1 MILLION rep gripper!

Cannon

One of the many cool things about grippers is the interest is high! When this intriguing thread first posted, I counted 35 Straight posts(uninterrupted) Only grippers can have that ability (In Grip) to draw in the masses! That is a wonderful thing, IMO.

30,000 reps completed!

There are some small changes this time. Rating is 145 and spread is down to 2.875".

I watched the HBO documentary The Fastest Woman on Earth. I heard about the events when they happened and this HBO production is well done. I went to high school with Jessi Combs although she was a year before me. I do remember her, but only as a classmate acquaintance in a medium-sized high school in Rapid City, South Dakota. We ran in different circles and I cannot say I knew her. Her story is incredible. Here is a write-up from Motor Trend. Worth watching.

• Like 8

Today the gripper broke! Photos below. 

I was cycling reps and had completed 4000 today and was just starting on the next column on my tracking sheet. At rep #89 there was a *pop*. In my mind I had imagined more of a snappy, shatter sound. Kind of like snapping a candy cane or icicle. But it was more of a pop sound like you tapped a heavy table with a hammer. I was in the habit of draping a loose cloth over the spring just in case it snapped I figured that would thwart any flying shards. I don't think there was anything like that however. 

The spring broke exactly where I expected. Just over the bend where the leg begins to coil. 

The final rep count was 34,089.

In the photos, you can see that the interior of the spring surface is darker than the shiny outside. (The wire surface, not literally the "inside" of the spring at the break.) This is because the springs are tumbled in polishing medium after coiling to achieve the final shiny finish. The polishing medium cannot effectively scour the tight spaces between the coils leaving them with some of the original look of the raw material. 

At this time, CPW has rated about 925 IronMind #3 grippers. For the rating service, we put at least 30 reps on every one of those grippers for a total of 27,750 reps or more. The #3 used for this project received far more reps than all the other gripper combined. That is one heck of a work load!

Right now we are declaring this project finalized. I would have loved to get more reps on this gripper, but at the same time the project felt enormously daunting. If the gripper broke at like 800,000 reps then maybe I would be motivated to try and get one to 1 million. But seeing it break just over 30,000 makes me feel like I cannot even hope for 100k with another gripper. And, after all, over 30,000 reps is a TON. I doubt any other #3 ever received anywhere near that many reps. 

broke1.jpg

broke2.jpg

broke3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Today the gripper broke! Photos below. 

I was cycling reps and had completed 4000 today and was just starting on the next column on my tracking sheet. At rep #89 there was a *pop*. In my mind I had imagined more of a snappy, shatter sound. Kind of like snapping a candy cane or icicle. But it was more of a pop sound like you tapped a heavy table with a hammer. I was in the habit of draping a loose cloth over the spring just in case it snapped I figured that would thwart any flying shards. I don't think there was anything like that however. 

The spring broke exactly where I expected. Just over the bend where the leg begins to coil. 

The final rep count was 34,089.

In the photos, you can see that the interior of the spring surface is darker than the shiny outside. (The wire surface, not literally the "inside" of the spring at the break.) This is because the springs are tumbled in polishing medium after coiling to achieve the final shiny finish. The polishing medium cannot effectively scour the tight spaces between the coils leaving them with some of the original look of the raw material. 

At this time, CPW has rated about 925 IronMind #3 grippers. For the rating service, we put at least 30 reps on every one of those grippers for a total of 27,750 reps or more. The #3 used for this project received far more reps than all the other gripper combined. That is one heck of a work load!

Right now we are declaring this project finalized. I would have loved to get more reps on this gripper, but at the same time the project felt enormously daunting. If the gripper broke at like 800,000 reps then maybe I would be motivated to try and get one to 1 million. But seeing it break just over 30,000 makes me feel like I cannot even hope for 100k with another gripper. And, after all, over 30,000 reps is a TON. I doubt any other #3 ever received anywhere near that many reps. 

broke1.jpg

broke2.jpg

broke3.jpg

thats very interesting.  I'm curious of two things now, whats the average # of closes a gripper can handle? Would some break at 20,000 and others go to 50,000? 75,000? 15,000?

And I wonder how a trainer spring would hold up vs a #3. 

Regardless, thanks for the cool experiment.. 

Edited by Blacksmith513

Oooooo Oh Snap GIF

Well, I did not see that coming! 

@Cannon are you going to inform Ironmind? 

Also, not that we think we know the limit range, will you try this with other brands? GHP7, Grip Genie 5 or Standard Cobalt ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm curious of two things now, whats the average # of closes a gripper can handle? Would some break at 20,000 and others go to 50,000? 75,000? 15,000?

Great questions. We are wondering too. 

2 minutes ago, stranger said:

Well, I did not see that coming!

Me neither!

I don’t think we’ll do other brands. This was mostly for fun. :) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stranger said:

Oooooo Oh Snap GIF

How did you read my mind?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

How did you read my mind?

The High Life binds us!

5 minutes ago, stranger said:

The High Life binds us!

It must...🍻 Heres to a liver that Jeffrey Dahmer himself wouldn't even eat!

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Me neither!

I don’t think we’ll do other brands. This was mostly for fun. :) 

Yes, you could go crazy trying out other brands.. COC #3 is the standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt any other #3 ever received anywhere near that many reps. 

That was an appreciable experiment. If I do about 100 reps with a Trainer (or any other light gripper) more or less two times a week, I would take circa three years to do the same amount of reps. 

And I wonder how a trainer spring would hold up vs a #3. 

Or vs a CoC 4/GHP 9 or 10 with a substantially thicker spring. Probably they will break sooner.

@Cannon Just curiosity. What you will do with the broken spring?

Edited by josé adalton
grammar
  • Like 1

Put it up for grabs somebody might buy it

I wonder what the temperature difference was within the spring when using it for a long duration of fast reps and if this played a part in it breaking.

Edited by Busa
typo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Busa said:

I wonder what the temperature difference was within the spring when using it for a long duration of fast reps and if this played a part in it breaking.

I've thought the same thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

Great questions. We are wondering too. 

Do it. Would be interesting to see how they do. You planned for one million reps so you have the time :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Do it. Would be interesting to see how they do. You planned for one million reps so you have the time :)

hes got you there!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

hes got you there!

Seriously tho, it would be extremely interesting to see how a grip genie or heavy grips gripper holds up compared to ironmind. Since they are made in China and is cheaper. Would be very interesting to see if there is a big difference in quality or not.

• Like 3

I would also be interested the CoC gripper is not my first choice they don't seem or feel as good as they used to as if the whole quality control has lapsed. I feel they are just riding on the wave of people still wanting that No3 certification.

The Standard and GHP are in my view both far superior.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Busa said:

I also wondered if the spring was getting warmed up or even "hot"

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I also wondered if the spring was getting warmed up or even "hot"

We did check on this while doing the experiment. Overall the reps were not fast and there was no additional friction from other sources, strap rubbing etc. Any time we checked the spring, there was no obvious change in temp. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

I was totally dreading it though. 😅

This might be a dumb question...  Since I know you probably haven't tested them, but what are your thoughts springs like on the Vulcan or Barabans grippers? Based on what you know, how do you think they would hold up?

• Like 2

I don’t think anyone actually thought it would get to a million reps….but I’m very satisfied that I can expect that kind of spring performance. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, John Knowlton said:

That is my biggest fear is having a gripper break in my hand. Not that I'm at the level of most of you.

Same here. Only at 118 rgc on platinum standard gripper

On 10/14/2022 at 10:31 AM, Cannon said:

Here are the details about the gripper I will use for this project!

I'm using an IronMind #3 that was just pulled from our current inventory. I grabbed this particular gripper because it has an average spread and also I liked how the 3s on the handles are both orientated mostly right-side up. :cool

I considered the idea of marking this gripper somehow. Ultimately I feel this is probably unnecessary but it does offer another way to confirm "Is that still the same gripper?" I decided that I will stamp "1M" at the top of the handle even though it turns out kind of sloppy. That actually works in my favor because there is really no way I could repeat it exactly. (Edit: Having now actually done the stamps, they turned out relatively well.)

Specifications

Fresh out of the package the spread was 3.003" and the rating was 150. 

That rating was technically the first rep and, as is normal, grippers don't reopen 100% often after a single rep. The new spread is 2.922".

Then I oiled and repped the gripper to complete 30 reps like normal. The new rating was 148 and the the new spread was 2.904". 

It occurred to me that as time goes on, the spot where the handles touch is going to get pretty beat up. We protect against this in our regular rating service, but I would actually like to see this wear on this gripper. The wear could affect the spread measurement so I took a measurement on the outside of the handles in case that is valuable later. 

Finally, I made a sheet that gives me a place to take notes and track 10,000 reps at a time. The goal is filling 100 of these sheets. They will also serve as another record of all the reps and notes along the way.

I think that's it for now. 10,000 reps are going on today!  

package.png

package2.png

1M.png

repsheet.png

Hell yeah. You even stamped 1 million on it. Now it's official.