addictive...

• Like 1

340lb on Napalm Nightmare 04-28-2023

Good News: 340lb for a full lift today

Bad News: Still a lot of work ahead of me to crack the 400s

Musical Inspiration: "Slave to the Grind" by Skid Row from the album "Slave to the Grind" released in June 1991.

• Like 5

Hex 100 and two 50lb Scale Weights 04-28-2023

Finally recorded the right hand lifting two 50lb scale weights together.

Oh...and there was also a Hex 100 in the mix.

Musical Inspiration: "Get Up" by Dropkick Murphys from the album "Do Or Die" released in 1998.

• Like 4

Hex 100 and Blob Face Pick 04-28-2023

Last successful lift of the night...

I'm going to keep lifting this York Next Gen Blob by the face until I graduate to the York Legacy 110 by the face.

Musical Inspiration: "Coffee Mug" by Descendents from the album "Everything Sucks" released in 1996.

• Like 5

Apparently I misjudged how tired my hands were from home improvement projects over the weekend.

York Next Gen Blob Face Pick I was hoping for more than +5 pounds.

Iron Grip 120 +7.5 pounds never made it past my knees.

And technique limited me to around 3 seconds with a CoC #1.5 gripper and a 9 pound silver bullet.

Musical Inspiration: "Martyr" by Fear Factory from the album "Soul of a New Machine" released in August 1992.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 5

SUPPER COOL

Great music, were did you get that weight, that thing is cool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

SUPPER COOL

Great music, were did you get that weight, that thing is cool

Thanks John!

The skull weights are from Bare Steel Equipment. They're not cheap but stick super well to irregular iron objects like block weights. Frankly I got tired of my PlateMates falling off.

https://baresteelequipment.com/collections/stacked-weight-pin/products/micro-stack-weight-pin

https://baresteelequipment.com/collections/stacked-weight-pin/products/stubby-stack-weight-pin

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks John!

The skull weights are from Bare Steel Equipment. They're not cheap but stick super well to irregular iron objects like block weights. Frankly I got tired of my PlateMates falling off.

https://baresteelequipment.com/collections/stacked-weight-pin/products/micro-stack-weight-pin

https://baresteelequipment.com/collections/stacked-weight-pin/products/stubby-stack-weight-pin

I might buy a pair of those.  Those are cool.

It always cracks me up, i listen to all sorts of music, but when I lift its gotta be laid back, like Moody Blues, Pink Floyd Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson.... or even the Carpenters. Then I watch your guys videos and its all hard rock heavy metal, which I also like.   

I need to tone it down and relax to lift, and it seems most people need the heavy stuff to get amped up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I might buy a pair of those.  Those are cool.

It always cracks me up, i listen to all sorts of music, but when I lift its gotta be laid back, like Moody Blues, Pink Floyd Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson.... or even the Carpenters. Then I watch your guys videos and its all hard rock heavy metal, which I also like.   

I need to tone it down and relax to lift, and it seems most people need the heavy stuff to get amped up.  

I like the other bands you mentioned...but for me the heavier the lift, the heavier the music.

Ex. Slipknot is my PR soundtrack. Their angry energy adds 5lbs. :rock

• Like 3

yep 💪

• Like 1

Unboxing York 65lb DB & FAILED ATTEMPT 05-03-2023

Another case of "I should have waited another day or two..."

But I had already waited over a month for this York 65lb dumbbell to arrive from an eBay seller in Hawaii, so I went ahead and unboxed it anyway.

...and that's about all that happened. Leftie got it to break the ground, but otherwise this was a humbling chunk of iron.

Musical Inspiration: "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed from the album "Immortalized" released in August 2015.

• Like 4