What did you find that the coc-strength carried over to the most?

Sino_

I am a bit of a re-awakened noob in this space so I have read on a bit more on it lately since it is a fun type of strength, grip. 

Now, seems the idea of the coc-grippers is a bit mixed. As a noob this is what you first discover and I guess what probably takes you into grip training overall. Then you also find other stuff of course.

Now, seems guys who knows what they are talking about are quite mixed on the grippers. Some say they have small or no carryover to other strength feats. Others seems to like them a lot and say that they have helped them with a lot of other strength feats.

So I wonder what did you see them carryover to in terms of strength? Did you notice an increase in other strength areas or how did it affect your overall strength? Perhaps not much at all, or perhaps nothing?

Edited by Sino_
  • Like 1

In regular climbing there's not an amazing amount of carry over but rope climbing or anything where you get enough curling of the fingers to reach the flexion that match a gripper range of motion theres a lot of carry over.

So bar work in calisthenics, rope climbing, deadlifts and other bar pulls(farmer carries, rack pulls etc).

• Like 2

The only thing I ever did that seemed to offer any carry over at all was finger curls.

• Like 2

They do help with your deadlift grip. And they may have some carry over to thinner tube shaped Excalibur-style handles since I got a decent PR in one of them after not touching it for a whole year. 

But I do train in powerlifting religiously so I can't be sure if grippers alone would have helped me. 

• Like 3

Well there is the concept of training specificity so grippers are generally better for getting better at grippers...if theres some other goal then some type of training similar to that should be getting done. I don't use them for any other purpose than getting better at grippers

• Like 4

Handshaking and using side-cutters. Haha.

I shook a guy's hand yesterday, and he said I hurt him. I wasn't even squeezing hard. And I was using side cutters for work daily and noticed they became substantially easier to use after I started training with grippers. Not sport related, but I noticed carryover there.

I believe my general bar grip strength with things such as deadlifts and pullups, and even holding heavy dumbbells, have also benefited.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Handshaking and using side-cutters. Haha.

I shook a guy's hand yesterday, and he said I hurt him. I wasn't even squeezing hard. And I was using side cutters for work daily and noticed they became substantially easier to use after I started training with grippers. Not sport related, but I noticed carryover there.

I believe my general bar grip strength with things such as deadlifts and pullups, and even holding heavy dumbbells, have also benefited.

Sometimes at work, i'll take some nippers and squeeze them and try and cut through nails, or at least enough i can snap them. I've often thought, if i was good with grippers i'd cut through nails a lot easier. Do about 20 of those your elbows will be feeling it.

• Like 3

In the gym: Thick bar, DO deadlifts, pull-ups, wrist curls, ulnar deviation.

In every day life (work):  Using pliers, turning wrenches and just lifting stuff in general.

What it did not help anything with was pinching strength in any way.

• Like 5

Now I can get the last drops of ketchup out of the plastic bottle 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, matek said:

Now I can get the last drops of ketchup out of the plastic bottle 👍

And everything lands on your shirt :D 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Well there is the concept of training specificity so grippers are generally better for getting better at grippers...if theres some other goal then some type of training similar to that should be getting done. I don't use them for any other purpose than getting better at grippers

specificity and simplicity, two key aspects of training that in today's average joe gym goer are long lost

• Like 3

Well said

Any racket sport: badminton, tennis, squash... at least that is the reason I started doing grippers. Obviously if your arm grows twice the size from squeezing coc 4 your performance in these sports would drop just because of additional weight, also there is an upper limit where additional grip strength is not beneficial but I'm not a pro so I don't care about that. Just saying that if any racket sport athlete playing at club level got #2.5 grip strength, their performance would increase massively.

• Like 2

A friend of mine started training grippers to get better at braking on his downhill cycling.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

A friend of mine started training grippers to get better at braking on his downhill cycling.

I heard someone else say they wanted to get into grippers to help hold the clutch on their motorcycle. I was surprised this was something anyone would even have an issue with. Then again I rode motorcycles from like age 8 to 22 and never thought about, and never considered that that was a strength anyone would have an issue with.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:50 PM, dubyagrip said:

I have a friend who has done motocross for 20 years. Brutal on your forearms. He's got very good grip strength 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I have a friend who has done motocross for 20 years. Brutal on your forearms. He's got very good grip strength 

Yes, that was what my friend was mentioning about his cycling.  He lives in the San Francisco area and there are many steep hills that really test your ability to brake.  I never would have thought about it.  Riding a bike seems so easy.  :D 

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Yes, that was what my friend was mentioning about his cycling.  He lives in the San Francisco area and there are many steep hills that really test your ability to brake.  I never would have thought about it.  Riding a bike seems so easy.  :D 

I can ride a unicycle, I tried to teach it to someone once and they didn't tell me till like a year later that they didn't know how to ride a bicycle. So that obviously went really well

• Like 3
  • Haha 5