Anyone get very sore abs after bending?

Blacksmith513

Every since I started bending, whether i'm bending steel, using the wrist developer or even that horseshoe bender I have.. I often get ab pain.. Only in mid to upper right side though. It lasts a few days, goes away...Not after every session but probably half of them.  Its just weird its mainly one side in the same spot where it occurs. Does this happen to anyone else?

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

If you're doing braced bending of a horseshoe the normal way, yes you will get very sore in the side you're torquing towards.

I can barely move after doing this exercise. But as with all exercises you will get used and DOMS will stop after a while.

It's one of the most extreme types of DOMS I have ever got. I think the only thing that can beat it is if you don't train your legs for a long while then go to the gym and do a lot of leg work in all the machines. That is the only thing that is worse I think, but the DOMS I get from braced bending is not far off from that.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you're doing braced bending of a horseshoe the normal way, yes you will get very sore in the side you're torquing towards.

I can barely move after doing this exercise. But as with all exercises you will get used and DOMS will stop after a while.

It's one of the most extreme types of DOMS I have ever got. I think the only thing that can beat it is if you don't train your legs for a long while then go to the gym and do a lot of leg work in all the machines. That is the only thing that is worse I think, but the DOMS I get from braced bending is not far off from that.

That makes sense. I use the horseshoe bender on both sides but I’m much stronger with it braced on right thigh. That thing really works the abs.

• 9 months later...

Oh yeah especially for braced bending. Anything that’s got a lot of downward pressing against my thigh like horse shoes or pry bars usually gets my abs cramping up after a little while 😂 I need to do more abs but in my opinion braced bending hits them plenty hard enough 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, Austin Seitter said:

Oh yeah especially for braced bending. Anything that’s got a lot of downward pressing against my thigh like horse shoes or pry bars usually gets my abs cramping up after a little while 😂 I need to do more abs but in my opinion braced bending hits them plenty hard enough 

I haven't used my horse shoe bender in a while and I don't really get it anymore. Even though its not technically bending, a lot of the same muscles where being used.  

Yeah braced bending really works the abs.

My serratus anterior and oblique is more defined on my right side from doing braced bending. With the style that I used it heavily strained my core leading to soreness in the early stages of my bending journey. 

With unbraced bending I can see it affecting your lats (especially double overhand) as alot of the power come from the back muscles.