How to use math & Microsoft excel to calculate a grippers resistance in any set width position

C8Myotome

I completely understand the math, and the qualitative conclusion about the spread (GHP being harder to hold on the block, etc,).  However, are you certain about your assumption of a linear relation between the distance to close and the RGC?  I don't know that it isn't linear, but I would not have assumed it.  Maybe it is, though; I am not disputing, just asking.  Matt@Cannonmay know.

• Like 1

Torque on a torsion spring is linear with an ideal spring, real life of course adds in some variability but it is close enough to linear for our purposes. The force vector for a torsion spring is not linear, since it varies with the angle of the spring, remember RGC is not torque it is force. It is however, pretty close to linear for small values and while not perfect is still good enough for use in training which does not have to be exactly accurate. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I completely understand the math, and the qualitative conclusion about the spread (GHP being harder to hold on the block, etc,).  However, are you certain about your assumption of a linear relation between the distance to close and the RGC?  I don't know that it isn't linear, but I would not have assumed it.  Maybe it is, though; I am not disputing, just asking.  Matt@Cannonmay know.

I did make that assumption that it is linear as that's the best I can do without rating equipment, this is just theoretical, I can't claim these are exactly what RGC measures are exactly without actually measuring RGC, this just gives you an idea. I'm willing to be proved wrong, however if it's pretty close, that's good enough for me. If it is linear or fairly linear then this is just a way to compare grippers or find out about how heavy they are in a certain position. It would be cool to see actual ratings at different positions to see how close my numbers they are and how close they match up

I don't think we are moving the spring in the way they are supposed to be bent either, bringing the handles together puts force on the spring in multiple directions which is why the coils spread out instead of just the long parts moving parallel to each other

I was mainly curious about heavier grippers I can't fully close yet and what they would be measuring in different block hold positions for comparison, and the hg350 vs ghp8 since the hg350 is so weird

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Torque on a torsion spring is linear with an ideal spring, real life of course adds in some variability but it is close enough to linear for our purposes. The force vector for a torsion spring is not linear, since it varies with the angle of the spring, remember RGC is not torque it is force. It is however, pretty close to linear for small values and while not perfect is still good enough for use in training which does not have to be exactly accurate. 

Exactly, just about everything I did in undergrad physics was all ideal scenarios where surfaces have no friction etc. Those numbers are totally good enough for me and my purposes of deciding whether hg350 is junk or not lol

• Like 1