Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - TAMMY STOWE-McCLURE

Vinnie

It is my honor and pleasure to write the grip profile for a newcomer to our sport but not to athleticism - former American Ninja Warrior (hope I got that right) Tammy Stow-McClure! 

Many past profiles have provided some unknown background facts about a grip legend we all already knew.  This grip noob is someone we will all see more of later, if she sticks with the sport, and we will be able to say "we found out about her here!"

Here are her answers to the grip profile questionnaire:

1. What are your stats?

Grip Board name: Tammy 

Height: 5’ 5”

Weight: 143 lbs

Dominant hand, and hand size: 7 1/4”. Right hand is mostly dominant but the left is pretty even and surprises me doing better on a couple implements. 

Country/City: Boise, Idaho USA

Relationship Status: married 

Children: 2 girls, ages 3 and 1

Occupation: My husband and I grow grapes, make wine and operate a winery and event center outside of Boise called Indian Creek Winery. My parents established the winery back in 1982 and I grew up on the farm as a kid. We’ve grown the business significantly and have a wine club. Our vibe is laid-back, bohemian garden atmosphere…a place to relax after a hard grip session. Haha! If any grippers out there want to come visit let me know! We can come up with some fun challenges ;)

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?  

My friend Jenn Tibbenham who I have known through the track and field back in college days visits her hometown near the Boise area. This past summer she asked if I would participate in a Grip competition if she hosted one while visiting and I said sure! I thought I was just helping a friend out but look at me now I am hooked! I have been rockclimbing since I was a teenager so I already have a natural knack for Grip. Although at times I feel like it butts heads or, quite literally, hands with climbing but overall I do feel like I am getting in general stronger from Grip training. 

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I am pretty psyched I placed third overall for women at the 2022 King Kong. Also at the Olympia I managed to place all four implements world records in my weight class. It would be pretty neat to set some overall world records for females, regardless of weight class. But I know that probably will take years and I need to keep putting in the hard work. Specific goals would be lifting my double body weight on the Axel and 200 on the hilt. 

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

Right now is the season (winter) for my main passion sport which is bouldering… A form of rock climbing where it’s pretty short and powerful and no ropes. It’s been hard to train for grip and arm lifting while trying to perform outside and sending my projects. I try to get in a solid and hard session grip wise at least once or twice a week that focus on whatever upcoming competition is next. I tend to over train so I have been trying to dial it back a little bit so I don’t stress my tendons too much. But generally speaking I try to put in 80% of my max on various lifts and generally do 5 x 5’s. Some days I will warm up and keep going until a max and then back off just to see where I am at.  I will back way off and then stop doing any training the week before a competition. In general I like to walk especially having a one-year-old it’s been weighted backpack walks with her on my back. When I rock climb I get a lot of hiking in - typically weighted carrying three crash pads on my back. 

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Obviously I love Bouldering… But I also love painting dogs, gardening and growing delicious produce, and hanging out with my little munchkins. I am totally that mom at the park playing on all the bars!

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

One great thing about Grip sport is the access to the sport from all ages and various athletic backgrounds. I have read a few different articles about how grip strength is correlated to longevity which is pretty cool to think about! But with that comes not only taking care of yourself through doing the workouts, but also the recovery part. Especially over the past five years I have noticed recovery is challenging or at least something I need to think about. Eating healthier, less junk, better sleep, collagen, vitamins, massage, sauna, cold plunges, mobility work, yoga. I’m probably preaching to the choir but I’m hoping all this helps so that as I age I can continue to improve and stave off injury. One thing is for sure… The Grip world is pretty rad ❤️ thanks for the warm welcome. And also thank you Queen Sarah for the shoutout!

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next?

Christina Bangma. She seems like she’s been in the world of lifting for quite a long time and she’s a beast! I got to chat with her a little bit at the Olympia. She loves Grip sport!

• Like 16