Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

I'm new to the community and want a place where I can share a bit about my training and get feedback from members.

• Like 3

March 11, 2023 was a h-u-g-e day for me!  First time ever that I lifted my York NextGen (100) blob to lockout.

• Like 5

Part of my warmup before lifting the blob was lifting my 80 and 85 at the same time...

• Like 2

And, I was still feeling strong so I celebrated with a Yuengling (in honor Jedd Johnson who helped me immensely on my grip journey) and rolled out my new Gods of Grip 14kg Cannonball Blob.

• Like 3

March 18, 2023 I decided to try something "new" to me...lifting an inverted dumbbell by the head.

• Like 2

I need to get used to heavier weights if I ever want to lift the Fat Man blob, so I stuck 5 pounds of PlateMates on my Iron Grip 120.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

And, I was still feeling strong so I celebrated with a Yuengling (in honor Jedd Johnson who helped me immensely on my grip journey) and rolled out my new Gods of Grip 14kg Cannonball Blob.

Welcome! Jedd is helping me along with my grip journey right now. I love an ice cold Yuengling when I’m in Upstate NY.  Looking forward to following your progression.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the welcome!  That NextGen blob would still be glued to the floor without Jedd.  Wish I had joined https://thegripauthority.com/ sooner and saved myself all that time trying to figure things out on my own.

• Like 1

Strong pinching! Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, matek said:

Strong pinching! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much!

• Like 2

killer work ,Welcome to the board

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

killer work ,Welcome to the board

Thank you, John!

• Like 1

cool gym too

• Like 3

On 3/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, John Knowlton said:

cool gym too

Thank you!  It's evolved over time and is a place where I "want" to work out (if that makes sense).

Yesterday was Pull, Bize, and Trize Day and since I'm new to both the forum and YouTube, I thought I'd have some fun with it.

Musical Inspiration: "Orion" by Metallica from the album "Master of Puppets" released in March 1986.

Exercises and Equipment listed in the YouTube description.

• Like 3

NICE  WORKOUT, Killer music to. 

I like those lat bars, you got a way cool gym

• Like 1

Nice one, good song.

Are you lifting the red pill yet?

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE  WORKOUT, Killer music to. 

I like those lat bars, you got a way cool gym

Thanks!  My apologies if you missed the three minute low/slow section in the middle of "Orion."  But I only had five minutes of videos...

My favorite, all-around lat bar is the 2" x 48" Black Widow (https://www.blackwidowtg.com/Lat_Assassin_Lat_pull_down_cable_attachment_p/cable-ttg-latrow.htm).  I have a number of things from them.

Mike Bartos' I-Beam, while not exactly a lat bar, is a great finger crimp-type exercise (https://www.mbpowercenter.com/product/i-beam-cable-attachment/).

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice one, good song.

Are you lifting the red pill yet?

No-go on the Red Pill.  I've tried twice and still glued to the floor.

Full disclosure...I haven't broken the Fat Man from the floor either.  The NextGen was a h-u-g-e accomplishment for me a week and a half ago.

The Red Pill is starting to take some chalk but still super slick.  This one's a stretch goal for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

No-go on the Red Pill.  I've tried twice and still glued to the floor.

Full disclosure...I haven't broken the Fat Man from the floor either.  The NextGen was a h-u-g-e accomplishment for me a week and a half ago.

The Red Pill is starting to take some chalk but still super slick.  This one's a stretch goal for me.

I have no doubt you’ll get it. I’m very far from lifting it but I own one and someday I’ll get it. 

• Like 1

I just plan to keep putting in the work, getting stronger, and refining my technique.  The Red Pill will go up--for both of us.

• Like 1

Silarukov Parallel Handgripper (second setting) compared to rated grippers (a very unscientific experiment).

Musical Inspiration: "Santo Domingo" by Rodrigo y Gabriela from the album "11:11" released in September 2009.

• Like 6

Great video , killer grip work

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Great video , killer grip work

Thanks John!  I haven't done much gripper work in 2023 because I was so focused on block weights.

Back story:  My NextGen Blob broke the ground (right hand) for the first time 1/13/2023 after a call with @Jedd Johnson that morning.  That was inspiring, but I didn't break the ground with my left hand until 2/24/2023.  And it wasn't until 3/11/2023 that I finally got the full lifts (both hands) that I posted.

Basically I was so excited about the NextGen Blob that I did two full months of open-hand oriented work at the detriment of gripper training--which admittedly really needs a lot of work.  The technique in my video above is "unrefined" at best.  So my plan is to do a deep-dive on  https://thegripauthority.com/  in late spring/early summer and break some bad habits while learning proper (i.e., more efficient/effective) methods.

• Like 3

Lifting the Hampton 90 +12.5lb  (54.2lb total)

This was the last “warmup” set before unboxing and attempting the Hex 100.

Unfortunately my right hand was still a bit tired from yesterday’s gripper training, but my left hand was feeling strong today.

Musical Inspiration: "Black Wind, Fire and Steel" by Manowar from the album "Fighting the World" released in February 1987.

• Like 4