1 MILLION rep gripper!

Cannon

NICE.

I'm really curious to see how this turns out. So brand new it's 150 after rating it's 148. How often will you rate the gripper in this process.?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:42 AM, John Knowlton said:

NICE.

I'm really curious to see how this turns out. So brand new it's 150 after rating it's 148. How often will you rate the gripper in this process.?

I'm thinking after every 10,000.

• Like 1

What are your expectations. Do you have any idea? What the rating will be at 1 million. Do you think the spring might break before you hit 1 million?

I know ,a lot of questions. But this is very interesting to me. Thank you

50 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

What are your expectations. Do you have any idea? What the rating will be at 1 million. Do you think the spring might break before you hit 1 million?

Haha, I don't really know. I guess I kind of expect the gripper will break. I really really hope it doesn't, but I think it might. The rating will almost certainly continue to degrade but I'm not sure where it will end up. 

148 at start

133 at the end. 

That's my prediction

Anyone else?

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, Cannon said:

The pace of putting on reps and the amount of work is known to me. I spend a lot of time in my shop mindlessly putting reps on grippers for our rating service. 🤠 I know what it’s like, how quickly it can happen, and how much work it entails. The only issue here would be the sustained effort of doing it on 100 different days at least 10,000 reps each day. 

My mouth got me in trouble here and I'm already regretting this statement. :trout

I can see that 10,000 in a day is a lot. I'm going to have to plan these days and make sure they land on days that I don't do any other reps/ratings. It's okay to do around 1000 reps at once and then I really do need to take a small break. I can already tell my conditioning for it will improve. So on a day that I decide to do 10,000 reps it will probably be a "here and there all day" affair.   

I'm already wondering if the smaller ~2740 days for a 1 year pace make sense. We will see. If I'm going to miss days anyway then would the overall average be higher if I shot for less and performed reps on more days. 

Otherwise the last line of my statement above is still true. The challenge is finding 100 days where I'm willing/able to do 10,000 reps.  

Right now I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I'm sure I'll settle into something. I'm at 5000 for today and will get in 10,000 for sure. Tomorrow I'll reevaluate. :happy

• Like 5

10,000 reps in the bag. Listened to some Phoebe Bridgers.  

Rating after 10k is 146. 

Spread after 10k is 2.899". That is down from 3.003" out of the package. A difference of just 0.104". Expressed as a fraction that is roughly 1/10". I think that is phenomenal for 10,000 reps which is already more than most grippers will ever get in their lifetime. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

My mouth got me in trouble here and I'm already regretting this statement. :trout

I can see that 10,000 in a day is a lot. I'm going to have to plan these days and make sure they land on days that I don't do any other reps/ratings. It's okay to do around 1000 reps at once and then I really do need to take a small break. I can already tell my conditioning for it will improve. So on a day that I decide to do 10,000 reps it will probably be a "here and there all day" affair.   

I'm already wondering if the smaller ~2740 days for a 1 year pace make sense. We will see. If I'm going to miss days anyway then would the overall average be higher if I shot for less and performed reps on more days. 

Otherwise the last line of my statement above is still true. The challenge is finding 100 days where I'm willing/able to do 10,000 reps.  

Right now I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I'm sure I'll settle into something. I'm at 5000 for today and will get in 10,000 for sure. Tomorrow I'll reevaluate. :happy

just do whatever would be natural to you and your regular routine.. Thats how you'll get the most honest results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stranger said:

148 at start

133 at the end. 

That's my prediction

Anyone else?

Maybe we will see a pattern after 100k reps. Lost two pounds in the first 10k, there isn't much, but it's only one percent of what he aiming to do.

Maybe 100k will be enough.

• Like 2

If the gripper survives there should be a giveaway for doing rep number 1 million. Would be fun I think 🙂

• Like 2

I have a gripper or 2 choked for  almost a decade at this point, and still haven’t snapped. 

Matt-

do you think reps would be more of a fatigue factor than having the spring clamped with constant tension?

• Like 1

My prediction is 120at the end

• Like 2

20,000 reps completed

Now the gripper is essentially unchanged. 

Rating still 146.

Spread is 2.897" but measuring is fiddly and that is effectively the same measurement. 

Now comes one of those spells where I can't do any reps. I am traveling until later this month. Stuff like that is really going to hurt the overall average, but I'm quickly realizing this is an ultra-marathon, not a dash. 

I have been watching videos from a guy name Summoning Salt. He details the history of speed-running various video games. This Mega Man 2 one is great. Also, the Mike Tyson Punch Out! and "Quest to Beat Matt Turk" videos are great. 

https://youtu.be/d1fQr-2b4d8

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Cannon said:

20,000 reps completed

Rating still 146.

Spread is 2.897" but measuring is fiddly and that is effectively the same measurement. 

Now comes one of those spells where I can't do any reps. I am traveling until later this month. Stuff like that is really going to hurt the overall average, but I'm quickly realizing this is an ultra-marathon, not a dash. 

I have been watching videos from a guy name Summoning Salt. He details the history of speed-running various video games. This Mega Man 2 one is great. Also, the Mike Tyson Punch Out! and "Quest to Beat Matt Turk" videos are great. 

Summoning Salt makes great videos. "The quest to beat Matt Turk" and "4-2" are really good videos by him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stranger said:

Summoning Salt makes great videos. "The quest to beat Matt Turk" and "4-2" are really good videos by him.

The 4-2 vid is nuts what that record has become. I can respect the ingenuity and brute force to find those strategies, but I like the records that are more straightforward gameplay. Punch Out is actually a good example. It’s not like you can punch Glass Joe in a certain way that breaks the game coding causing the credits roll. You have to play through the game with staggering accuracy. I like that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 2:28 AM, Cannon said:

10,000 reps in the bag. Listened to some Phoebe Bridgers.  

Rating after 10k is 146. 

Spread after 10k is 2.899". That is down from 3.003" out of the package. A difference of just 0.104". Expressed as a fraction that is roughly 1/10". I think that is phenomenal for 10,000 reps which is already more than most grippers will ever get in their lifetime. 

The data processing nerd within me can't wait to get every single detail into excel so I can graph it XD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, Cannon said:

The 4-2 vid is nuts what that record has become. I can respect the ingenuity and brute force to find those strategies, but I like the records that are more straightforward gameplay. Punch Out is actually a good example. It’s not like you can punch Glass Joe in a certain way that breaks the game coding causing the credits roll. You have to play through the game with staggering accuracy. I like that. 

Glass Joe, man I haven't heard that name in years. I was more of a Super Punch Out guy.... Gabby Jay YAY

I still tremble in fear when I hear the name Aran Ryan.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, Cannon said:

20,000 reps completed

Rating still 146.

Very interesting. This proves something I have always suspected. That grippers don't change much if anything at all after an initial decrease in resistance. I have not noticed any of my grippers decreasing in resistance. There's no way any of my grippers above #2.5 have got 20 thousand reps. So it's not likely they will change much under normal use.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, Cannon said:

A machine is not on the table. That's not my idea. I am the machine; I will be doing the reps. The only question I was throwing out there was "what gripper?" 

When you said “I am the machine”, some of us presumed you were were using your hands. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

When you said “I am the machine”, some of us presumed you were were using your hands. 

No way. And when a machine was brought up I presumed they meant some kind of automated rig that would just run reps 24/7 and you could go about your day. I could have been wrong about that. 😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Sorry, I had not read all three pages to date. You clarified.

I think the way you are doing it, the choice of a Number 3 was a good one.

i also think that the gripper will not break before 1 Million Closes.

Hubgeezer

Veteran of 1999 IM Number 1 breaking, circa 2007, 1999 IM Number 2 breaking, 2022

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cannon said:

No way. And when a machine was brought up I presumed they meant some kind of automated rig that would just run reps 24/7 and you could go about your day. I could have been wrong about that. 😁

I meant both actually but I wasn't 100% clear on that. That's why I suggested to use the lightest gripper possible. But with a mechanical rig it's of course possible to use any gripper. I think it was a good choice to go with the #3. Although I doubt anyone gets close to that amount of reps on a #3. Maybe more realistic would be a #1 or #2.

But #3 is the standard that everyone aspire to close so it's a good choice in that sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cannon said:

How are you actually closing the gripper? I seem to have missed that part.

I just assumed you set up the gripper the same way you would when doing RGC but instead of using weights you just stomped on the bottom of the strap to close the gripper.

15 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

How are you actually closing the gripper? I seem to have missed that part.

I just assumed you set up the gripper the same way you would when doing RGC but instead of using weights you just stomped on the bottom of the strap to close the gripper.

I believe he said his exact methods was a trade secret. Otherwise we would all open up businesses rating grippers and be multi-millionaires and there are just not enough yachts to go around for everyone.

• Haha 2