1 MILLION rep gripper!

Cannon

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I want to highlight this part of my original post: 

The closes would not be done by hand but rather the same process CPW uses to put reps on grippers for rating. I'm not looking to explain much about that except that it uses the same 1" strap for rating, is totally safe and linear for the gripper and performs closes that are fully open to fully closed. The process is man-powered, just not exactly hand-powered. A comfortable pace would probably take around an hour to complete 10,000 reps. 

Three reps per second?

Just now, Vinnie said:

Three reps per second?

Yes, about. I only need to average 2.7 to make it in an hour. And would only be shooting for about an hour. 

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

Yes, about. I only need to average 2.7 to make it in an hour. And would only be shooting for about an hour. 

Could you check the rating every 100,000 reps or so? Would be curious to see how it holds up but I suspect it would remain the same until failure... Are you planning on an Ironmind or Standard Gripper?

• Like 2

The pace of putting on reps and the amount of work is known to me. I spend a lot of time in my shop mindlessly putting reps on grippers for our rating service. 🤠 I know what it’s like, how quickly it can happen, and how much work it entails. The only issue here would be the sustained effort of doing it on 100 different days at least 10,000 reps each day. 

• Like 1

Just now, eman said:

Could you check the rating every 100,000 reps or so? Would be curious to see how it holds up but I suspect it would remain the same until failure...

That is the kind of information I am talking about documenting in the original post. I mentioned tracking the rating and the spread among other things and also taking photos and maybe even posting a time lapse after it’s done. 

1 minute ago, eman said:

Are you planning on an Ironmind or Standard Gripper?

I was soliciting feedback about that but have already probably settled on a #3

1 million reps on a standard gripper would make a good selling point

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Full reps. 😎

This could be clarified slightly. The reps are fully closed of course. Then they are opened as wide as possible without completely losing tension on the strap since that would cause me to have to reset the strap. The resulting reps are roughly around credit card width I guess. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Why did you think that?

Well you said you wouldn't use a machine here:

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

A machine is not on the table. That's not my idea. I am the machine; I will be doing the reps. The only question I was throwing out there was "what gripper?"

So then it's assisted? How many of those reps can you do in a minute?

I'd be surprised no one has gone for 100k or 1 mil by hand with a Guide or something.

I guess it's weights hanging on a strap then or something more complicated? Trying to build your biceps and upper back? lol

This is definitely inspired by that one high rep curler lol

Edited by Dylan
formatting & last line
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

So then it's assisted? How many of those reps can you do in a minute?

Yes, the method is similar to rating a gripper. Again, I am not going to describe it exactly: trade secret. 😬 Saying it is assisted would be accurate. But that assistance is still fueled by man power. It’s not like I have a motor where I can press start and some machine starts closing the gripper. 

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I'd be surprised no one has gone for 100k

Kashtan posted earlier that he put 30k to 100k reps on a Tetting T2 (same as Tetting Advanced) when it broke. 

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Well good luck. #3 is a good choice if it's doable. Will probably snap at 200k reps.

And this would still be interesting. I have never personally seen a spring snap. 🫣

• Like 1

PREDICTION!!

If @Cannonuses a #3 rated at 150rgc it will be around 138rgc after a million. 

Where am I getting these numbers from? Just a wild guess. 

also, it will not break. (Not a fact, just another prediction) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stranger said:

PREDICTION!!

If @Cannonuses a #3 rated at 150rgc it will be around 138rgc after a million. 

Where am I getting these numbers from? Just a wild guess. 

also, it will not break. (Not a fact, just another prediction) 

Noted! I love it. 

Well, okay guys I'm doing this. 

I have a gripper identified. It's a #3 still in the package. I grabbed it off the shelf here, but chose it for couple of reasons:  

1) It has a relatively average spread of almost exactly 3". I can hope for a ~150 start.  
2) The 3s on the end of the handle are orientated nicely so that both are right-side up if shown on video in the common manner. 

Right now I am thinking about what/how to document. I will probably make a distinctive mark on the gripper. I might stamp "1M" at the top of one handle. I did a test run of that on a scrap gripper and it was tough. Turned out sloppy so I might rethink that. Maybe this isn't necessary. 

I will document the starting spread and mounting depth. If a handle by chance comes loose at any point I want to be able to glue it on in the same spot. 

Then I will probably rate the gripper as the first rep. Then do the 30 reps like for our rating service and take another rating. Then it's off to the races. I don't see any reason each time I do a cycle why the 10,000th rep can't be a rating. 

I just want to think about this clearly in terms of pix, tracking reps, taking measurements before I start. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Noted! I love it. 

Well, okay guys I'm doing this. 

I have a gripper identified. It's a #3 still in the package. I grabbed it off the shelf here, but chose it for couple of reasons:  

1) It has a relatively average spread of almost exactly 3". I can hope for a ~150 start.  
2) The 3s on the end of the handle are orientated nicely so that both are right-side up if shown on video in the common manner. 

Right now I am thinking about what/how to document. I will probably make a distinctive mark on the gripper. I might stamp "1M" at the top of one handle. I did a test run of that on a scrap gripper and it was tough. Turned out sloppy so I might rethink that. Maybe this isn't necessary. 

I will document the starting spread and mounting depth. If a handle by chance comes loose at any point I want to be able to glue it on in the same spot. 

Then I will probably rate the gripper as the first rep. Then do the 30 reps like for our rating service and take another rating. Then it's off to the races. I don't see any reason each time I do a cycle why the 10,000th rep can't be a rating. 

I just want to think about this clearly in terms of pix, tracking reps, taking measurements before I start. 

Good luck man... I'm just as excited as you are.

• Thanks 1

Cool idea. I look forward to reading the results

• Like 2

This experiment is so cool! Can't wait to see the results.

The only thing I'm a bit curious of is that you will be closing it alot faster then a human would do. For me it would perhaps be even more interesting if closed at the same speed. But then it would take forever and never be done so I understand why.

@Cannon Do you happen to know what material the COC#3 spring is made of? If its a form of stainless then I will predict that it will not snap after 1M closes, but instead just drop in rating (at least a good 15 RGC), and most likely deform a little (handle width will be shorter, the spring coils will have some separation).

• Like 1

I have had two separate grippers snap their springs. One was a very rate Silver Elite gripper.  I was crushed. 😪

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Lennix said:

The only thing I'm a bit curious of is that you will be closing it alot faster then a human would do.

I don't feel this is necessarily true. For warm-up grippers that I can close for reps, I can close them at this pace. The pace maxes out at about 160 bpm which would be to the tune of "Hey Yah" by Outkast. I can click a Trainer along to that beat although it is fast. Realistically over time putting a million reps on the #3 I will probably fall behind. So then you're clicking along at maybe 140 or 150 bpm. Something like to the tune of "Beat It" by Michael Jackson or "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers. Try it with a light gripper, it's not that bad.

One thing I know for sure is that days that I try and cycle 10,000 reps they will not be in a row. I'll do batches of 1000 or something here and there while I'm working on other stuff anyway.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is my biggest fear is having a gripper break in my hand. Not that I'm at the level of most of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

That is my biggest fear is having a gripper break in my hand. Not that I'm at the level of most of you.

Very unlikely that will ever happen. In 10 years of closing grippers I've only heard of 1 or 2 people who have actually had this occur. As long as your not setting them like Vogt (hand of the spring) then your hands should be safe anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eman said:

Very unlikely that will ever happen. In 10 years of closing grippers I've only heard of 1 or 2 people who have actually had this occur. As long as your not setting them like Vogt (hand of the spring) then your hands should be safe anyway.

With low quality grippers it's very likely to happen if you use them a lot. I've already had two springs break.

But it's not dangerous, at least not with easy grippers. It might casue some discomfort if it's a hard gripper. But in that case it is actually unlikely to happen since you will not be able to use a very hard gripper enough.

• Like 1

Here are the details about the gripper I will use for this project!

I'm using an IronMind #3 that was just pulled from our current inventory. I grabbed this particular gripper because it has an average spread and also I liked how the 3s on the handles are both orientated mostly right-side up. :cool

I considered the idea of marking this gripper somehow. Ultimately I feel this is probably unnecessary but it does offer another way to confirm "Is that still the same gripper?" I decided that I will stamp "1M" at the top of the handle even though it turns out kind of sloppy. That actually works in my favor because there is really no way I could repeat it exactly. (Edit: Having now actually done the stamps, they turned out relatively well.)

Specifications

Fresh out of the package the spread was 3.003" and the rating was 150. 

That rating was technically the first rep and, as is normal, grippers don't reopen 100% often after a single rep. The new spread is 2.922".

Then I oiled and repped the gripper to complete 30 reps like normal. The new rating was 148 and the the new spread was 2.904". 

It occurred to me that as time goes on, the spot where the handles touch is going to get pretty beat up. We protect against this in our regular rating service, but I would actually like to see this wear on this gripper. The wear could affect the spread measurement so I took a measurement on the outside of the handles in case that is valuable later. 

Finally, I made a sheet that gives me a place to take notes and track 10,000 reps at a time. The goal is filling 100 of these sheets. They will also serve as another record of all the reps and notes along the way.

I think that's it for now. 10,000 reps are going on today!  

package.png

package2.png

1M.png

repsheet.png

• Like 12