Woman lifts the Inch Dumbbell

Paul Savage

On 11/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, AdamTGlass said:

NO - Like not even close. The scale of this is like if a man showed up to a double over axle challenge and lifted 700- this inch lift Becca achieved is so far beyond the next best lift a woman has done so far there is no comparison. 

I think 65% of the mens is a good rule in terms of what women should be able to achieve so im guessing its possibly = to a man lifting around a 120kg inch but that might be a bit off due to grip being more about tendons, and less about muscles. Maybe 70% is a better rule but either way i still think she has a lot more in her honestly, ive always thought she has better strength potential than i do and she's still only 27.

• Like 3

My fiancée has the biggest powerlifting total in the UK, benches 320lb raw and trains grip, and yet she tops out around the "baby inch" of 53kg.

She has some of the best genetics for powerlifting, yet is 75kg 5'4" with small hands. The inch would arguably be out of reach for her. 

So I'd throw it out there that it will be a while before we see a woman lift the inch again.

Lucy Underdown has a 300kg deadlift (660lb),yet can't lift the inch. She failed to break it off the ground at the Arnolds uk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Paul, I imagine it has been mentioned before, but…what are the size of her hands?

They are around 8.5 inch id say, ive seen a few other women with the same size hands but it's defo rare.

11 hours ago, PHATMUSCLE COACHING said:

My fiancée has the biggest powerlifting total in the UK, benches 320lb raw and trains grip, and yet she tops out around the "baby inch" of 53kg.

She has some of the best genetics for powerlifting, yet is 75kg 5'4" with small hands. The inch would arguably be out of reach for her. 

So I'd throw it out there that it will be a while before we see a woman lift the inch again.

Lucy Underdown has a 300kg deadlift (660lb),yet can't lift the inch. She failed to break it off the ground at the Arnolds uk.

Thats bloody impressive though with her size hands, it's a short list of women that's lifted the baby inch. Lucy defo has the potential to do it, would be interesting to see if she could lift the middle inch. I didn't actually have any plans on Becca lifting it by the way, it pretty much happened due to her neck tear in that we couldn't load the spine/arms too much and could only train certain things so she ended up twice weekly doing what main lifts she could, belt squats, good mornings etc an then gods of grip events in between all her sets.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Savage said:

They are a bit smaller than mine, maybe 8.5 inch. Gabi's and elizabeth hornes were similar size but defo very big for a woman. Shes almost 6 foot 4 like.

Thats bloody impressive though with her size hands, it's a short list of women that's lifted the baby inch. Lucy defo has the potential to do it, would be interesting to see if you could lift the middle inch. I didn't actually have any plans on Becca lifting it by the way, it pretty much happened due to her neck tear in that we couldn't load the spine/arms too much and could only train certain things so she ended up twice weekly doing what main lifts she could, belt squats, good mornings etc an then gods of grip events in between all her sets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

They are around 8.5 inch id say, ive seen a few other women with the same size hands but it's defo rare.

That’s definitely up there, but by now everyone on this forum knows that lifting the Inch is about a lot more than hand size. 
I used to subscribe to David Horne’s long-ago discontinued magazine, “Iron Grip”, and in the final issue I learned that David’s wife Elizabeth’s hands were slightly larger than David’s. I believe Elizabeth’s were right around 8 inches.

My son is 41 years old, and first got interested in the Iron Game in 2004 when I was in my first grip contest. He saw a couple of guys lift the Inch that day, when it was not exactly a common feat. He “retired” from competitive powerlifting a few years back, but can still DL 600 lbs. Powerlifters are not generally known for their grip strength, so you will be happy to know he was EXTREMELY impressed and flat out BLOWN OUT when I told him about Becca’s feat:”FULL deadlift? Really? No 💩?” It was a level of jubilant enthusiasm from a stranger that was very good to hear, and please pass it along to Becca.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 4

Just catching this.

Breathtaking.

Absolutely fantastic Becca. 

Also, great coaching Paul.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:41 PM, Hubgeezer said:

That’s definitely up there, but by now everyone on this forum knows that lifting the Inch is about a lot more than hand size. 
I used to subscribe to David Horne’s long-ago discontinued magazine, “Iron Grip”, and in the final issue I learned that David’s wife Elizabeth’s hands were slightly larger than David’s. I believe Elizabeth’s were right around 8 inches.

My son is 41 years old, and first got interested in the Iron Game in 2004 when I was in my first grip contest. He saw a couple of guys lift the Inch that day, when it was not exactly a common feat. He “retired” from competitive powerlifting a few years back, but can still DL 600 lbs. Powerlifters are not generally known for their grip strength, so you will be happy to know he was EXTREMELY impressed and flat out BLOWN OUT when I told him about Becca’s feat:”FULL deadlift? Really? No 💩?” It was a level of jubilant enthusiasm from a stranger that was very good to hear, and please pass it along to Becca.

Yeah good to hear that, it literally made me laugh when she first lifted it like it was nothing. She actually did 8 lifts, 4 each hand. Will do.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, anwnate said:

Just catching this.

Breathtaking.

Absolutely fantastic Becca. 

Also, great coaching Paul.

Cheers mate