2023 King Kong - Initial Details

Eric Roussin

Without further ado, I'm please to announce the event line-up for the 2023 International King Kong Grip Challenge:

2.25" Crusher
IronMind Block (6" lift)
Finnish Ball
2.5" Jug (FBBC)

The main contest date is October 28th.

I'll soon be reaching out to last year's promoters with a complete information package. This said, if you've never hosted a King Kong venue and think you might be interested, please reach out to me via private message.

Now in its 11th year, the International King Kong Grip Challenge is the world's biggest multi-venue grip contest.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Eric - Texas will be confirmed venue for this year 👍

• Like 6

Great events this year. I'm curious to see how many lifters will lift more on the Finnish Ball vs Blockbuster Pinch Block 🤔

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Great events this year. I'm curious to see how many lifters will lift more on the Finnish Ball vs Blockbuster Pinch Block 🤔

As long as both are triple digits, i'll be happy 😆🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m new to the tournament format and have a few questions. 

Is the 2.25 crusher the one with bearings from FBBC? 

What brand Finnish ball? If ArmAssassins, what size do I choose? 

Do we lift to full lock out, or do I need one of the (height bars?), sorry I’m not sure of the correct name. If it is the height bar, what height do I need to set it to?

Thanks! My friends and I are planning to go to our first grip competition this year! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RunningRiot4Fun said:

I’m new to the tournament format and have a few questions. 

Is the 2.25 crusher the one with bearings from FBBC? 

What brand Finnish ball? If ArmAssassins, what size do I choose? 

Do we lift to full lock out, or do I need one of the (height bars?), sorry I’m not sure of the correct name. If it is the height bar, what height do I need to set it to?

Thanks! My friends and I are planning to go to our first grip competition this year! 

It’s the current version of the 2.25” Crusher from FBBC.

It’s the original 1 1/2” Finnish Ball from Otevoima. (“Otevoima Ry” on Facebook) 

All lifts are done to a crossbar. The distance to travel is 6” for the Crusher, Pinch Block, and Jug. 13” for the Finnish Ball.

A detailed rules document will be shared/posted in the next few weeks which will provide much more information.

Great to hear that you and your friends are planning on competing. Where do you live?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

It’s the original 1 1/2” Finnish Ball from Otevoima. (“Otevoima Ry” on Facebook) 

All lifts are done to a crossbar. The distance to travel is 6” for the Crusher, Pinch Block, and Jug. 13” for the Finnish Ball.

A detailed rules document will be shared/posted in the next few weeks which will provide much more information.

Great to hear that you and your friends are planning on competing. Where do you live?

I just reached out to Otevoima who is very responsive on Facebook.  The 1 1/2" Finnish Ball is 35 Euros ($38) and shipping is another 45.90 Euros ($50) for flat rate up to 10 kg.  These things only weigh 550 grams each and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in putting together a group order to save on shipping?

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 8:23 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Without further ado, I'm please to announce the event line-up for the 2023 International King Kong Grip Challenge:

2.25" Crusher
IronMind Block (6" lift)
Finnish Ball
2.5" Jug (FBBC)

The main contest date is October 28th.

I'll soon be reaching out to last year's promoters with a complete information package. This said, if you've never hosted a King Kong venue and think you might be interested, please reach out to me via private message.

Now in its 11th year, the International King Kong Grip Challenge is the world's biggest multi-venue grip contest.

Eric, do you have contact info for FBBC? Myself and a couple of others are having no luck getting in contact with them. 

Edited by Nick Sanders
Spelling error
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2023 at 8:31 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

I’m almost certain I’ll get more on FB than IMBB 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, Nick Sanders said:

Eric, do you have contact info for FBBC? Myself and a couple of others are having no luck getting in contact with them. 

I reached out to FBBC via the email listed on the website.  It took about a week for the reply, but I did have my order quoted and expect to receive it after payment.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 7:23 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Will the FBBC Equalizer be used?

Edited by Jeremy Robinson

4 hours ago, Jeremy Robinson said:

Will the FBBC Equalizer be used?

Whats the equalizer?  That magnet thing?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Whats the equalizer?  That magnet thing?

It appears so, its listed here: http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/CRUSHERS.html

Edited by liftyzig
removed pic that may cause confusion about equipment needed for contest
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello new here. Started doing more grip work as my hip deteriorated to stay in the gym and finally had it replaced so I’d like to start competing a bit through leaderboards or contests as I think my highland and amateur strongman days are over.  Anyway I’ve seen the King Kong challenge on sites and was curious if Michigan or northern Ohio was going to have a venue in 23? Also wondered if FBBC moved out of Michigan and was still active? I live about 20 minutes from his Michigan shop location and afraid he is no longer there. Looking for an Inch loadable dumbell handle. One more....does anyone know of a gym near Detroit/Ann Arbor that has a replica Inch dumbell? Thanks Bill Gordon.

6 hours ago, Wr gordon said:

Hello new here. Started doing more grip work as my hip deteriorated to stay in the gym and finally had it replaced so I’d like to start competing a bit through leaderboards or contests as I think my highland and amateur strongman days are over.  Anyway I’ve seen the King Kong challenge on sites and was curious if Michigan or northern Ohio was going to have a venue in 23? Also wondered if FBBC moved out of Michigan and was still active? I live about 20 minutes from his Michigan shop location and afraid he is no longer there. Looking for an Inch loadable dumbell handle. One more....does anyone know of a gym near Detroit/Ann Arbor that has a replica Inch dumbell? Thanks Bill Gordon.

Hi Bill,

Venues haven’t been confirmed yet for this year, but I expect there will be a venue in eastern Ohio and possibly one in Detroit.

FBBC is still active, but is now based out of Iowa. You can check out the website to see what’s available.

Sorry, I’m not aware of a gym in that area with an Inch dumbbell.

• Like 1

It looks like nobody hosted a venue in Melbourne in 2022, hopefully someone does this year as I'd be keen to enter (I'm in Tasmania but flights to Melbourne aren't bad). 

• Like 1

I'd be keen as to compete but i'm even further away

I'm ready! 

Screenshot_20230219-182337.png

• Like 7

On 1/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, TeamGupta said:

I reached out to FBBC via the email listed on the website.  It took about a week for the reply, but I did have my order quoted and expect to receive it after payment.

It took about a month for the 2.25 inch crusher and 2.5 inch jug to arrive, but they did arrive well packaged and as described.

• Like 1