Squats and Grip

usuallyunusual

8 hours ago, usuallyunusual said:

I have done this 2 times before, with eventually going back to a 5 days split. But I always get a lot of improvement with my squats. My deadlift suffers, as right now I'm only doing Axle Deads and mainly for grip strength. My knees are slightly annoyed... But it really is very doable. Just keeping my volume low and using an ssb which saves my shoulder has been key, I believe 

Thats awesome. I've always been afraid to to something everyday. But i'm sure its fine and beneficial if you go about it like you are.

If you want a good "beginners" grip routine, David Horne has a real nice one. You are far from a beginner but just a couple months on it might be good to condition the tendons and then decide where to go from there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats awesome. I've always been afraid to to something everyday. But i'm sure its fine and beneficial if you go about it like you are.

If you want a good "beginners" grip routine, David Horne has a real nice one. You are far from a beginner but just a couple months on it might be good to condition the tendons and then decide where to go from there.

That's probably the better idea to get my tendons/joints more accustomed to grip work. Of course I always want to jump head first into whatever I'm doing... But I should take a step back and do his beginner routine 

• Like 2

Day 49 11/24/22

SSB Squats 

265*1 285*1

205*2, 2

Ironmind anvil 

50*5, 5, 5

2" block pinch

20*5, 5, 5

Planks 45secs for 3 sets 

• Like 5

Day 50 11/25/22

SSB Squats 

265*1 285*1

205*2, 2

DB Bench 50*10, 10, 10

Bicep curl with fat grips 

15*12,12 

20*12, 12

Flyes 25*10, 10, 10

Ab Rope 40*10, 10, 10

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I have posted... Changed up training a little

Little Big Horn 

110*1

80*4, 4, 4, 4

Lattice Quad Block (deep pinch) 

30*3(3 sec holds) 

35*3 (3 sec hold) (2 sets) 

30*3 (3 sec hold) 

25*15 second holds

Grippers (new to grippers, never done them before) 

Guide 10, 10

GG1- 5, 5

HG 150- Heavy hold 

Wrist curls 

20*10, 10// 25*10

Hangboard 

30mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

25mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

20mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

Random question... Do you guys train grip every day? 

I have been training grip 3 times a week averaging about 4 exercises per day and always ending with hang boarding. Would it be better to do like 1 thing a day every day? Or just hammer grip 3 times a week? I am still very new to grip training and I appreciate all of the help I can get. I enjoy reading everyone's log and trying to learn from you guys. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, usuallyunusual said:

It's been a while since I have posted... Changed up training a little

Little Big Horn 

110*1

80*4, 4, 4, 4

Lattice Quad Block (deep pinch) 

30*3(3 sec holds) 

35*3 (3 sec hold) (2 sets) 

30*3 (3 sec hold) 

25*15 second holds

Grippers (new to grippers, never done them before) 

Guide 10, 10

GG1- 5, 5

HG 150- Heavy hold 

Wrist curls 

20*10, 10// 25*10

Hangboard 

30mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

25mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

20mmx 10 secs, 10 secs/ 3 Pullups 

Random question... Do you guys train grip every day? 

I have been training grip 3 times a week averaging about 4 exercises per day and always ending with hang boarding. Would it be better to do like 1 thing a day every day? Or just hammer grip 3 times a week? I am still very new to grip training and I appreciate all of the help I can get. I enjoy reading everyone's log and trying to learn from you guys. 

I train grip less than twice a week. Like every 3-5 days depending on what is going on. Training it every day is not a good idea as it can lead to tendonitis and be counterproductive to strength gains, unless most of it is just really light for active recovery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do rolling thunder once a week, pinch once a week and grippers once a week all on different days. Training is weird though lots of people do very different things and get good results so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Do whatever you like and is fun for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tuesdays I do Rolling Grip Thing, and work with inch and 2x5 pinch Napalm Nightmare...  Thursdays is bending and levering, Saturdays is loadable inch dumbbell and RGT again.  Been going very good, sorta hit a wall this past month but i'm mixing it up rep ranges a little now and I will start eating more than i already do.  I'm mainly doing all wrist stuff and sometimes they do get tired.  I also screw around with some calisthenics and kettlebells but those aren't my main focus and just go by feeling and how much extra time I have.   

Grippers can be pretty taxing if you already have a big workload.

Overall everything is going good,   don't get frustrated when the numbers get stagnant, just revaluate.

Do you have Grip specific goals or do you want to just strengthen your grip for your regular lifting routine?

Edited by Blacksmith513

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Tuesdays I do Rolling Grip Thing, and work with inch and 2x5 pinch Napalm Nightmare...  Thursdays is bending and levering, Saturdays is loadable inch dumbbell and RGT again.  Been going very good, sorta hit a wall this past month but i'm mixing it up rep ranges a little now and I will start eating more than i already do.  I'm mainly doing all wrist stuff and sometimes they do get tired.  I also screw around with some calisthenics and kettlebells but those aren't my main focus and just go by feeling and how much extra time I have.   

Grippers can be pretty taxing if you already have a big workload.

Overall everything is going good,   don't get frustrated when the numbers get stagnant, just revaluate.

Do you have Grip specific goals or do you want to just strengthen your grip for your regular lifting routine?

Thank you for your reply! 

At the moment I don't really have a grip goal. Eventually I would like to compete but I don't have anything specific I am training for. Just trying to get my feet wet for now and trying to get stronger. I would love to pick a competition and shoot for a goal later this year, after I gain some strength. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, usuallyunusual said:

Thank you for your reply! 

At the moment I don't really have a grip goal. Eventually I would like to compete but I don't have anything specific I am training for. Just trying to get my feet wet for now and trying to get stronger. I would love to pick a competition and shoot for a goal later this year, after I gain some strength. 

Just keep doing what your doing if you are recovering and getting stronger then. A rolling handle might be a great addition to what you are doing if you are looking for something new.

• Like 2

Read everything you can listen to everyone who talks to you about grip but only use what works for you

• Thanks 1

2-6-23

Started the 'Clay Edgin' rolling thunder plan today 

Arm Assassin rolling handle (2")

100*8 (RH Only) 

Drop sets 90x8, 8,8 then  80x8,8,8

Finger curls @ 105x 8, 8, 8

Wrist curls @ 25x 10, 10, 10

Hangboard 

30mmx 10 secs for 2 sets

25mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

20mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

The program seems like a ton of volume vs what I am use to. But I am going to stuck with it. I ordered a new handle today @ 2 3/8" so I may revamp and start the program over to the new handle.

Does anyone have any experience with the arm assassin vs the RT? 

Also, I noticed a lot of people have a bent arm while lifting. Is that what you are suppose to do? I tried the bent arm vs completely straight arm and it just feels like it is working your forearm more... Which is great in the end. I just don't know what is right or wrong. 

Thank you for reading my log! 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, usuallyunusual said:

2-6-23

100*8 (RH Only) 

Hangboard 

30mmx 10 secs for 2 sets

25mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

20mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

The program seems like a ton of volume vs what I am use to. But I am going to stuck with it. I ordered a new handle today @ 2 3/8" so I may revamp and start the program over to the new handle.

Also, I noticed a lot of people have a bent arm while lifting. Is that what you are suppose to do? I tried the bent arm vs completely straight arm and it just feels like it is working your forearm more... Which is great in the end. I just don't know what is right or wrong. 

Awesome I am two weeks into the clay edgin rolling thunder program hoping for some good results. I think it’s whatever feels best or how you can lift more you don’t have to bend your elbow if you don’t like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Awesome I am two weeks into the clay edgin rolling thunder program hoping for some good results. I think it’s whatever feels best or how you can lift more you don’t have to bend your elbow if you don’t like it. 

Thank you for the advice. I hope to get decent results from this... But it does seem like a lot of volume. I actually have no clue the 'best' way to train, so doing this seems like fun. I'll keep up with your log and good luck with your training! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, usuallyunusual said:

2-6-23

100*8 (RH Only) 

Hangboard 

30mmx 10 secs for 2 sets

25mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

20mmx 10 secs for 2 sets 

This is something i've asked around lately. I've heard from some very strong grippers that they prefer to lift with bent arm as they can pull more weight. Adam T Glass recently told me, its fine as long as you know what your doing. If you don't train that last bit of ROM, someday when the weights get real heavy you have a better chance of tearing something.  So you gotta remember to work that last ROM, which you do with the hangboard.

So now I  do warm up sets with a straight arm and as I get to a heavier weight I bend my arm slightly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Napalm Nightmare 3*4 block

90x3 

80x 3, 3, 3 

70x 3, 3, 3

Lattice Quad Block 

20x 15 sec hold 

22.5x 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec hold

Grippers

Guidex 10, 10

GG1x 8, 8

HG150x 5, 2 (hand must be fatigued) 

Couldn't even close the hg150 last week... So I guess I either figured out how to get it set correctly in my hand or an incredible strength boost happened lol 

• Like 5

2/10/23

Ironmind Anvil

80*3, 90*1

75*3, 3, 3, 3

These felt super weak today... 

Lattice Quad Block 

10pdsx15 secs deep block 

Shallow pinch 10pdsx3 sets of 5 with 7 second holds 

Finger curls

105*5, 5, 5

Top roller wrist curls

10*10, 10, 10

Hangboard 

30mmx 10, 10 seconds 

25mmx 10, 10 seconds 

20mmx 10, 10 seconds 

15mmx 16, 8 seconds 

Felt pretty weak on Anvil today... Hangboard was incredibly better today. 

• Like 5

2/13/23

Napalms Nightmare (2 3/8")

80x8

75x8, 8, 8

65x8, 8, 8

Just received this handle today...definitely humbling vs the 2" handle

Lattice Tool Shallow set

25 pds x 5 reps, 5 reps for 5 second holds each

Grippers

guide x 10, 10

GG1 x 8, 8

HG150 x 5

COC .5 x 1, 1 PR!!!

I can't believe I even closed this.  I know that's weak but...I'm a girl sooo.... Super jacked about this 

Hangboard

30mm x 10, 10 secs

25mm x 10 secs

20mm x 10 secs

15mm x 10 secs

14mm (micro) x 5, 4 secs (pretty tough)

• Like 3

great work

Squats and Grip 

that would look good on a t-shirt 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, usuallyunusual said:

2/13/23

Napalms Nightmare (2 3/8")

80x8

75x8, 8, 8

65x8, 8, 8

Just received this handle today...definitely humbling vs the 2" handle

Lattice Tool Shallow set

25 pds x 5 reps, 5 reps for 5 second holds each

Grippers

guide x 10, 10

GG1 x 8, 8

HG150 x 5

COC .5 x 1, 1 PR!!!

I can't believe I even closed this.  I know that's weak but...I'm a girl sooo.... Super jacked about this 

Hangboard

30mm x 10, 10 secs

25mm x 10 secs

20mm x 10 secs

15mm x 10 secs

14mm (micro) x 5, 4 secs (pretty tough)

Very strong not weak at all. Most guys these days probably can't close a .5. Yeah that 2 3/8 handle is crazy hard.  You should try the pinch blocks someday too.  Its a great piece of equipment.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

great work

Squats and Grip 

that would look good on a t-shirt 

Yea that would be cool... We need more grip board shirt options! That would be a good one 

• Like 1