question for tom black?

Guest woody36

Guest woody36

Tom,

you being the Uri Geller of the grip world,

I read that J.C.Tolson could bend simultaneously four

6 inch long 1/4 inch nails. I was wondering if you or

anybody else had tried multiple bends,and also if you

think you could duplicate this feat of grip strength.

woody.                                                                                                                                                    

I've heard of several people bending two at a time, but four seems a bit much. That's an inch of steel in thickness, but only six inches long.

MCM

I've tried multiple bends, but concluded that cutting off small bits at a time is better because:

• The progression jumps can be made very fine. (I've cut off 1/8 more each week on particular bars).
  • It's cheaper!

My best double bend is 2 Ironmind Whites about a year ago, I think I could do a little better now (I braced my hand for this on my leg).  I've heard David Horne can bend two at once.  In "The Black Log #5" I mentioned that I tried two 60-penny nails together, but only bent them 1/4-inch. I have done recent tests with these nails (article upcoming) and they take 250-pounds of force to bend them 1/4-inch, so I guess a 1/4-inch bend isn't too bad (these nails are probably "Mediums." )  I seriously doubt Tolson could have bent 4 of these nails (1000 pounds of force, maybe if he was an elephant!).  My best guess is that the nails he used were easier, if so,  I can believe that Tolson did perform this feat.  I think Tolson's feat is mentioned in "The Super Athletes." Brookfield mentions some 60-penny nails taking only 150 pounds to bend, but I've never encountered any.  If you had 4 of these it would be 600-pounds to bend.  This would be on the edge of human possibilities so maybe Tolson could have done it.