Maryland's Strongest Hands 2023

lder

MSH 2023 logo.pdfHello All,

Maryland's Strongest Hands will be held this year on May 20 at my training studio, Renewed Strength LLC, in Sykesville Maryland.

This is an Armlifting USA sanctioned contest.  This is an open contest, and anyone can sign up to compete, however an Armlifting USA membership is required if you want your lifts to count toward season long rankings and leaderboard status.  

Competition lifts will be:

Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold (3 attempts)

Ironmind Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift (rising bar, unlimited attempts)

Sorinex Saxon Bar Deadlift 3" side (rising bar, unlimited attempts)

Grip medley will include York Blobs, Deep dish plates (hub), Sorinex CMBs, Inch Dumbbell, vintage shallow 20kg York Barbell hub lift, 100lb flat sided York pinch and more...

Exact scoring is still being finalized.  Silver Bullet, Axle and Saxon DL will all follow the rules laid out by Armlifting USA found on their website. 

More details including a registration link can be found HERE on the Renewed Strength LLC Facebook event page.  

Address:

Renewed Strength LLC 

1532 Liberty Road Suite 111

Sykesville, Maryland 21784

I am not on here much, please reach out by email (Renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com) with specific questions.  

Thank you,

John Foelber 

MSH 2023 logo.pdf

Edited by lder
Updated Logo
  • Like 6

Can't wait! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just signed up.  This will be my first grip contest.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

An email detailing the day of event schedule and other pertinent information has been sent to our registered lifters.   Registration is still open, email renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com to find out more or if you have questions.  Thank you.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The final results of this contest are attached to this post and will be available under the contest results tab on Armlifting USA website.  Thank you to all the athletes who participated.  It was a pleasure to host such a talented group and I look forward to hosting again next year (April 2024).   If you would like to find out more about next year's event or would be interested in a late summer or early fall event, please let me know by emailing renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.  Thank you!

Maryland's Strongest Hands 2023 Final.xlsx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lder said:

The final results of this contest are attached to this post and will be available under the contest results tab on Armlifting USA website.  Thank you to all the athletes who participated.  It was a pleasure to host such a talented group and I look forward to hosting again next year (April 2024).   If you would like to find out more about next year's event or would be interested in a late summer or early fall event, please let me know by emailing renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.  Thank you!

Maryland's Strongest Hands 2023 Final.xlsx 11.12 kB · 0 downloads

Nice job, everyone!  I really, really wanted to be at that comp, but it was on my girlfriend's birthday, and you can't tell your girlfriend you won't be at her birthday because you wanna grip instead.  Well, I guess you can tell her that once. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lder said:

Maryland's Strongest Hands 2023 Final.xlsx 11.12 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for having us and hosting such a well ran and fun contest! 

@Jedd Johnson @nickthetick @Douglas Carney

Screenshot_20230522-051037.png

Screenshot_20230522-051052.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, stranger said:

Thanks for having us and hosting such a well ran and fun contest! 

SECOND THAT!!!  Thank you John!  I'd love the opportunity to come back for another event at Renewed Strength.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Nice job, everyone!  I really, really wanted to be at that comp, but it was on my girlfriend's birthday, and you can't tell your girlfriend you won't be at her birthday because you wanna grip instead.  Well, I guess you can tell her that once. 

Yes you can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lder said:

I look forward to hosting again next year (April 2024)

I note that I did not come to the comp this year because it was on my girlfriend's birthday (that's also why I didn't come last May).  But guess whose birthday is in April?  MINE.  See y'all next year.  For my 55th!

• Haha 1

Just saw this :rolleyes  I hope this event in MD is hosted next year :calm:rock

• Like 3

Here's a video of my attempts at the contest. 

Got 3.5 SB for 16 sec

160kg Axle

80kg Saxon 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, stranger said:

Here's a video of my attempts at the contest. 

Got 3.5 SB for 16 sec

160kg Axle

80kg Saxon 

Did you make an attempt at SB on the 4?  16 seconds on a 3.5 suggests you would have a shot at the 4 for at least a second or 2, unless it was an easy 3.5 and a hard 4.  That's a nice long hold!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Did you make an attempt at SB on the 4?  16 seconds on a 3.5 suggests you would have a shot at the 4 for at least a second or 2, unless it was an easy 3.5 and a hard 4.  That's a nice long hold!

The #4 was 217 RGC and the 3.5 was 178.  In training I got a 217 fr 2 seconds so I knew it would be close. I tried the #4 on all 3 attempts that day but couldn't get it caught. 

• Like 2

supper cool video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stranger said:

The #4 was 217 RGC and the 3.5 was 178.  In training I got a 217 fr 2 seconds so I knew it would be close. I tried the #4 on all 3 attempts that day but couldn't get it caught. 

You were so close, Chaz.  Very impressive to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stranger said:

Yeah, 217 is tough.  I have never tried one at 217, but certainly could see missing that!  178 isn't light for a 3.5 either.  16 seconds is strong.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, 217 is tough.  I have never tried one at 217, but certainly could see missing that!  178 isn't light for a 3.5 either.  16 seconds is strong.

Tha ks Vin! If he has it in there next year I'm definitely getting a #4 hold 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stranger said:

Tha ks Vin! If he has it in there next year I'm definitely getting a #4 hold 

And I look forward to seeing it!

• Like 2

Had a minute, so thought I would post my vids from MSH

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Incase anyone is interested.  I ran this contest using calibrated plates and adjusted the starting weights, including collars, of both the axle and Saxon lift to 25kg.  The Axle had an addition 10kg added in plates with the 5kg competition Eleiko collars.  The Sorinex Saxon bar was loaded with 3.5kg in plates and Proloc collars.  This made precise weight jumps easier and with the help of a loading sheet the competitors knew exactly what was loaded at all times.  

IMG_20230519_155231943.jpg

IMG_20230519_154627265.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lder said:

Incase anyone is interested.  I ran this contest using calibrated plates and adjusted the starting weights, including collars, of both the axle and Saxon lift to 25kg.  The Axle had an addition 10kg added in plates with the 5kg competition Eleiko collars.  The Sorinex Saxon bar was loaded with 3.5kg in plates and Proloc collars.  This made precise weight jumps easier and with the help of a loading sheet the competitors knew exactly what was loaded at all times. 

For me, this is a clear example of the level of planning that made this such a well run event.  Looking forward to competing again in April!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

For me, this is a clear example of the level of planning that made this such a well run event.  Looking forward to competing again in April!

Doug,

I was meaning to share this earlier to clarify the weights lifted, especially with the Saxon Bar where the small change plates were not visible on most videos or pictures. Thanks again for competing, I look forward to seeing you at next year's contest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1