Journey To The 3.5 Cert - dubyagrip

dubyagrip

I have no doubt that you can do it; you appear to have all of the strength, genetic potential, mindset, and training momentum required. Your body looks built for it. Excited to continue watching your progress.

• Like 3

Tetting Elite 170 RGC Close

• Like 6

NICE WORK

• Like 1

A little work left to do to get the cert...

• Like 6

Congrats that was a solid close long pause no doubt about it. 

You have been killing it really nice progress. Motivating stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

way cool nice work

• Thanks 1

Training my left again

• Like 2

TNS work to end my workout today with my 75mm RB adjustable.

• Like 4

Wow. Almost TNS'd 160 from 75mm - at the end of your workout no less. You are gaining strength so quickly, jeez. Keep it up man. A big inspiration to us all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Wow. Almost TNS'd 160 from 75mm - at the end of your workout no less. You are gaining strength so quickly, jeez. Keep it up man. A big inspiration to us all.

Thanks man, once a week gripper workouts is the key at these higher RGCs.  I think training pinch and open crush once a week as well is also helping.  My grip is very balanced now that i worked so hard on my pinch.

• Like 2

Nice work dude

• Like 1

Here are some clips from my lunch break session... I am struggling with the last 4mm of my 174 ghp8, so I am adding some extra deep set work to augment my closing power. Also, hit the silver bullet to shock my muscles a little bit...

3x5 with 159 @ 20mm, cheat closed the last set

1x3 with 177 @ 20mm, cheat close with free hand

Max effort with 191 @ 10mm, cheat close with free hand

Silver bullet with 165 for 15 seconds, holding 5lbs

• Like 4

@Cannon sent me a new item he will be posting on his site.  It's a cool set key and strap hold implement.  Get one when he releases it or I'll squeeze you.

20230403_182543.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Here are some clips from my lunch break session... I am struggling with the last 4mm of my 174 ghp8, so I am adding some extra deep set work to augment my closing power. Also, hit the silver bullet to shock my muscles a little bit...

3x5 with 159 @ 20mm, cheat closed the last set

1x3 with 177 @ 20mm, cheat close with free hand

Max effort with 191 @ 10mm, cheat close with free hand

Silver bullet with 165 for 15 seconds, holding 5lbs

How are your doing the cheat close? Do you crush it down with your offhand and hold it closed or just to finish the close? I have always been hesitant to try these as I have heard people get injured with heavy negatives(I think mainly trying to hold a gripper for too long that is well above their max) but then many coc #4 closers have done them also. 

I have liked to hold my wrist with my offhand which allows me to finish a gripper i'm a few mm off.  I like the silver bullet holds and that is something I want to implement more of. I feel that it's harder to get quick gains on grippers while also making gains on thickbar/pinch which you are doing right now. 

That seems like a pretty strong silver bullet hold though for a 3.5. I have only ever seen it contested with a coc 3 and 4. Do you know how your times are on those? I remember when I was around mid 170 level without much training I did about 40 seconds on the coc 3  in contest and it's' a weird event where you feel fine and then it just drops. It's also a tough one as they seem to always want to do this at the end of a contest when your grip is done.  It definitely gives you a good pump though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

How are your doing the cheat close? Do you crush it down with your offhand and hold it closed or just to finish the close? I have always been hesitant to try these as I have heard people get injured with heavy negatives(I think mainly trying to hold a gripper for too long that is well above their max) but then many coc #4 closers have done them also. 

I have liked to hold my wrist with my offhand which allows me to finish a gripper i'm a few mm off.  I like the silver bullet holds and that is something I want to implement more of. I feel that it's harder to get quick gains on grippers while also making gains on thickbar/pinch which you are doing right now. 

That seems like a pretty strong silver bullet hold though for a 3.5. I have only ever seen it contested with a coc 3 and 4. Do you know how your times are on those? I remember when I was around mid 170 level without much training I did about 40 seconds on the coc 3  in contest and it's' a weird event where you feel fine and then it just drops. It's also a tough one as they seem to always want to do this at the end of a contest when your grip is done.  It definitely gives you a good pump though. 

Hey -

So, for my cheat closes, I will use my offhand to close and try to hold the negative.  I'm not using grippers so far above my strength that the negative introduces risk, which is how I figure people get hurt.  My rule is: If I can't close it once from any set width, then I don't negative with it.

I can hold a 3 for 30-40 seconds, and I can't set the 4, so I don't bother trying.  I could learn the setting with your knees thing, but as I noted above...I don't screw with grippers I can't handle.  I held a 3.5 at a comp for 23 seconds and lost to a guy who held a 4 for 1.6 seconds... 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubyagrip said:

Hey -

So, for my cheat closes, I will use my offhand to close and try to hold the negative.  I'm not using grippers so far above my strength that the negative introduces risk, which is how I figure people get hurt.  My rule is: If I can't close it once from any set width, then I don't negative with it.

I can hold a 3 for 30-40 seconds, and I can't set the 4, so I don't bother trying.  I could learn the setting with your knees thing, but as I noted above...I don't screw with grippers I can't handle.  I held a 3.5 at a comp for 23 seconds and lost to a guy who held a 4 for 1.6 seconds... 🤣

there is something to it …in a way. 
I don’t want to bring JK into it, but he was on to something when he said “ when you’re doing the negatives with a gripper that’s too tough for you, your hand will be conditioned to close it…You do the negatives and your hand will be in shape to close it.” 

Maybe not an exact quote, haha …but, that’s the idea. if you give a guy who could close a no.3 his wish to have the strength to close the no.4 without the conditioning he’ll never close it.

you could get the same job done by working up to it …but he was about forcing the issue. 
the mind and body has its own limitations set on someone…and if someone feels the no.4 would make their hand explode if they held it from a forced close position, the mind and body may never allow such strength.

just a theory…but makes sense when you see how few people have such strength.

but always stay safe…think longevity.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, slazbob said:

there is something to it …in a way. 
I don’t want to bring JK into it, but he was on to something when he said “ when you’re doing the negatives with a gripper that’s too tough for you, your hand will be conditioned to close it…You do the negatives and your hand will be in shape to close it.” 

Maybe not an exact quote, haha …but, that’s the idea. if you give a guy who could close a no.3 his wish to have the strength to close the no.4 without the conditioning he’ll never close it.

you could get the same job done by working up to it …but he was about forcing the issue. 
the mind and body has its own limitations set on someone…and if someone feels the no.4 would make their hand explode if they held it from a forced close position, the mind and body may never allow such strength.

just a theory…but makes sense when you see how few people have such strength.

but always stay safe…think longevity.

It has its place, but I can't argue with my results.  I've only been training grip for like 7 months now, and I'm approaching the rare air few get to breathe.  If I hit the wall, I will take more extreme measures.

• Like 1

Also, this goofball who messaged me on instagram tried a negative with his 3, and he internally severed his little finger from his hand.  That probably wouldn't happen to me since I am a grown man, but still, I haven't found a need to do heavy negatives yet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Also, this goofball who messaged me on instagram tried a negative with his 3, and he internally severed his little finger from his hand.  That probably wouldn't happen to me since I am a grown man, but still, I haven't found a need to do heavy negatives yet.

that sounds really painful, do you like better negatives or closed holds?

1 minute ago, Scottex92 said:

that sounds really painful, do you like better negatives or closed holds?

Holds/overcrush for sure.

• Like 1

I couldn't have missed this by any less... 😫

Monday...

(RGC 174)

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dubyagrip said:

I couldn't have missed this by any less... 😫

Monday...

(RGC 174)

Man this was so close at 5-6sec I wasn't even sure from the video if it was closed or not.
You can get this on any good day

gc.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, matek said:

Man this was so close at 5-6sec I wasn't even sure from the video if it was closed or not.
You can get this on any good day

gc.JPG

This was the closest I've ever been on this, so I will definitely get it next week.  Hitting the deep sets hard in my last session on Monday really made all the difference here.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 3