JD GRIP adjustable grippers

Baron Greenback

GD* 😀

Yes, they are good. GD 80 is around CoC 2.5 and GD90 maybe CoC 3? Although I wear'n teared 2 of them (GD 80, GD 90) I would say, they did their job.

EDIT: One thing I forgot is that if you have smaller hands, GD grips are better than torsion grippers because they have smaller range of motion. I also think the smaller ROM is better on your hands (skin, tendons) but that's my subjective feeling.

Edited by martincerven
  • Thanks 1

Yes I have the GD 90 , very good gripper

• Thanks 1

I am Korean, so I can easily access the gd gripper.

It is a very good gripper20220824_170306.thumb.jpg.75f9244df36036d1a84cac174d579236.jpg

Edited by Seoyoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, martincerven said:

GD* 😀

Yes, they are good. GD 80 is around CoC 2.5 and GD90 maybe CoC 3? Although I wear'n teared 2 of them (GD 80, GD 90) I would say, they did their job.

EDIT: One thing I forgot is that if you have smaller hands, GD grips are better than torsion grippers because they have smaller range of motion. I also think the smaller ROM is better on your hands (skin, tendons) but that's my subjective feeling.

Thanks Martin, that helps

Pros:
- 6 levels of difficulty, and the compression spring mechanism is effortless to adjust.
- 3 different spread options (this is huge). On mine: 62.5mm, 52mm, 40.5mm.
- Using the handle extenders, you can cover a very wide range of difficulties. Btw level 6 (without the extenders) is harder than an average CoC #3. 
- Very well made, just overall high quality. And the company constantly updates its design, and they clearly want to improve the product.

Cons:
- Biggest one: by default, the handles don't touch. I filed down the stoppers on mine, so they touch. 
- I've heard that the knurling was on the weak side in the past. I have the early 2022 model, and it's not bad at all, but it would be much better with a more aggressive knurling, like GHP or Standard. 
- The kg/lb numbers mean nothing as usual.

49 minutes ago, matek said:

Pros:
- 6 levels of difficulty, and the compression spring mechanism is effortless to adjust.
- 3 different spread options (this is huge). On mine: 62.5mm, 52mm, 40.5mm.
- Using the handle extenders, you can cover a very wide range of difficulties. Btw level 6 (without the extenders) is harder than an average CoC #3. 
- Very well made, just overall high quality. And the company constantly updates its design, and they clearly want to improve the product.

Cons:
- Biggest one: by default, the handles don't touch. I filed down the stoppers on mine, so they touch. 
- I've heard that the knurling was on the weak side in the past. I have the early 2022 model, and it's not bad at all, but it would be much better with a more aggressive knurling, like GHP or Standard. 
- The kg/lb numbers mean nothing as usual.

Great personal review, thanks.

I  noticed from pictures that the handles don't touch and wondered if filing down the stoppers would improve it.

thanks

4 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

I am Korean, so I can easily access the gd gripper.

It is a very good gripper20220824_170306.thumb.jpg.75f9244df36036d1a84cac174d579236.jpg

Nice one Seoyoon, 👍 

• Like 1

It definitely is a very good training tool. Or if you go on vacation and you can’t pack all your grippers it’s a good one to take

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

It definitely is a very good training tool. Or if you go on vacation and you can’t pack all your grippers it’s a good one to take

I've been doing a little research on those in the past few weeks and your guys comments helped a lot with which one I'll get. So I should go for the GD90 since I can close a CoC2.5 and a GHP6 rather easily? Thoughts? 

Good move, you will not regret it 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I've been doing a little research on those in the past few weeks and your guys comments helped a lot with which one I'll get. So I should go for the GD90 since I can close a CoC2.5 and a GHP6 rather easily? Thoughts? 

I chose the 90 on the off chance i max out the 80. The 90 suggests an extra 10kg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baron Greenback said:

Hi folks, the JD 90 arrived today, solid bit of kit. Those people that are breaking these grippers must hands of steel.

Hah 😅  What setting can you close without extensions?

26 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Hah 😅  What setting can you close without extensions?

The first 2 settings was relatively ok with a few reps. The 3rd tested me a little, not closed. Haven't gone "all out" with a 100%, I think I need a few weeks practice getting used to it and developing warm up techniques,  would hate to injure myself so early on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Definitely the GD90 for you!

2 hours ago, Baron Greenback said:

The first 2 settings was relatively ok with a few reps. The 3rd tested me a little, not closed. Haven't gone "all out" with a 100%, I think I need a few weeks practice getting used to it and developing warm up techniques,  would hate to injure myself so early on.

Yes, take it easy. That's a good start. Btw it's the perfect warmup gripper. Before touching my heavier torsion spring grippers, I always go from Level 1 to Level 5. 
And if you decide on filing the stoppers (which makes it harder, but feels much better), it's a straightforward and fast process with a good file.

7 hours ago, matek said:

Definitely the GD90 for you!

Yes, take it easy. That's a good start. Btw it's the perfect warmup gripper. Before touching my heavier torsion spring grippers, I always go from Level 1 to Level 5. 
And if you decide on filing the stoppers (which makes it harder, but feels much better), it's a straightforward and fast process with a good file.

Thank you, nice advice.

When you warm up with this gripper, how many reps of each level do you perform before going heavier please?

24 minutes ago, Baron Greenback said:

Thank you, nice advice.

When you warm up with this gripper, how many reps of each level do you perform before going heavier please?

I don't know, I haven't had any injuries during training for 3 years with it, just stop and rest when something feels uncomfortable. But I strongly recommend getting some rubber bands for training extensors, that's what I found after some time after starting grippers, that my hand is starting to clench during sleep 🤣 If you get any leftover rubber bands from vegetables that's fine, but last month I bought overpriced Ironmind bands and wow. It was best 20$ spent, my power went significantly up and training feels much safer because of bigger hand muscles (yes there are small muscles in your hand too). So my advice would be get any rubber bands you can find 😀

1 hour ago, martincerven said:

I don't know, I haven't had any injuries during training for 3 years with it, just stop and rest when something feels uncomfortable. But I strongly recommend getting some rubber bands for training extensors, that's what I found after some time after starting grippers, that my hand is starting to clench during sleep 🤣 If you get any leftover rubber bands from vegetables that's fine, but last month I bought overpriced Ironmind bands and wow. It was best 20$ spent, my power went significantly up and training feels much safer because of bigger hand muscles (yes there are small muscles in your hand too). So my advice would be get any rubber bands you can find 😀

Great advice, thank you very much 😊 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Greenback said:

I do a relatively lot on Levels 1-2, probably over 20 or more each. Level 3 10-15 reps, Level 4 5-10, and Level 5 just 1. But I also do some light/high rep wrist curls, and I even warm up my biceps and chest a little bit before setting a heavy gripper. 
CNS-wise, the best would be to do a few heavy squats before attempting a gripper PR. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, matek said:

I do a relatively lot on Levels 1-2, probably over 20 or more each. Level 3 10-15 reps, Level 4 5-10, and Level 5 just 1. But I also do some light/high rep wrist curls, and I even warm up my biceps and chest a little bit before setting a heavy gripper. 
CNS-wise, the best would be to do a few heavy squats before attempting a gripper PR. 

Thats great information,  thank you very much sir

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...