Heavy Hands 2023

ZRMMA

Heavy Hands 2023 

Sanctioned Comp held on Sept 9th 

Myself and @Ben Helms will be hosting this competition in Virginia.

if anyone has any questions regarding the competition you can comment on here or message me. 

I will continue to post updates and information for the competition as things develop. 

Entry: $20

Events 
• 2” One Hand Nightmare (6”Lift)
• 2 3/8” FBBC Andrews Axle (Lockout)
• 3” Saxon (Arm assassin) Lockout 
• Little Bighorn (6” Lift)

• Rising Bar Format (Last Man Standing)

• Weight Classes

Men’s- 66kg,74kg,83kg,93kg,105kg,120kg, 120+Kg

Women’s- 47kg,52kg,63kg,72kg,84kg,100kg, 100+kg

Registered/Confirmed Lifters

• Vinny Ferraiuolo (74kg)

• Jay Ripley (74kg)

• Vinnie Rivellese (83kg)

• William Reed (83kg)

• Josh Davis (83kg)

• Eric Roussin (93kg)

• Zach Mullins (93kg)

• Russell Beggarly (93kg)

• Zach Ebel (93kg)

• John Foelber (93kg)

• Brandon Hayslett (93kg)

• Christopher Huiner (93kg)

• Rob Sully (105kg)

• Jason Matkowski (105kg)

• Michael Dalton (105kg)

• Ben Helms (105kg)

• Doug Carney (120kg)

• Jedd Johnson (120kg) 

• Chaz Strange (120kg)

• Jaland Worley (120kg)

• Tim Einstein (120kg)

• Wolfgang Wesen (120+kg)

• Bob Kropp (120+kg)

• Nick Sanders (120+kg)

Edited by ZRMMA
  • Like 13

This'll be a good one, if you're in the area definitely try and make it!

• Like 4

Definitely a comp I would be willing to drive to from Long Island -- just need to see whether it fits into schedule, but I've driven further for grip comps!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’ll be there! I’d like to shoot a video of the event as well. I’ll do some promotional stuff for it over on IG and YT once it gets closer. 

What’s the history on Heavy Hands? Is this the first one? Has it happened in the past? 

• Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 10:20 PM, VintageWeightsPGH said:

I’ll be there! I’d like to shoot a video of the event as well. I’ll do some promotional stuff for it over on IG and YT once it gets closer. 

What’s the history on Heavy Hands? Is this the first one? Has it happened in the past? 

This is the first one. Me and Ben Helms are hosting and want this competition to be a yearly event. We are putting effort in to make sure that this is one of the biggest grip comps every year on people's calendar.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, ZRMMA said:

This is the first one. Me and Ben Helms are hosting and want this competition to be a yearly event. We are putting effort in to make sure that this is one of the biggest grip comps every year on people's calendar.

I’ll pitch however I can! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nationals is over,  time for HEAVY HANDS prep! 

20230615_160238.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, stranger said:

20230615_160238.jpg

I see you are using a 2 3/8 Napalm nightmare to prep for 2 3/8 Andrew's Axle.  That might not work for me.  I might not be able to deadlift by any grip the amount I can pull on 2 3/8 from higher up.  Although 2 3/8 is pretty thick.   I might actually not be able to hold onto my max oly bar deadlift at that width.  But it'd be close.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I see you are using a 2 3/8 Napalm nightmare to prep for 2 3/8 Andrew's Axle.  That might not work for me.  I might not be able to deadlift by any grip the amount I can pull on 2 3/8 from higher up.  Although 2 3/8 is pretty thick.   I might actually not be able to hold onto my max oly bar deadlift at that width.  But it'd be close.

I'm planning on making a 2-3/8 bar from some pipe but just substituting for now. I think my goal will be 300 on the Andrew's Axle but I'll get a better feel with an actual bar

• Like 4

Just bought the stubby's from Luke just for Heavy Hands !!

Really pisses me off when my left fails before right...20230606_190403.thumb.jpg.3d3d07daa1ba76f6a56f40df2a03d663.jpg

Edited by Vinny F
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Vinny F said:

Just bought the stubby's from Luke just for Heavy Hands !!

Really pisses me off when my left fails before right...20230606_190403.thumb.jpg.3d3d07daa1ba76f6a56f40df2a03d663.jpg

Nice pickups! 

Try shifting your hands to the left more if your left hand is failling. It'll put more load on your right and less on your left. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, stranger said:

I'm planning on making a 2-3/8 bar from some pipe but just substituting for now. I think my goal will be 300 on the Andrew's Axle but I'll get a better feel with an actual bar

That might be a good goal for me too.  I think I have done in the 280s-290s on the 2 3/8 napalm nightmare, and my deadlift max (with a regular old oly bar!) is maybe 310-315, so 300 is very close to the most I could move no matter how I hold it, but also probably would be hard for me to hold onto with that thick a bar.  I've done 308 on 2-inch axle and struggled to get it off the ground at all, but because of the weight, not the hold -- once I locked out, I held it for several seconds and put it down only because there were more events.  I've held onto 400 DOH on an oly bar, no problem for the hands, but only if it is already mostly up because I just can't manage that kind of weight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stranger said:

Try shifting your hands to the left more if your left hand is failling. It'll put more load on your right and less on your left

I do this all the time on axle and also saxon bar, because my left is noticeably weaker than my right (my bad - what little I manage to train, I train more righty than lefty, especially bc King Kong with the one-hand stuff).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I think I have done in the 280s-290s

Oh, looks like I got exactly 300 on 2 3/8 NN at the 2022 NN championship at Jedd's.  But I will have more trouble with the lift from lower, so it is still a good goal for Andrew's Axle for me, should be within reach, no pun intended, at least if I run to the gym for some leg work the month before to make sure I can actually get 300 off the ground ...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, stranger said:

I was just talking with my wife about Heavy Hands this morning.

Think she may be warming up to the idea of a trip to Charlottesville...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

I was just talking with my wife about Heavy Hands this morning.

Think she may be warming up to the idea of a trip to Charlottesville...

Hell yea!

• Like 5

Just got verbal approval!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just got verbal approval!

get it etched in stone!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://ironpodium.com/browse/event/heavy-hands

Update for everyone. Ben has put up the event on this link. This is not mandatory to sign up for the competition. We will accept cash at the door/PayPal etc. 

I am posting this here if there is anyone who is interested in paying ahead of time or registering online. If people do choose to register online I will post the confirmed lifters in this thread as the list grows.

If anyone has any questions about the event they can message me on here or email me at Zachmullinsmma@gmail.com

Edited by ZRMMA
  • Like 4

On 6/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

get it etched in stone!

10 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

https://ironpodium.com/browse/event/heavy-hands

Update for everyone. Ben has put up the event on this link. ...  I am posting this here if there is anyone who is interested in paying ahead of time or registering online. ...

My wife booked train tickets and hotel the other day.  Seems "etched in stone" to me, so I just registered online to make it "official."  😎👍

• Like 5

I would love to see what I can get on the Andrew's Axle ...

I need to see if I have my son that weekend, if not, I may make the drive from NY and see if I can entice Tim Butler (@temmmeeee) and others to come, too.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

... I may make the drive from NY and see if I can entice Tim Butler and others to come, too.

That would be great if the timing works out!  Haven't had the opportunity to meet you, Tim, Zach or Ben in-person yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

That would be great if the timing works out!  Haven't had the opportunity to meet you, Tim, Zach or Ben in-person yet.

It appears that the timing DOES work out, so I will likely attend this one.  Even more likely if I get road trip companions in on it.

• Like 3