CONTEST! 137 IronMind #3

Cannon

2 hours ago, Busa said:

I'm curious if you are able to measure the spread in the packaging of CoC grippers. Is it from a new batch? they seem to be lighter now.

Yeah, we do some of this. It is pretty easy to check an unopened package with calipers. However usually only in unique circumstances. Like recently someone ordered three #3.5s hoping to get just one that was over 180. The best chance at 180 is a wide gripper so we checked a few in hopes of getting a good rating for them. It worked out. 

I would not say they are easier lately. A majority of these are pretty close to the average and the average has not moved in a really long time. Even the most recent batch of ratings we posted had grippers up to 155. You just have to rate a gripper to know what rates :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

What's the oldest anyone has closed a #3?  I might have a shot at it LOL.  I have a narrow 141# gripper (BB) - I can still close on occasion with my version of a set (not a very good set) hehe!  Age 74.

Well, you got me beat because I am only 53, and that's not even the oldest to CERT the 3 (Sorin was older, at least).  But, I plan to give you a run for your money on this one, and we won't know for sure until I am more than 74.  Or if you keep closing them, until I am more than whenever you stop.  And knowing your health, you will still be alive when I am gone.  But for now I am just gonna hope I make 74.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well, you got me beat because I am only 53, and that's not even the oldest to CERT the 3 (Sorin was older, at least).  But, I plan to give you a run for your money on this one, and we won't know for sure until I am more than 74.  Or if you keep closing them, until I am more than whenever you stop.  And knowing your health, you will still be alive when I am gone.  But for now I am just gonna hope I make 74.

I hope you make it - and I hope I'm still here to see it haha! 

Just went out to the garage and did my 135# COC 2.5 - the 141# was very close but a miss.  It's been weeks (maybe months) since I touched a gripper of any kind.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

What's the oldest anyone has closed a #3?  I might have a shot at it LOL.  I have a narrow 141# gripper (BB) - I can still close on occasion with my version of a set (not a very good set) hehe!  Age 74.

That’s good stuff! 

22 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Thats would exclude the rest of the planet, I think everyone should have a chance to win it, But if someone international does they just pay shipping

I'm not following. Why would it exclude the rest of the planet? Last time a man from Finland won.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm not following. Why would it exclude the rest of the planet? Last time a man from Finland won.

Majority of people watching NFL are from the US, I personally don't even know anyone that watches NFL here in Denmark.

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Majority of people watching NFL are from the US, I personally don't even know anyone that watches NFL here in Denmark.

Wasn't suggesting to do the exact same thing again. Read my comment again.

Also, it doesn't matter. This is a US based forum. So you have to deal with stuff that is not common for you.

The lamest thing that could be done is lottery.

Thats just my two cents.

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Wasn't suggesting to do the exact same thing again. Read my comment again.

Also, it doesn't matter. This is a US based forum. So you have to deal with stuff that is not common for you.

The lamest thing that could be done is lottery.

Thats just my two cents.

I don't see what the forum being based in the US has to do with anything, surely it's a forum for everyone in the world. 

I agree lottery would be the most boring, so I think the riddle idea would be perfect.

14 hours ago, climber511 said:

I hope you make it - and I hope I'm still here to see it haha! 

Just went out to the garage and did my 135# COC 2.5 - the 141# was very close but a miss.  It's been weeks (maybe months) since I touched a gripper of any kind.

May you both live to 100 and the last breath you hear be mine

heres an idea, why doesn't everyone whos interested donate 5 bucks to a charity, like WoundedWarriors or something like that... Then do a raffle.

that way Cannon, benefits, and veterans or a charity of @Cannonchoice benefits..

the riddle thing is cool though, i like riddles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Also, I'd boast that at age 52 I MMS closed a COC 3.5 rated 165 (that's a light one I know, and I just barely got it!) -- but I did that right around when Michael Thomas MMS closed a COC 3.5 rated 168 at age 53 or 54.  I believe that is on vid somewhere on this board.

So we oldsters can still crush it once in a while!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmilBB said:

I don't see what the forum being based in the US has to do with anything, surely it's a forum for everyone in the world. 

I agree lottery would be the most boring, so I think the riddle idea would be perfect.

Well if the riddle would be in danish nobody would understand it. That's one thing that is worth pointing out. Luckily the forum is US based so we can get it in english :D

Never said it wasn't for everyone. I said it was based in the USA. So don't expect to not see stuff which is american. That would be kinda foolish.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Well if the riddle would be in danish nobody would understand it. That's one thing that is worth pointing out. Luckily the forum is US based so we can get it in english :D

Never said it wasn't for everyone. I said it was based in the USA. So don't expect to not see stuff which is american. That would be kinda foolish.

I wouldn't mind the riddle being in danish, just like you wouldn't mind the NFL predictions. However I just think it should be as fair and equal as possible for all participants, that's all.

21 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I wouldn't mind the riddle being in danish, just like you wouldn't mind the NFL predictions. However I just think it should be as fair and equal as possible for all participants, that's all.

Life isn't fair. 

And again, to make this very clear, since you don't seem to get it. I never suggested this should be about NFL.

I suggested to do something similar to that, which he did a few years back when you weren't here to cry like babies.

50 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Life isn't fair. 

And again, to make this very clear, since you don't seem to get it. I never suggested this should be about NFL.

I suggested to do something similar to that, which he did a few years back when you weren't here to cry like babies.

No one is crying like babies, we're just saying our opinions. Don't take it personal, we're just disagreeing with your suggestion.

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 1

I don't like riddles.  I'd vote for a lottery.  Or maybe a written essay with the topic chosen by Matt and judged by him too.  

• Like 2

I prefer limericks, "There once was a man from Nantucket..." 😆

Jokes aside, I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with, and tossing my hat in the ring!

• Like 2

It's Matt's gripper - he should do whatever he wants with it.

• Like 6

I'm glad this is fun. :whistel If I did a riddle it would be HARD. The gripper honestly might go unclaimed for a while. I would take care that the parts cannot be googled. You would just have to figure it out. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

the answer is 42

yes yes the gripper is located at the restaurant at the end of the universe :laugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think you should go with the riddle idea.  Make it real hard - that should also boost your web traffic (which seems like quite a fair outcome to me).

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 5:54 AM, EmilBB said:

I live in the U.S. and I don't know anything about football because I don't care about it :)

• Like 2

I don't even know what I would do with a 137 3. TNS it? I've already TNS'd a 137 Fe & a 145 HG300. I saw one on the pre-rated list once but it was gone quick, I was only really interested in it as a collectors item anyway. But I agree it's Matt's to do what he wants. Maybe auction it or something, it's basically a cheat code to doing MM0 lol

• Like 2

Very cool and rare gripper! I would be willing to pay at least double for it and possibly much more if it went to a bidding war.

• Like 1

Also just found a 203 #4.  The last time there was a 203 was 1/13/21 almost exactly 2 years ago. It's close to being the lowest since then as well, except there was a 202 on 2/24/22. 203 is a low #4! It's pretty narrow at 69 mm.

• Like 8