1 MILLION rep gripper!

Cannon

On 10/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Cannon said:

20,000 reps completed

Now the gripper is essentially unchanged. 

Rating still 146.

Spread is 2.897" but measuring is fiddly and that is effectively the same measurement. 

Now comes one of those spells where I can't do any reps. I am traveling until later this month. Stuff like that is really going to hurt the overall average, but I'm quickly realizing this is an ultra-marathon, not a dash. 

I have been watching videos from a guy name Summoning Salt. He details the history of speed-running various video games. This Mega Man 2 one is great. Also, the Mike Tyson Punch Out! and "Quest to Beat Matt Turk" videos are great. 

https://youtu.be/d1fQr-2b4d8

I also recommend the mario ones like Mario 64

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, slazbob said:

I have a gripper or 2 choked for  almost a decade at this point, and still haven’t snapped. 

Matt-

do you think reps would be more of a fatigue factor than having the spring clamped with constant tension?

That's an interesting question! What makes a torsion spring more stable: a few full closes or some minutes choked?

On 11/2/2022 at 5:58 AM, John Knowlton said:

Put it up for grabs somebody might buy it

this, it is a nice piece of grip memorabilia

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:24 PM, josé adalton said:

@Cannon Just curiosity. What you will do with the broken spring?

On 11/1/2022 at 11:58 PM, John Knowlton said:

Put it up for grabs somebody might buy it

There are a few replies here that I either missed or neglected to reply. When the gripper broke I chucked everything in a bag and have not done anything. It's just sitting. I figured it would be worth A LOT if it made it to 1 Million and didn't break. I would have felt comfortable declaring it was the only gripper to ever have that many reps. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

This might be a dumb question...  Since I know you probably haven't tested them, but what are your thoughts springs like on the Vulcan or Barabans grippers? Based on what you know, how do you think they would hold up?

I am not sure. I think they would hold up better. The reason I think that is because they are the same as trampoline springs for example. The stress is spread over many coils instead of just 2.4 on a gripper. We have had a trampoline for about 5 years and the same kind of springs are used. My son uses this thing A LOT. Like, more than is reasonable and trying to quantify it would sound like an exaggeration. In the case of the trampoline there are so many springs doing the work, so it's not the same thing at all, but the only reason this comparison is interesting to me is that after 5 years springs have started to break. They all break in the same way; right at one of the connections. They have never broken anywhere mid-coils. Always right at the connection. So that's where I believe it would eventually break on a Vulcan or RB and I think in general it's a more durable type of spring working within the tolerance based on the design. Multiple spring manufacturers have told me that using a torsion spring like we do takes the spring past the intended max stress on the material. Technically, if the spring was being used "correctly" you would never close it past about a parallel set or less. I feel that additional stress and distortion put on the springs the way we use them contributes to them failing earlier. I admit that's a guess, but an educated guess.   

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, LABZSTS said:

Same here. Only at 118 rgc on platinum standard gripper

It wasn't scary. Nothing went flying. It just... yielded. From fitting it together and checking it over, it doesn't look like any material is missing. I actually feel the handle end is more dangerous. You could smack a finger or something if the handles suddenly give up or come together oddly. Not a bad injury, just like you tapped on a table way too hard or got pinched. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, josé adalton said:

That's an interesting question! What makes a torsion spring more stable: a few full closes or some minutes choked?

@slazbob asked about this too. In talking with engineers at spring companies over the years, it does not matter if you keep a gripper choked within the regular range of motion at room temperature. There are two things at play, temp and time:

The first is an issue called "creep". Here is the official explanation: Creep is a type of metal deformation that occurs at stresses below the yield strength of a metal, generally at elevated temperatures. One of the most important attributes of any metal is its yield strength because it defines the stress at which metal begins to plastically deform. In other words, at room temperature, you can expect the spring to perform up to the yield strength with no risk of deformation. Yield strength is the maximum strength that can be applied before the metal changes shape permanently. As in the previous post, using a torsion spring in a gripper taxes the yield strength limits. They are not "supposed" to be closed as far as we use them. This is why the million rep gripper was losing a little strength and spread as the reps went up. If you heat the spring, it happens right away at a much lower limit. So that's the issue of temperature. 

Time is the other concern. I don't have a fancy word for this, but the point is that the stress is the same for a single rep no matter how long that rep takes. If you stop a single close using a choker within the normal range of motion, that's like hitting a pause button on that rep. For lack of a better way to say this, the gripper doesn't "know" you stopped. If you close the gripper once half way, that is the same amount of stress as closing half way and putting on a choker for 2 years. Work done in the choker certainly counts as stress through that range of motion, but no differently than if you moved through that range and the gripper wasn't choked. 

A true expert could probably pick this apart as not being exactly right or over-simplified. But this is my understanding from asking the question to spring manufacturers. Regarding a choker "it shouldn't matter at room temperature".  

• Like 2

I'm curious how long light warmup grippers like the CoC Guide or Trainer will last, and whether or not anyone has ever had one of them break.

I probably average around 40-80 reps on my Guide per week, usually closer to 40. Which means, based on the number of 34,089 reps with your No. 3 experiment, that the Guide should last 8-16 years of these same amount of reps.

Has anyone ever had a high-rep warm up gripper break after years of use?