15 year break routine

wscorpion

So, let's see what I can do after being offline for about 15 years. Did some rock climbing (bouldering), martial arts, mountainbiking and yoga in between, but mostly focused on family and work. No more dedicated grip work. 
I did keep most of my grip stuff, so let's see what I can do so far.

Started again about 2 weeks ago, let's say around the 3rd of February 2023.

I had to get used to setting grippers again, but fairly easy closed the #2 again (both hands) with a parallel set. 

yesterday I closed the #2.5 with a deep set and my right hand, and I picked up bending as well.

today I've bent this 6mm nail into this nice 'E'.
Also did some gripper training using the vice gripper with no set (which is credit card width) starting from 5 reps and working my way up to single reps. EBDE037D-A587-470B-B32A-157146FFE865.thumb.jpeg.76e3e3936a912b743fa17744bd4fe984.jpeg

Edited by wscorpion
Added reps
  • Like 8

Nice work 

15 years is a long time to be away, welcome back 

Edited by John Knowlton

Yes, it's a very long time. Guess I got a little bit older as well :D
Trying to find myself some affordable red nails (I'm all out) and would love to see how the gold nail feels as well. 
It's 10mm but way too long for my preference. Anything longer than 7.5" is very uncomfortable. 
I remember having kept some old bends somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post them here ;)

Some of the old stuff from 15 years ago:

6" Red Nail

6,5" shiny bastard

6" shiny bastard

10mm x 7" HRS

6mm x 160mm nail with 4 bends

2 wrenches

90A82D9B-AA66-47C2-B736-66B7BDA22AB9.thumb.jpeg.3e59ac74d7b7ede8afe7e21f98a88d9f.jpeg

Let's see how long it takes to get back to this level 🤔

• Like 7

Quick lunch break session. Skipped the warming up this time.

All bends DO:

971412B4-F7F7-405D-B422-57DE59243430.thumb.jpeg.ddedabbe8a18c44da9af5689b7e94fa7.jpeg7" and 6.5" of 8mm CRS. These were a lot easier than expected. Kink was a bit hard due to an injury in my right tendons (elbow crease), but once kinked they felt like butter up to the crush down.

also put a small kink in a 7" Stainless (Shiny Bastard) 8mm bar, but not enough to get past the injury. Maybe after a proper warming up. 😉

Edited by wscorpion
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So i've been ill for the last week or so, but did train some grip on the good moments.
Got up to 12-1 on the vise gripper (equivalent of approx 215lbs) with a CC set and up to 12-5 (approx 260lbs) with a deep set. Both hands, although my right hand seems to be a little stronger with the deep sets. I guess that's probably because I'm left handed and better at setting the gripper with that hand ;)

Obviously those poundages are taken from a generic table, but when I was barely able to deep set close the 2.5 I closed the equivalent of the vise gripper as well. So it seems to be fairly accurate.
Good to see the progress ;)

• Like 3

New short session today with the vice gripper. Went to 12-2 (224lbs) on the no set / CC set (default is CC wide). 

• Like 2

Today a session with the Vulcan Gripper (red/black spring) 2nd edition.

Went up to lvl 12 (both on 4th notch) with an almost parallel set and did a 5 sec hold on it.
This should be upper COC #2.5 as the #3 starts at level 13:

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/vulcantraining.html

Btw, my collection of grippers exists of:

- Vulcan Gripper (#2)
- Vise Gripper
- COC #1, #1.5, #2, #2.5, #3, #3, #3.5, #4
- 2 other grippers which I don't know by head, I think it was an RB and an HG.
- Prohands PRO Heavy, Extra Heavy and XX Heavy
- Prohands gripmaster heavy
- 2x plastic gripper 10-40kg

Edited by wscorpion
  • Like 3

Realized today that I had another spring (just red dipped) from the Vulcan gripper at home as well.
So I gave that one a try as well. I was able to close lvl 12 with both hands, lvl 13 with left (deep set) and hold for 5 sec. Also assisted closed lvl 13 with RH and held it close for 5 seconds.
So both springs still seem to be pretty consistent compared to David Hornes tables on his website. 
That means that I'm getting closer to the #3 again ;)

I've postponed bending for now since that injury really hurts during the kink. But I'm doing some calisthenic exercises combined with yoga/stretching to try to get it healed faster... 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wscorpion said:

Realized today that I had another spring (just red dipped) from the Vulcan gripper at home as well.
So I gave that one a try as well. I was able to close lvl 12 with both hands, lvl 13 with left (deep set) and hold for 5 sec. Also assisted closed lvl 13 with RH and held it close for 5 seconds.
So both springs still seem to be pretty consistent compared to David Hornes tables on his website. 
That means that I'm getting closer to the #3 again ;)

I've postponed bending for now since that injury really hurts during the kink. But I'm doing some calisthenic exercises combined with yoga/stretching to try to get it healed faster... 

Nice! I love the Vulcan, its my favorite gripper. Hope the injury heals up, yeah yoga helps with recovery and healing big time.  I've had sore elbow tendons that stemmed from something up in the shoulder or chest area before. Maybe try to focus on stretching there and see if that helps.

• Like 2

Yeah, It's hard to stretch that specific part. Need to twist my arm in a very specific way.. but massages help as well ;)

Today had a session with the Vise gripper and TNS up to 9-7 (approx 218lbs).
After that did some CCS on the Vulcan gripper with the red/black spring up to lvl 7. 
Lvl 8 was nearly there as well, but that was the end of the session,so probably next time ;)

• Like 2