Jump to content

Squats and Grip


usuallyunusual
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, I am new to the grip training world, and I am trying to learn and document what I am doing, and I am completely open to training suggestions and help through this training log.  I am not new to lifting, I have been lifting for 15 years...but if I seem weak, I'm a girl, so there's that.  I have been squatting every day, doing some form of benching 3 times a week and grip training 3 times a week.  I would also like to get into bending, so far, I have only bent 16d nails and 3/16" CRS.  I have a lot of work to do...

11-21-22 Day 46 of consecutive squatting

SSB Squat 

top sets

260x1

280x1

205x2,2

Bench

145x 5, 5, 5

Bicep curls (with fat grips)

15pdsx12, 12, 12, 

Flyes

15pdsx12  20 pdsx12

bending

16d nailsx3 3/16" CRSx1

Any suggestions on exercises to compliment bending would be greatly appreciated

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best way to get better at bending is to bend.  Id recommend buying some stock from EatChalkGetBig. A sledgehammer would be great for conditioning the wrists for bending too.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Best way to get better at bending is to bend.  Id recommend buying some stock from EatChalkGetBig. A sledgehammer would be great for conditioning the wrists for bending too.

Thank you! I ordered the bending technique rod and 40D nails from Eat Chalk Get Big... I'll also work on the sledgehammer. Thanks for the advice! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, usuallyunusual said:

Thank you! I ordered the bending technique rod and 40D nails from Eat Chalk Get Big... I'll also work on the sledgehammer. Thanks for the advice! 

Awesome.. Make sure when you wrap the stock, you keep them tight.  Another good product but its a little pricy is the Wrist Developer.  Its not needed, but its helped strengthen my wrists and you can save on stock by warming up with it. So it sorta is a money saver in the long run.. But this is only for reverse bending.  

I'm far from being a good bender so I  feel shouldn't be giving too much advice. But I do know a little.  Start slow, its addicting. I lost like 4 months last year due to some nasty tendonitis I got from it in my wrists.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mikhael said:

Even though I don't bend, I agree with @Blacksmith513, if you want to get better in something, practice. Lot of practice. 

It's especially true with steel bending. There's nothing that can replace it.

As for assistance exercises I would say it depends on what type of bending you're doing but just doing the basic exercises that builds strength in the upper body is what you should do. Deadlifts, bench press, pull ups (and/or lat work in cable machine). Biceps, triceps, abs, trapz etc. You need to be strong in your entire upper body. If you're doing braced bending and use your legs you need to be strong in them as well and your core needs to be even stronger.

And of course as already mentioned, sledge hammer levering is a great exercise. Actually the slegge hammer is probably the SINGLE best workout tool for anyone doing something grip related.

If you're doing double overhand bending, mobility in shoulders, chest and back is also very important. If you have poor mobility it doesn't really matter how strong you are.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Awesome.. Make sure when you wrap the stock, you keep them tight.  Another good product but its a little pricy is the Wrist Developer.  Its not needed, but its helped strengthen my wrists and you can save on stock by warming up with it. So it sorta is a money saver in the long run.. But this is only for reverse bending.  

I'm far from being a good bender so I  feel shouldn't be giving too much advice. But I do know a little.  Start slow, its addicting. I lost like 4 months last year due to some nasty tendonitis I got from it in my wrists.

I'll definitely keep that in mind.  It does seem like a lot of fun for some reason.  I guess breaking stuff is just fun in general

What is your thoughts on the twist your wrist for wrist development

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, usuallyunusual said:

I'll definitely keep that in mind.  It does seem like a lot of fun for some reason.  I guess breaking stuff is just fun in general

What is your thoughts on the twist your wrist for wrist development

I have one and I used it for a year or two. Yes its a great addition, its good for elbow health too i found. It doesn't really fit in my routine, but i'd like to use it again someday.

There are so many ways to strengthen your wrists and its really dependent on your goals.. But knowing what I know now, a 8,10 and eventually 16lbs sledge with the handles marked in inch increments and do a few different movements, will take you really far. 

But i'm only a rookie... Look around and see what the masters are doing in their logs.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Gripboard! Solid workout and cool routine (squatting every day). 

I agree with the others. Having strong shoulders (OHP), upper back (pullups, rows), and wrists (ulnar and radial deviations) is important and can be trained separately, but the best exercise for bending is bending. 
Btw, I never did it with heavy weights, but I love the twist yo wrist for warmups and recovery.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to Grip and the GripBoard

squats are way cool

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Day 47 squatting 

Straight bar fun @ the Y

265*1

295*1

320*1 (PR!!!) 

225*2, 2 (downsets) 

Thick handle from arm assassin (rolling thunder like implement) 

80*4 

95*3

68*5, 5, 5

3.5" block 

25*3, 3

15*5, 5

Sledge hammer levers front/back 

Ab rope/expand your hand work to finish off the day 

Any critique on sets/reps/frequency of grip work is always appreciated. 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always catch some crap for this but I feel Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are the "base strength" movements everyone should be doing - especially in the beginning.  Add in "finger curls" in a rack and that alone will take you a long way.  Go to The Grip Well and read my post - Climber511 or Chris Rice.  when my wrist curl number is way up - so is everything else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I always catch some crap for this but I feel Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are the "base strength" movements everyone should be doing - especially in the beginning.  Add in "finger curls" in a rack and that alone will take you a long way.  Go to The Grip Well and read my post - Climber511 or Chris Rice.  when my wrist curl number is way up - so is everything else.

Why do you always take crap? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Why do you always take crap? 

Many people don't believe you can get a strong grip from such a simple movement and think in order to be strong you need a warehouse full of specialized implements but that has always been false. Grip toys are definitely fun, but not necessary. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Many people don't believe you can get a strong grip from such a simple movement and think in order to be strong you need a warehouse full of specialized implements but that has always been false. Grip toys are definitely fun, but not necessary. 

Theres some old posts on here by some Strong folk that pretty much prove that.  I guess some folk really like having things…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I always catch some crap for this but I feel Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are the "base strength" movements everyone should be doing - especially in the beginning.  Add in "finger curls" in a rack and that alone will take you a long way.  Go to The Grip Well and read my post - Climber511 or Chris Rice.  when my wrist curl number is way up - so is everything else.

Any specific variation of wrist curl? Like plate wrist curl or just with a dumbbell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Any specific variation of wrist curl? Like plate wrist curl or just with a dumbbell?

I do a program called Power Forearms by Strength for Health - available for free with a search.  I use a barbell so I can go heavier with better control.  FOR ME it's a strength exercise and I push the weight.  When I am doing 200# wrist curls and heavy finger curls everything else seems to fall into place. I explain it all pretty well in my Grip Well posts.  

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Theres some old posts on here by some Strong folk that pretty much prove that.  I guess some folk really like having things…

Oh I totally get it, I have a ton of things I've bought or made that aren't necessary, but they are fun and I enjoy them and that's enough reason but just don't get too attached or think you must have every latest and greatest gadget. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, usuallyunusual said:

 

Day 47 squatting 

Straight bar fun @ the Y

265*1

295*1

320*1 (PR!!!) 

225*2, 2 (downsets) 

Thick handle from arm assassin (rolling thunder like implement) 

80*4 

95*3

68*5, 5, 5

3.5" block 

25*3, 3

15*5, 5

Sledge hammer levers front/back 

Ab rope/expand your hand work to finish off the day 

Any critique on sets/reps/frequency of grip work is always appreciated. 

 

 

Nice work congrats on the PR. Even though I squat every week I have never thought of them as fun haha. Least favourite movement.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice work congrats on the PR. Even though I squat every week I have never thought of them as fun haha. Least favourite movement.

Thank you, I appreciate that! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 48 

SSB Squats 

260*1

280*1

205*2,2

Incline Db press 

45*8, 8, 8, 8

Incline db curl

15*12, 12

20*10

Flyes

20*10  25*10, 10

Planks 3 sets of 40secs...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, usuallyunusual said:

Day 48 

SSB Squats 

260*1

280*1

205*2,2

Incline Db press 

45*8, 8, 8, 8

Incline db curl

15*12, 12

20*10

Flyes

20*10  25*10, 10

Planks 3 sets of 40secs...

Nice.  Did you work up to being able to do squats every day? That’s really impressive. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice.  Did you work up to being able to do squats every day? That’s really impressive. 

I have done this 2 times before, with eventually going back to a 5 days split. But I always get a lot of improvement with my squats. My deadlift suffers, as right now I'm only doing Axle Deads and mainly for grip strength. My knees are slightly annoyed... But it really is very doable. Just keeping my volume low and using an ssb which saves my shoulder has been key, I believe 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.