Does anyone know where I can get a knurled Ivanko clone with a "normal" close?

DevilErik

Hey guys I am looking for a knurled Ivanko clone with a "normal" close.

The Ivanko close feels like an overcrush and I really don't like that.

I also want to get it with 3 springs.

I know Silarukov sells one but I can't get that atm.

I also don't want a cheap chinese gripper.

Does anyone know if this is a gripper without the "overcrush feeling".

https://www.pullumsports.co.uk/products/iron-woody-the-vise-gripper

I was thinking of buying this and removing the springs from my Ivanko but I don't want the close to feel like an overcrush.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Just now, John Knowlton said:

I seen some like that on Amazon

I have seen those as well but they were made in Japan and I don't trust springs that were made in Japan or China.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I have seen those as well but they were made in Japan and I don't trust springs that were made in Japan or China.

I got the kind with the gripper style handles from Amazon with 6 springs and they are strong springs but it doesn’t operate very smoothly. The handle gets kinda stuck in the closed position without a spring on it. I haven’t oiled it to see if if fixed it. I just threw it in the pile of grip. Ha

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DevilErik said:

If something is genuinely made in Japan - not just assembled, 99% of the time, it will be very good quality but pricy (not just saying, experience). China varies a lot, of course. 

But the weak point is usually not the spring with these extension spring grippers anyways, but the gripper body itself. I don't use mine a lot anymore, but I have a feeling that if it fails somewhere, it will be at the part I highlighted with red. 
Btw mine came with three springs, but even with two springs, the max is crazy hard. Easily above RGC 200 at the close. 😅

And the inner part of the handles is still just the gripper body, not the knurled aluminum (even with the Silarukov-1). So you might get the same "overcrush" feel as with the Ivanko, but I'm not sure. 

sr.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

I wonder if you could drill that out and put a nut and bolt

9 hours ago, matek said:

If something is genuinely made in Japan - not just assembled, 99% of the time, it will be very good quality but pricy (not just saying, experience). China varies a lot, of course. 

But the weak point is usually not the spring with these extension spring grippers anyways, but the gripper body itself. I don't use mine a lot anymore, but I have a feeling that if it fails somewhere, it will be at the part I highlighted with red. 
Btw mine came with three springs, but even with two springs, the max is crazy hard. Easily above RGC 200 at the close. 😅

And the inner part of the handles is still just the gripper body, not the knurled aluminum (even with the Silarukov-1). So you might get the same "overcrush" feel as with the Ivanko, but I'm not sure. 

sr.JPG

I just learned something new thanks!

Yeah with all things considered I think I will stop using "Ivanko type" grippers.

My Ivanko handle is not working properly anymore so I won't ever touch it again.

I have already closed the highest setting so it doesn't matter.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

I did get a brand new adjustable I can't wait for it to carry me all the way to a no.4 because it feels EXACTLY like a CoC gripper.

54 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I did get a brand new adjustable I can't wait for it to carry me all the way to a no.4 because it feels EXACTLY like a CoC gripper.

Nice! What gripper is that? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matek said:

Nice! What gripper is that? 

The RB adjustable it has a 75mm spread so it's perfect for no sets.

• Like 1