Best smooth handle gripper close?

Cannon

MAN THATS SUPPER COOL!

10 hours ago, bdckr said:

Loved the video you  made back in the day of closing a #3 after dipping the handles in oil

@bdckrThanks man!  I miss those days.  

So right now we're sitting at likely high 150s for the best smooth handle gripper close. The one by Adam that could be higher but we don't know. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cannon said:

So right now we're sitting at likely high 150s for the best smooth handle gripper close. The one by Adam that could be higher but we don't know. 

I think someone out there has done a LOT higher than the 150s, surely.  Although the smooth-handled grippers are not super common to have in a gripper collection, admittedly.  

I would be interested in the best 5/8" handled gripper closes.  MMS, TNS, etc.  Not smooth-handled, but super knurled, like the beast you loaned me.

Ivan Cuk has done a TNS with a 187 rated GG6, Not the widest gripper but the knurling on those are basically a formality

• Like 3

On 3/14/2023 at 2:50 PM, Cannon said:

I think you would find these go beyond knurling preference. They are simply “harder” from a mechanical standpoint due to the lack of engagement at contacts. If you are able to keep it in position (and maybe therefore lose less strength) I think that would be related to hand anatomy. Like a very bulbous and firm thumb pad. Even then, I think you’d still lose some closing ability versus knurled. That has been my experience in using these and seeing others use them. 🤗

This is why I think my AG that’s rated 305 would be a monumental feat of grip strength. It’s already super heavy with it’s rated but zero knurling makes it exponentially more difficult. As someone with smaller hands this is why I do more TNS closes to condition and strengthen muscles and tendons at different angles because the gripper would likely move at least a little bit no matter what. I think this gripper is a level above any World Class or GHP 10 (even the 327 WC) due to the construction of this gripper.

What do you think? 

58 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I think this gripper is a level above any World Class or GHP 10 (even the 327 WC) due to the construction of this gripper.

What do you think? 

Agree. An actually uncloseable gripper. 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Agree. An actually uncloseable gripper. 

I promise to close this one day, it it my life grip goal (I have many life goals, this is my #1 one for grip-related training). I guarantee it. 

Also, I do want to collaborate in the future on making a batch of smooth handle grippers as well as Tetting Thor (.375” spring) replicas that will be built to target 500lb RGC.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I promise to close this one day

Good luck 😁

16 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Good luck 😁

I will give it all I’ve got! Optimal diet with nothing but organic foods and getting proper macro-nutrient amount, sleep, mastering technique, constant coaching, increasing overall body strength. 

Where would one rank all time with such a close?

• Haha 1

I think we could take into account the results on Vulcans. They are super wide and have smooth handles.

There are many old videos with high rgc attempts.

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

I think we could take into account the results on Vulcans. They are super wide and have smooth handles.

I like the Vulcans.  But I don't think many were RGCd.  I remember seeing huge Vulcan MMS closes on video, especially from across the pond.

• Like 2

David Shamey's level 27 Vulcan CROM spring close is hands down the best smooth handle gripper close in my opinion.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

I just feel it's a different animal despite those similarities. Linear travel, reverse strength curve. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

David Shamey's level 27 Vulcan CROM spring close is hands down the best smooth handle gripper close in my opinion.

I think it has to be best *Vulcan close. It really doesn't compare to TSGs very well. 

• Like 2

@CannonI was checking out your Adjustable Standard Gripper (although it is sold out), and I think that the aluminum barrels on the different springs could be used as smooth handled grippers in their own right.  Yes, it would be incredibly awkward from the looks of it.  But with the easiest spring it would be doable, unless the degree of closure would be too much for the spring to handle.  That could be its very own mini-cert...TNS close one of those extreme beyond the range smooth-handled truncated handle length grippers.  

On 3/17/2023 at 10:54 PM, Cannon said:

I just feel it's a different animal despite those similarities. Linear travel, reverse strength curve. 

Yes they are different. But we're talking level 27!!!!

He's right, that is by far the best close of a gripper with no knurling. 

I do wish there was more grippers without knurling available. I think they are great for volume training. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, Cannon said:

This is a smooth handle FBBC 4X close by Sam Solomi. These tended to be ungodly wide and the one in this video appears to be no exception. He was able to accomplish a really deep set and then followed with reps. I know that @kilkkinen rated some of Sam's grippers but cannot find evidence of a rating for this particular FBBC 4X.

I asked @PHATMUSCLE COACHING about the rating, and he tells me ~155

• 5 months later...

@CannonI don't see the Adjustable Standard Gripper for sale anymore.  Has it been removed from your gripper line permanently?  I'm going to ask my wife to buy it for my Christmas present this year.  If it's still around, that is.  I want one of the easier tensions to do TNS closes on the "bare" handles.  

3 minutes ago, Mashmonster268 said:

@CannonI don't see the Adjustable Standard Gripper for sale anymore.  Has it been removed from your gripper line permanently?  I'm going to ask my wife to buy it for my Christmas present this year.  If it's still around, that is.  I want one of the easier tensions to do TNS closes on the "bare" handles.  

Yes, that idea more or less passed away with our prior machinist, Tom. He was honestly giving us way too good of rates which is the only way that set made sense. It’s not that we will never bring it back however it is not a priority at this time.

Having said that, I have been able to cobble together three complete sets that I planned to sell closer to the holiday season. You will want to watch for those. :) 

• Like 2