Block Lifting

anson

i'm new to all this, and from the research i've done i know how important block or blob lifting if for developing hand strength. so i was thinking of buy all these hex DBs and hacking em up, but(i'm poor!) then it occured to me- why not take the DBs i already have and just turn em 90 degrees(on end) and lift em like that? i tried it with my 35lb hex and it's very hard for me! i can only hold it for 1-2 seconds in my strong hand. i guess part of what makes it hard is the width- it's 4.75 inches across, i think i have pretty average sized hands at 7.75 inches. has anyone else tried this? today was my first day and i can already feel something going on deep down in my hands. but it still seems weird to me that this is such a great developer of hand strength because it is basically a static hold. when i think of exercises that build real strength i always think movement, different muscles working together(squats, DLs, BP), can anyone explain this? also starting out what kind of sets/reps should i be trying for?

Anson

There are some photos in the gallery of people lifting block weights by the faces. It's easier for some people that lifing it the regular way (not for me though).

If $'s tight pinch 'em on end till you save a few bucks. A Block is nicer because as you get stronger you can do harder exercizes: Toss, Cleans, snatch, etc....

Blocks are probably one of the best strength developers for the hand because it pretty much is the only exercize which works every aspect of the hand. (except for extensors of course, but this can't be helped.) Thick bar is probably a close second because thick bars don't hammer the thumbs like blocks do.

Also, blocks are more helpful (overall) because it is WIDE pinching. Regular/narrow pinching isolates the thumbs, but will not necessarily have the same strengthing effects on the hand overall. Blocks vary in width, so your hand is being trained in various positions.

Do you have MOHS? If not get it. Read it. Reread the chaper on Block Weights. It's all in there.

Brookfield is a much better writer than I am, and he knows more too.

-HH

As of last Sunday, all hex dumbells were 1/2 off at The Sports Authority - I made my first block weights from a 50 pounder for $18 and change. I think that the sale is on for another week or so. I've been very happy with them.

Also, if I'm reading J. Brookfield's book right, isn't there a good risk of straining your thumb/tendons lifting by the face since it's so wide?

Be sure to stay within the limits that your hand will support structurally. You'll know it the movment isn't safe once you start to apply pressure.

-HH

janders - I'm also looking for a good hex dumbell to cut up so i went to the Sports Authority's website and it seemed their heaviest hex dumbell was a 50lbs'er, did you find this to be true at the outlet you went to?

-Matt

mANVIL,

Yep - 50lbs was the heaviest, but it was $18($36 reg.), not 25 or whatever the website says. For me, I figured $18 was pretty good way to start. I think I may go back and get a 40lber tomorrow for tossin' and such, if they're still on sale.

janders just got my 50 lbs dumbell from sports authority for 18$ (actually 8$ because i found a 10$ off coupon!!) and cut both heads off (a workout in itself). I've probably deadlifted, cleaned and curled those things about 50 times and my hands feel great. Thanks for letting us know about the sale. Thanks bender for your website convincing me to get off my ass and get some block weights :mosher

-Matt

janders just got my 50 lbs dumbell from sports authority for 18$ (actually 8$ because i found a 10$ off coupon!!)

Thanks for letting us know about the sale.

And I thought I got a good deal... I just finished my second workout with them and moved up to using both at the same time for farmer's walks and cleans. The slightly slippery finish makes for a great workout, doesn't it? I just wish they carried heavier weights.

Yeah the slippery finish does make it harder especially since i'm not using chalk right now. I also wished they carried heavier dumbells (who stops at 50 lbs..honestly) but i'm just going to go through my routine and duct tape 2.5 or 5 lbs plates to the bottom until then. Btw try adding in block weight curls if you dont already do them they were alot of fun and more difficult then i anticipated.

-Matt

i bought the 80# hex DB today and hacked it, couldn't lift the 40# block an inch! it seems to make a big difference for me going from a 35# block to a 40#, oh well, just need to keep trainning. i was wondering how the finish on the hex compairs to the finish on the York bolb?

Hex can be very slippery. Work with 'em outside. When you drop 'em on a hard surface it will make 'em rougher. I think Yorks are about as slippery, because of the shape.

-HH

HH is right about the hex's being very slick. The York's actually have more texture to them, but because of the shape of the sides (they slope outwards) they're more difficult to hang onto.