Read this if you’ve closed a #3 and up!

AdriaanRobert96

14 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

10 to 15 reps? Assuming it is an average 3 then yeah you will close average 3.5. Try wider reps, speed closes and hydraulic closes. When the 3 feels like nothing then you easily will get the 3.5

Yessir, took me exactly 1 week from closing the average #3 to close it 5-6 reps of wide set.

I also have a hard #3 that I might move up to after managing the average #3 for atleast 10-15 reps.

7 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Not to be negative here, but just reality for those out there setting goals. Unless you are able to close a #3 in a very short time with pretty much basic grip training, you are not likely going to be able to get to the #3.5 level.

I would like to respectfully disagree about the time being a set rule that tells you wether you succeed or not😄

Took me 4 weeks to both ccs and no set a average #3 which is decent I guess?

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

A couple months tops.  Maybe even less frankly.  

It's no different with other lifts. It's called genetic potential.  You can't expect to squat 600 if 400 and likely 500 weren't obtained pretty easily and quickly.  Same with the bench press.  You likely have no shot at 400 if you struggle to achieve 300.  Disclaimer: no PEDS are in play here.  Also disclaimer reasonable techniques on these lifts. Not that you turned into a super archer and changed your bench stroke to 2 inches. LOL!

Interesting point, I can definitely agree with you on the genetic point of view..

Personally I never let my genetics dictate my success rate.

Everything I’ve ever wanted to achieve I can say I achieved with both smart and hard work which btw I am a sucker for😂

5 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I closed my #3 after a month of training grip just farting around not really adhering to any kind of best practices, Achieved the #3.5 earlier this year and am putting a decent dent in my #4, While i agree that genetics definitely makes up a decent bulk of your true potential in the sport, Programming will be your bread and butter since if you're just messing around unless you're a 0.000000001% phenom, You're not gonna get to that level

Very well said, altho genetics play a role I never let that stop me and neither should anyone else.

I’ll close that damn #4 even if it’s the last thing I do😂

Smart and hard work..

4 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

^This may be true for the vast majority of people..I closed a 2.5 my first day trying grippers, was almost TNS'ing a 3 because I didn't know how to set a gripper, the first day I tried the widest set possible still having no idea what I was doing I closed a 3 with a credit card, a couple months into using grippers. I've been on & off grippers for the past year (both from overtraining tendonitis/resting & training other implements) but in my last bout of grippers I closed 2 different 3.5's. Genetic potential is a real thing, however I know there are people like Jedd that couldn't close a #1 when first starting out and I think have closed a 3.5 by now (MM4 is pretty equivalent to a 3.5) - but this is more of just spending years & years going at it..I agree that to get to a 3.5 *quickly* you should also have got to a 3 *quickly*. I know adult males that struggle with below 90 RGC...

Also I really just lift for maintenence now not actively pushing powerlifting like I used to, but my best lifts were 465 squat, 530 deadlift, & 350 bench press. I am also 5'8" and on average usually weigh 190.

I also think people train at very different levels. Some push very hard, some don't. I know people who almost a decade later really haven't even upped the weight of any of their lifts at all, or the volume, or technique or anything, some people just really baby themselves in the weight room & lift very cautiously I guess. I would be suprised if some people I knew even broke a sweat during their workouts, where other people treat a lift like it's a life & death matter. Some people have the rage, others don't. Some people like working out, some don't, & won't. Some of the girls I have tried to take to the gym with me during my life time just sat in the sauna until I was done lifting. Ugh..

Indeed is it a real thing, very impressive nontheless!

How’s the bringing girls to the gym work out for you now🤣?

Jokes aside, still grippin?

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

My prediction is that the rules will become even more ambiguous for bench press. They will screw it up even more. Just do para bench for everyone, no legs. Solved.

Also, I disagree with the statement that you need to close the #3 fast in order to get to the #3.5.

It took me 2-3 years to close #3's and it took me around 1 year to go to 160+ and then around 6 months to go to above 170 from there. So it took me much less time to make much harder gains.

I know that Jedd Johnson also has mentioned that he was stuck at the same level (I think around #3-level) for like 10 years before he found a better way to train and got much higher than that (MM4).

Thing with grippers is that it can take a long time and most people simply give up because the gains come very slowly.

Well said, totally agree and especially about the having a variety of ways when it comes to training👍🏼

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Also, I disagree with the statement that you need to close the #3 fast in order to get to the #3.5.

What I am saying is the probability of closing a 3.5 is greatly diminished if you don't quickly get to a #3. Not impossible. Just not as likely.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

What I am saying is the probability of closing a 3.5 is greatly diminished if you don't quickly get to a #3. Not impossible. Just not as likely.  

That has some truth to it for sure🧐

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Yes for sure, most give up, which is understandable, it's difficult. Training with almost no progress for long periods of time is not fun. So I can agree on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes for sure, most give up, which is understandable, it's difficult. Training with almost no progress for long periods of time is not fun. So I can agree on that.

That’s truly a feeling that’s hard to get by? but with some smart work on the programming with trial and error we’ll manage👍🏼

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

That’s truly a feeling that’s hard to get by? but with some smart work on the programming with trial and error we’ll manage👍🏼

I've lost count on how many times I've thrown my grippers in to the wall. Good I don't have any windows in my gym :D

• Haha 3

I doubt there's a feeling more frustrating for a gripster than hitting a milestone and slowly going backwards, grippers seem to scale with everything from humidity to the damn moon phase

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2022 at 9:15 AM, Wannagrip said:

Not to be negative here, but just reality for those out there setting goals. Unless you are able to close a #3 in a very short time with pretty much basic grip training, you are not likely going to be able to get to the #3.5 level.

Disagree. It took me a while to get to the #3 (perhaps because my technique was bad or my own programming was inadequate, not entirely sure). Now I can close 172 and 167 #3.5s and have no signs of slowing down. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

It just means it will take you longer, far from impossible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Agreed. I will never close a 3.5 or even a 3, but it's only because I don't want to and it isn't a goal. There's nothing physically wrong with me, just a lack of interest. I'll never squat 400 either, but I and most people could achieve that no problem if it was an important goal. 

29 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Agreed. I will never close a 3.5 or even a 3, but it's only because I don't want to and it isn't a goal. There's nothing physically wrong with me, just a lack of interest. I'll never squat 400 either, but I and most people could achieve that no problem if it was an important goal. 

So why are you reading this topic? :D 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I've lost count on how many times I've thrown my grippers in to the wall. Good I don't have any windows in my gym :D

Oh man😂Smashed it into the damn floor atleast a handful of times aswell, so frustrating at times when one’s stalled🥺

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Disagree. It took me a while to get to the #3 (perhaps because my technique was bad or my own programming was inadequate, not entirely sure). Now I can close 172 and 167 #3.5s and have no signs of slowing down. 

That’s the mindset😎Keep at it bud!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

So why are you reading this topic? :D 

Rules were made to be broken

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Probability, generally speaking, sure. Obviously the vast majority that get the 3 dont get the 3.5, almost nobody with credit card. This does not however change anything in terms of if it's possible or not. The vast majority simply don't put anywhere near the effort in that the elite do as they simply don't care as much, and then the true world class outliners are typically more on obsessive and the dedication and effort levels are night and day beyond the norm. For me it didn't happen quickly at all and i was completely obsessed and dedicated from day 1. It took me 5 months to get #2 closed both hands, years for the #3 etc still ended up closing hard #4's mms with both hands. Almost nobody is going to have that same kind of obsession and dedication though an honestly now i don't fully understand why i was like that for so long.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

I never said it was impossible, but the probability of it happening is greatly diminished.  AKA not likely as a norm. Been in the weight game now for 43 years and I always get a chuckle when newbs start lifting and think there are infinite gains to be had forever.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Probability, generally speaking, sure. Obviously the vast majority that get the 3 dont get the 3.5, almost nobody with credit card. This does not however change anything in terms of if it's possible or not. The vast majority simply don't put anywhere near the effort in that the elite do as they simply don't care as much, and then the true world class outliners are typically more on obsessive and the dedication and effort levels are night and day beyond the norm. For me it didn't happen quickly at all and i was completely obsessed and dedicated from day 1. It took me 5 months to get #2 closed both hands, years for the #3 etc still ended up closing hard #4's mms with both hands. Almost nobody is going to have that same kind of obsession and dedication though an honestly now i don't fully understand why i was like that for so long.

Amen brother🥺

Pretty much got to be obsessed🤣

You also have to be able to endure the training. It's yet another angle of genetic potential. I have found in my life that if I push hard at anything, something gives. I get hurt. I know guys that just blast their bodies and take the abuse and keep rolling. I have hurt myself doing everything I'm interested in... Grip, running, basketball, lifting, triple jump, bodyweight exercises... I've actually hurt myself doing rehab so I wouldn't get hurt doing the things I enjoy. :trout 

Think about the career of like Lebron James versus a Grant Hill or Penny Hardaway. That's what I mean.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sacrificing our bodies for the things we love to do

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

You also have to be able to endure the training. It's yet another angle of genetic potential. I have found in my life that if I push hard at anything, something gives. I get hurt. I know guys that just blast their bodies and take the abuse and keep rolling. I have hurt myself doing everything I'm interested in... Grip, running, basketball, lifting, triple jump, bodyweight exercises... I've actually hurt myself doing rehab so I wouldn't get hurt doing the things I enjoy. :trout 

Think about the career of like Lebron James versus a Grant Hill or Penny Hardaway. That's what I mean.   

I very much see myself in the things you describe, although I never really hurt myself in any of my “careers” except grip🥺

I remember hurting my left hands middle finger knuckle in the beginning when I just bought them.

Hey, we live and we learn because that’s life!

Most importantly we do what we love to do😇

• Like 1