Journey To The 3.5 Cert - dubyagrip

dubyagrip

Hey -

I'll post what I normally upload to instagram and youtube here, in regards to grippers.  To get more acquainted with where I'm at now, please enjoy these clips:

You can follow me on instagram or subscribe on youtube @dubyagrip to see my other work with the napalm, rolling thunder, evil hub, axle deadlifts, etc.,

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 11

The cobalt has fallen, credit card set closure.

Edited by dubyagrip
I ended up closing it.
  • Like 4

Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, but I've found that hitting my forearms with my massage gun significantly increases my recovery.  I was feeling pretty good, so I tried some silver bullet holds for the first time with my #3.  I held it much longer than I thought I would.  Holds always seemed like an endurance thing to me, and I'm focused more on crushing power.  However, after doing a few sets of these, my mindset is changing.  I perceive value in adding these to my routine...we'll see if this will help me with my focus of CCS and TNS closes.

(Yes, I'm aware my silver bullet is a CoC key with a hole drilled in it.)  :)

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 5

This is about as close as you can get and miss a close, but that's why I always add a mm or two when I'm trying choked attempts from my target widths... 165 RGC @ 39mm

• Like 5

On 1/29/2023 at 4:37 AM, dubyagrip said:

This is about as close as you can get and miss a close, but that's why I always add a mm or two when I'm trying choked attempts from my target widths... 165 RGC @ 39mm

Strong grip work! What does your weekly routine looks like at the moment. How do you combine your grip workouts with your regular strenght workouts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Strong grip work! What does your weekly routine looks like at the moment. How do you combine your grip workouts with your regular strenght workouts?

Hey -

It's pretty basic.

I break it up into two sessions on my training days which are 2-3x a week, depending on how I'm recovering.  It looks something like this usually, but the set widths can vary depending on how I'm feeling.  If I fail to close the gripper, I always use my free hand to cheat it closed.  Sometimes I will add some attempts with my 180, 190, or 200+ RGC grippers just for fun.

Morning Session

1. White & Green Extensor Bands - 25 Reps w/ Wrist Rotation
  2. Trainer - 1 x 10 (Warm Up)
  3. #1 - 1 x 3 (TNS)
  4. #2 - 1 x 3 (TNS)
  5. #3 148 RGC - 1 x 3 (TNS) - Right Hand
    1. #2.5 - 1 x 3 (TNS) - Left Hand
  6. Cobalt 159 RGC - 1 x 1 (CCS)
  7. Yellow, Blue, and Red Extensor Bands - 5-10 Reps Each

Evening Session

1. White & Green Extensor Bands - 25 Reps w/ Wrist Rotation
  2. Trainer 3 x 10 (Warm Up)
  3. Cobalt 165 RGC - 1 x 38mm Choke
  4. Titanium 177 RGC - 1 x 20mm Choke
  5. #3.5 165 RGC - CCS Max Effort (My Current Goal Gripper)

Then I do pinch work after this.

As far as balancing it with my other strength workouts...I've stopped pretty much all upper body work because I do steel bends in addition to crush and pinch work.  I train my legs and do some deadlifts, but my focus is fully on the 3.5 cert, so anything not in support of that effort will fall away temporarily.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 4

I am also trying to fit in silver bullet holds, but I am wary of my recovery.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 1

This isn't exactly gripper related, but I thought I'd share my first lifts with a new toy.

• Like 4

I am almost done with this 165 RGC 3.5...  Near miss from CCS today and some 177 RGC 20mm reps to finish.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 5

Strong stuff! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Supper strong 💪 

Your support drives me, thanks.

• Like 1

A training update to answer some questions I have received.

• Like 6

Good video man makes me really want to pick up a choked gripper. 

I thought you were from Alberta watching that when you said you worked oil rigs and farming plus the flames shirt checked your profile though and no haha. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Good video man makes me really want to pick up a choked gripper. 

I thought you were from Alberta watching that when you said you worked oil rigs and farming plus the flames shirt checked your profile though and no haha. 

Ha, no I grew up in Texas.  My cousin was a flames fan, and he introduced me to hockey.  It just kind of stuck over time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Ha, no I grew up in Texas.  My cousin was a flames fan, and he introduced me to hockey.  It just kind of stuck over time.

Haha yeah Texas makes sense too for farming and oil and gas. Plus flames are a great team.

• Like 2