Odd requests for commission

LABZSTS

Hello ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ! This topic is for questions regarding "odd requests" for Cannonpowerworks. I have some of mine of course. My first and second one is in regards to filing. I may have asked before but I'm not sure if I ever got a response. If paid, would you file any gripper selected? The description on the website doesn't feature any stipulations so I'm inclined to ask if you would preform such a procedure on grip genie for example. I ask since they have thinner handles.ย 

• Like 1

My second question is would you file both handles of a singular gripper if commissioned for it? Would it be beneficial for both to be altered or would it be a waste?

Edited by LABZSTS
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LABZSTS said:

My second question is would you file both handles of a simgular gripper if commissioned for it? Would it be beneficial for both to be altered or would it be a waste?

No, itโ€™s not a good result. You should just file one side more. Itโ€™s nearly impossible to get both sides to line up nice. Thatโ€™s possible by hand, but weโ€™re not doing it by hand.ย 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

So it's not an odd request, but I do have question. For those springs that you sell and handles, if I wanted each setting rated, would I have to buy 4 rating services? I don't mind if I have to but I'd like to know

Would it be possible for you to make extra wide standard grippers? Would love a super wide platinum and iron.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Would it be possible for you to make extra wide standard grippers? Would love a super wide platinum and iron.

Ik they had a wide spring of the iron standard gripper for a bit

I canโ€™t speak for @Cannon, but I know he has said previously that the adjustables may not be coming back after the unexpected passing of Tom, his previous manufacturing partner for the line. But if you already have the gripper and handles, thatโ€™s a different story.ย 
ย 

From Standard line updates thread:
ย 

โ€œStandard Adjustable sets might be on the chopping block. This was an idea I had early when I got into grip; making springs with universal barrels so all handles and springs would be interchangeable. They are expensive to produce and the set screws are not perfect. Early on we switched to cup-point set screws which have more "bite" but then also chew up the aluminum barrels quicker. Right now I'm still not sure if this project makes sense going forward.โ€

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

So it's not an odd request, but I do have question. For those springs that you sell and handles, if I wanted each setting rated, would I have to buy 4 rating services? I don't mind if I have to but I'd like to know

When I bought a set the rating charge was per spring. So the 3 spring set was 3 rating charges. The additional Ti and wide Fe springs were two additional rating charges.

• Like 2

Yeah there are some wide standard iron's out there, mine is 158, i remember seeing some of them go heavier when they were available. I'd be interested in more obnoxiously wide standards too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

We only charged once per spring to find a starting point at the flush mount. From there, the other lines were reliably +X from the start. No reason for more ratings because the +X is good enough when the adjustability might not always land in the exact same spot every time.ย 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EmilBB said:

We will probably release the wide iron springs as another choice in the line. ย Why not right? Like with the Legacy grippers we will mount them all over the place so they vary for sure. The widest springs get the deepest mounts in order to be as hard as possible. Then the most narrow ones get shallow mounts to be as easy as possible. The middle range sorts itself out because itโ€™s not an exact recipe to get what you want.ย 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Yeah there are some wide standard iron's out there, mine is 158, i remember seeing some of them go heavier when they were available. I'd be interested in more obnoxiously wide standards too

We might give the wide ones a new metal. Chromium or something? Not sure yet.ย 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Also yes I drew on the Fe with plans to file it but never went through with it, too unique of a gripper to file.

Rubbing alcohol takes off Sharpie well.ย 

• Like 3

The swappable adjustables were an invention idea Iโ€™d had in my head since I ever started gripping. Iโ€™m glad we were able to bring it to the market. I will address this eventually with Justin and maybe we can bring it back, but right now itโ€™s one step at a time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

The swappable adjustables were an invention idea Iโ€™d had in my head since I ever started gripping. Iโ€™m glad we were able to bring it to the market. I will address this eventually with Justin and maybe we can bring it back, but right now itโ€™s one step at a time.

The Standard adjustables are absolutely great for people living outside of US (like me). Huge value. One spring is not "only" 4 rated grippers. The space between levels is relatively large, so it is very easy to measure/mark the 0.5 levels accurately. So it's more like 7 rated grippers. Also, adding a Level 4 makes the gripper very wide but still very usable, so it's like 9 rated grippers. Then you can use filed handles with the same spring, so... I'm so glad I bought them when they were still available. They play an essential role in my gripper progress.ย 
If I could change one thing about them, it would be switching from aluminum to steel barrels. I wouldn't mind paying extra for that.ย 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, C8Myotome said:

Chromium sounds awesome...any pics of what it would look like finish wise???? Would it be smooth or knurled? I guess I can look up images of chromium metal >_> I don't really have a preference between aluminum vs steel, they feel the same.ย 

I meant for the name of the gripper. Visually it would look like the rest of the Standard grippers.ย 

I looked back at my notes and it seems that Chromium is actually harder than Tungsten and now I remember I was kind of saving that in case we ever made a low 200s gripper.ย 

The metal that is actually between Iron and Cobalt is... drumroll... Nickel! And "between" isn't entirely accurate because it actually shares the same MPa as Iron, which is almost poetic because they would share a spring.ย 

So what I'm saying is that we might just add the wide Iron springs to the line as a 10th gripper called Nickel with the symbol Ni.ย ย 

ย 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cannon said:

We will probably release the wide iron springs as another choice in the line. ย Why not right? Like with the Legacy grippers we will mount them all over the place so they vary for sure. The widest springs get the deepest mounts in order to be as hard as possible. Then the most narrow ones get shallow mounts to be as easy as possible. The middle range sorts itself out because itโ€™s not an exact recipe to get what you want.ย 

Any chance of other wide models or just the iron?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

As long as it's not Nickelback :)

If I get a nickle one, I'm nicknameing it NickleBack

3 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

When you post a pic of it, make sure to say "LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH"

It'd be above my current PR but it still sounds great

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

When you post a pic of it, make sure to say "LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH"

Edit: a super wide Platinum that starts go get into the CoC 3 territory RGC would be super awesome too

Damn, wide platinum sounds above my pay grade

• Like 1