CONTEST! 137 IronMind #3

Cannon

19 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This riddle was just solved. Any discussion is now fair game. 

Ok then so the gripper rating was 33, the passcode is the result of 33 cubed, 35937

I really thought I had it solved with the 33rd element, arsenic, especially with Matt's apparent love for periodic elements.

But alas "incorrect" was the response.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Ok then so the gripper rating was 33, the passcode is the result of 33 cubed, 35937

I really thought I had it solved with the 33rd element, arsenic, especially with Matt's apparent love for periodic elements.

But alas "incorrect" was the response.

Yeah, 33 was the correct rating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Explanation and answer updated at the contest page:
https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/contest

Serves me right for not beating BOTW.

would of had to guessed the proper number too though.  That was pretty clever!

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

I skipped so many Zelda results in my googling, didn't even consider we were possibly talking about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Explanation and answer updated at the contest page:
https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/contest

Before I click on that I'm gonna make an assumption. 

The gripper we were trying to win was a #3.

The rating password was 33 but we had to cube it (3). 

The answer has something to do with 3 or something. Thresher for instance. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

The winner must be one smart son-of-a-gun...

Ok, this is funny now 😂 

Congrats dude! 

• Thanks 1

@CannonI'm guessing this is a result from watching those Summoning Salt videos? Video games in the mind 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stranger said:

Ok, this is funny now 😂 

Congrats dude! 

🤪

• Haha 1

Just now, stranger said:

@CannonI'm guessing this is a result from watching those Summoning Salt videos? Video games in the mind 

I love Breath of the Wild. It’s a beautiful game. It helped get me through the pandemic to have a whole other world to explore. I did have it on the mind lately because I’m doing a second play through in master mode. 

• Like 3

I got through riddle 1 by taking known ratings (min and max values on ratings page), ratings from the current pre-rated section, my own ratings, ones I'd seen recently, and any value that ended in 0 or 5 to account for the every 5 lbs set that sold for over a grand a while ago. For everything else left I knew it would be a simple function of either squared or cubed so it was simple process of elimination after that.

But for riddle 2 I knew it was something involving a book/movie/media reference that no amount of internet searching of key words would help with.

• Like 2

I got the rating by inspecting the page source and finding the passcode then doing functions until i found 33 cubed was the right one that matched.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I got the rating by inspecting the page source and finding the passcode then doing functions until i found 33 cubed was the right one.

Similarly, I checked the page source and got the password (and actually, the whole riddle was already there).
Then if it's a simple math function, it's probably about multiplication. 35937's divisors in the allowable range are 27, 33, 99, and 121. , and squaring these, we can see that 33^2=1089, which is the multiplier for 33 to get the password number, so 33^3 is the operation.

When I first read the riddle, Moby Dick came into my mind. Then I thought maybe there is a deeper meaning to why it's written like a Shakespearean sonnet, so I thought perhaps it's The Tempest, or its characters. 

Congratulations, and thanks to Cannon for this fun puzzle!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I got the rating by inspecting the page source

Nice.  We knew that was possible and just figured if someone knew how to do it they deserve to get through that way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

And chatbot gpt was no help by the way

Also regarding this, I assumed someone would try this as well. So I put the riddle into OpenAI and then tweaked a few things to make sure it wouldn’t be as helpful. 

• Haha 1

I wish the riddle was not about the video game I have never even heard about.

When my gf googled some Zelda results, we refused to go that way because it should’ve been from real world or at least better known for participants across the world that what i thought.

I had this great theory that Matt was talking about Namibia desert as a location and lion as a creature for the answer.

Congratulations for the winner!

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 3

ChatGPT told me it was Kraken.

I asked "Are you sure?"

Yes, I'm confident the answer to the riddle is "Kraken".

So just like human intelligence after all; overly confident and mostly incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I got the rating by inspecting the page source and finding the passcode then doing functions until i found 33 cubed was the right one that matched.

You just joined the gripboard and absolutely destroyed everyone else in this riddle, that's pretty hilarious. Congratulations on the huge win and even bigger bragging rights 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

When my gf googled some Zelda results, we refused to go that way because it should’ve been from real world or at least better known for participants across the world that what i thought.

I had this great theory that Matt was talking about Namibia desert as a location and lion as a creature for the answer.

Congratulations for the winner!

I agree I thought the answer was going to be about a real world location or at least a mythical creature, not from a video game most of us have probably never played. I don't have the time to play video games at this point in my life

• Like 1

I googled some terms and got Zelda results for noble pursuit, and thought of guessing "Zelda," but I would never have devoted enough time to connect the rest of the riddle to Zelda and get that particular answer.  I am glad that I just periodically shot guesses that came to mind and did not spend hours on it.  

I am also glad that my girlfriend's answer was wrong.  I'd rather not win the gripper than have had her be right about that, because she was so sure she was right and so dismissive of my guesses as inferior.  HA!  (Oh -- her guess was "time," and I did think that was pretty close to the best wrong guess I saw).

Congrats newguy.  If you are at the Cheyenne comp March 25, I hope you will bring it so I can try a TNS close ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Cool that you were on the right track about the sea that could be glass being a desert.  I did not even get that close.  I probably sent Matt 20 guesses if not more, I was very determined and spent a lot of time on it, way too much.  I even roped in my sister and niece and nephew.  It was fun to bounce ideas off each other.

I too got the gripper rating from the source code route, I had that figured out and was sending guesses within an hour of the contest being posted.

• Like 5

@CannonDid you measure the spread of it? I'm very curious what it would be on a 137 rating.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I didn't but @dubyagrip can probably post the answer. 

Yep, will do and I'll see how many times I can TNS it.

• Like 1