Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Cleaning and Pressing York Dumbbells by the top (inverted) 15lb – 40lb

These dumbbells were in the middle of my gym floor thanks to the bracket project AND I recently saw Zach Mullins @ZRMMA lifting York dumbbells on YouTube...so I was inspired to drag them all outside and press them overhead before I put them away.

Musical Inspiration: "You Can't Bring Me Down" by Suicidal Tendencies from the album "Lights...Camera...Revolution!" released in July 1990.

• Like 8

Great lifting music , nice work on the clean and press to

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Great lifting music , nice work on the clean and press to

ROCK ON, JOHN!  :rock

Born Stubborn April 2023

April 10, 2023…Go for the GHP 6 (RGC 128) despite missing the GHP 5 (RGC 110) by 1/8”.  🤪

April 11, 2023…Lift block weights the day after grippers and don’t give up until you get a good lift.  🙄

Musical Inspiration: "Born Stubborn" by Sepultura from the album "Roots" released in February 1996.

• Like 5

You would have got that ghp 6 with a better set in my opinion. Your basically going for TNS on those. Have you tried playing around with your set technique? 

Strong block lifting. What your next goal since you lifted the blob? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

You would have got that ghp 6 with a better set in my opinion. Your basically going for TNS on those. Have you tried playing around with your set technique? 

Strong block lifting. What your next goal since you lifted the blob? 

Thanks @Stephen Ruby.  I joined https://thegripauthority.com/ earlier this year because I never learned to set grippers properly and my technique could use a lot of help.  😔  I need to make them a priority and invest the time to learn and practice.

Hard to take my focus off the block weights though because this has been a big year for me lifting the blob (thanks to guidance and assistance from @Jedd Johnson).  I have two stretch goals right now...(1) double blob lift and (2) hex 120 lift.

Not sure which will happen first.  But theoretically...both feats lie on the same training path because block weights carryover to block weights.

• Like 2

Nice blobbing!
I agree with Stephen, you basically tried to no set the #5, and the #6 looked wide as well. 

Have you thought about going for a blob facelift? It's a great feat if your hand size allows you to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, matek said:

Nice blobbing!
I agree with Stephen, you basically tried to no set the #5, and the #6 looked wide as well. 

Have you thought about going for a blob facelift? It's a great feat if your hand size allows you to do it. 

Yeah...I think I need to take a step back and practice setting with one of my unfiled lighter grippers like a GHP Level 3 (RGC 70) or Powerball 200 (RGC 80).  Then once I get that down and it feels natural/consistent (however long that takes) I can go back to the heavier grippers.

I have to check measurements again before I commit to a blob face lift/pick.  Largest block weight I've lifted by the face (to date) is a York 95 and that was only with my left hand.  It's a very wide stretch for me and not a lot of contact with my thumb and fingers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I have to check measurements again before I commit to a blob face lift/pick.  Largest block weight I've lifted by the face (to date) is a York 95 and that was only with my left hand.  It's a very wide stretch for me and not a lot of contact with my thumb and fingers.

Just compared a face pick/lift hand position on my York 95 to the York Next Gen blob, York Fat Man blob, Hex 100, Red Pill, and York Legacy 110.

I won't bother posting photos but it's obvious that the Red Pill and York Legacy 110 are literally and figuratively "out of my reach."

Closest candidates within reason are the York Next Gen blob and Hex 100.  Tricky part with the Hex 100 will be the slope.  But that's what will make it awesome if I do it...  The challenge of it all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just compared a face pick/lift hand position on my York 95 to the York Next Gen blob, York Fat Man blob, Hex 100, Red Pill, and York Legacy 110.

I won't bother posting photos but it's obvious that the Red Pill and York Legacy 110 are literally and figuratively "out of my reach."

Closest candidates within reason are the York Next Gen blob and Hex 100.  Tricky part with the Hex 100 will be the slope.  But that's what will make it awesome if I do it...  The challenge of it all.

York next gen/hex it is then! Or just start curling blobs 😄
I have only face lifted a KWN40 so far (fairly easy now), but it is theoretically possible for me to face lift the KWN50, so one day, maybe. But it is an entirely different lift of course, compared to regular blob lifts.

Red pill face lift, lol. I know Tim Butler can do it (he even did a cheat face curl with it because he is a madman), but probably a feat only a very few could replicate simply because of the required hand span. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, matek said:

York next gen/hex it is then! Or just start curling blobs 😄
I have only face lifted a KWN40 so far (fairly easy now), but it is theoretically possible for me to face lift the KWN50, so one day, maybe. But it is an entirely different lift of course, compared to regular blob lifts.

Red pill face lift, lol. I know Tim Butler can do it (he even did a cheat face curl with it because he is a madman), but probably a feat only a very few could replicate simply because of the required hand span. 

Ever since I went downstairs to measure hand size I've been itching to do a "test run" with the hex 100.  I've tried (and failed) with the Next Gen face pick/lift but haven't tried a face pick/lift with the hex 100 yet.  It's now "on the list" (although I'm not ruling out the occasional curl or clean with lighter weights).

That's cool you've lifted the KWN40.  Definitely post a video when you face lift the KWN50!

And my goodness...face curling a Red Pill?!?  I can't even wrap my head around how hard that must be.  WOW...  🤯🧠

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks @Stephen Ruby.  I joined https://thegripauthority.com/ earlier this year because I never learned to set grippers properly and my technique could use a lot of help.  😔  I need to make them a priority and invest the time to learn and practice.

Hard to take my focus off the block weights though because this has been a big year for me lifting the blob (thanks to guidance and assistance from @Jedd Johnson).  I have two stretch goals right now...(1) double blob lift and (2) hex 120 lift.

Not sure which will happen first.  But theoretically...both feats lie on the same training path because block weights carryover to block weights.

Let's do this, brotherrrr!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Yeah buddy.  Best place to go!

Wish I had joined sooner...  But now I'm a lifetime member so I can continue learning and lifting!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Wish I had joined sooner...  But now I'm a lifetime member so I can continue learning and lifting!

Best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. 2nd best is TODAY!

• Like 1

I couldn't resist the temptation of trying to face pick my York Next Gen Blob, @matek😄

Warm Up:  Face picks of York 45, 50, 60, 75, 80, and 85 block weights.

Main Event:  York Next Gen Blob breaking the ground at 3:48 mark.

Musical Inspiration: "Overkill" by Motörhead from the album "Overkill" released in March 1979.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I couldn't resist the temptation of trying to face pick my York Next Gen Blob, @matek😄

Warm Up:  Face picks of York 45, 50, 60, 75, 80, and 85 block weights.

Main Event:  York Next Gen Blob breaking the ground at 3:48 mark.

Musical Inspiration: "Overkill" by Motörhead from the album "Overkill" released in March 1979.

Very nice attempt! Your hands are definitely big enough to do it. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, matek said:

Very nice attempt! Your hands are definitely big enough to do it. 👍

In that split second when it broke the ground, I was like...ok...this is possible...now it's a matter of time and training.

• Like 3

Blobbin to Moterhead. I like it. And you have that. In 6 months it will be like picking up a coin to you.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Blobbin to Moterhead. I like it. And you have that. In 6 months it will be like picking up a coin to you.

@Blacksmith513 and Motörhead ROCK!  :rock

Thanks for your support!  And stay tuned...  That face pick is coming this summer.

• Like 1

Another blob face pick attempt @matek and more Motörhead @Blacksmith513...  😄

Warm Up [Not shown]: Face picks of York 45, 50, 60, 75, 80, and 85 block weights.

York 85 plus 10 pounds of PlateMates (50.8lb total): Left hand success, but right hand was a victim of falling magnets.

York Next Gen Blob (50.0lb): Nearly a full lift with my left hand, but lost it at the top. Right hand spent at that point.

Musical Inspiration: "Ace of Spades" by Motörhead from the album "Ace of Spades" released in October 1980.

Edited by Douglas Carney
Added total weight of York 85 +10lb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Another blob face pick attempt @matek and more Motörhead @Blacksmith513...  😄

Warm Up [Not shown]: Face picks of York 45, 50, 60, 75, 80, and 85 block weights.

York 85 plus 10 pounds of PlateMates (50.8lb total): Left hand success, but right hand was a victim of falling magnets.

York Next Gen Blob (50.0lb): Nearly a full lift with my left hand, but lost it at the top. Right hand spent at that point.

Musical Inspiration: "Ace of Spades" by Motörhead from the album "Ace of Spades" released in October 1980.

Almost!! I think you'll need another blob goal soon🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, matek said:

Almost!! I think you'll need another blob goal soon🙂

Got it a lot closer than I expected.  Feels like it will be achievable eventually with more work.  I appreciate the support and encouragement!

• Like 1

cool blobs, cool music, great lifting

• Thanks 1