1 MILLION rep gripper!

Cannon

I mentioned this idea in another thread.

The idea is to put a million reps on a gripper and just see what happens. Will it break? How does the rating change? How long will it take? It would be interesting to document this with specs and pictures taken along the way. There could maybe even be a time lapse at the end stringing together photos and watch the spread degrade or whatever. 

In the other thread, I speculated there is not likely a gripper out there that accidentally received a million reps. The example I gave was a warm-up gripper like an old IronMind Trainer. Let's say someone put 200 reps on that 4 times a week, which I feel is generous. It would take 24 years to "accidentally" get to a million reps. That's with never missing a workout and never doing less than 200 reps. It feels unlikely. The absolute oldest grippers with aluminum handles would only be 27 years old. 

Realistically, I feel this will take 100 days minimum at 10,000 closes per day. The biggest slow-down would be inevitable missed days (for example vacation days away from the shop). The closes would not be done by hand but rather the same process CPW uses to put reps on grippers for rating. I'm not looking to explain much about that except that it uses the same 1" strap for rating, is totally safe and linear for the gripper and performs closes that are fully open to fully closed. The process is man-powered, just not exactly hand-powered. A comfortable pace would probably take around an hour to complete 10,000 reps. That is feasible to sustain over 100 total days especially if those days are not necessarily all in a row. Worst case...maybe a year of total days averaging as low as ~2740 reps.  

The big question... What gripper to use? I am interested in suggestions, just post below. It might be cool if I could put the final reps on by hand. But it would also be cool if it was a #3 or something. In that case, I could either try and train for that level again (I'm not too far off), or let someone else do the millionth rep. (I'm surprised 'millionth' is a word.) I think this gripper would be worth something if it survives. 

What do you think? What gripper?     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Numbers can easily fool people. A million so much that we can't really understand it.

Use the easiest gripper possible for the experiment. Even if you do it will be a challenge for someone to actually do it. Not for strength but just the patience someone need to actually do it. Easiest would be to build a machine that can do it.

• Like 2

I love this idea. 

As much as I want to say CoC#3 I feel like the larger the RGC the larger the possible change in it. So my vote is for a CoC#4. 

Also, what kind of reps will these be? Full, MMS or something in-between? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stranger said:

I love this idea. 

As much as I want to say CoC#3 I feel like the larger the RGC the larger the possible change in it. So my vote is for a CoC#4. 

Also, what kind of reps will these be? Full, MMS or something in-between? 

Full reps. 😎

• Like 1

That would be a tough one. Somebody's going to kill a CoC#3

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

That would be a tough one. Somebody's going to kill a CoC#3

To be clear, the someone is me. 🤗  Even though I am looking for ideas from others about “which gripper?” I would actually be doing the work. 

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Numbers can easily fool people. A million so much that we can't really understand it.

Use the easiest gripper possible for the experiment. Even if you do it will be a challenge for someone to actually do it. Not for strength but just the patience someone need to actually do it. Easiest would be to build a machine that can do it.

I’m with you. Building a machine would be easier. But if you have a machine close at a high frequency, could it heat the spring up and weaken it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’m with you. Building a machine would be easier. But if you have a machine close at a high frequency, could it heat the spring up and weaken it?

A machine is not on the table. That's not my idea. I am the machine; I will be doing the reps. The only question I was throwing out there was "what gripper?" 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I'd do one to 100, 000 by hand. I have faith in the usefulness of it.

Nice!  

I didn't anticipate this amount of confusion, but to reiterate, I am going to do this. I wasn't asking someone else to put 1 million reps on a gripper. I am going to do this and document the journey here. I was just wondering if people had opinions about "what gripper?"

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

A machine is not on the table. That's not my idea. I am the machine; I will be doing the reps. The only question I was throwing out there was "what gripper?" 

Id use what ever gripper you think your body can handle. 

im curious how much if more abuse a 3 would handle versus a trainer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Id use what ever gripper you think your body can handle. 

im curious how much if more abuse a 3 would handle versus a trainer.

I'm curious about that as well, but don't think I can handle putting reps on two grippers unfortunately. 😅

I feel like a #3 makes sense. Not only is it probably the most ubiquitous gripper, the strength is kind of in a sweet spot. The way I put reps on, there is a little rebound the gripper gives when opening the rep. On lighter grippers, the rebound is not much help. On harder grippers, I have to fight against the rebound a little because it's so strong. For grippers from about 100 to 150 the rebound is really nice. @strangerI think that is the main reason I would not go for a #4. The rebound would be work in addition to the close. It kind of doubles the work.  

• Like 1

I did a thousand closes TNS after the each main session as a hitch on Tetting T2. The spring broke in the second year. About 30 to 100 thousand closes were made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm curious about that as well, but don't think I can handle putting reps on two grippers unfortunately. 😅

I feel like a #3 makes sense. Not only is it probably the most ubiquitous gripper, the strength is kind of in a sweet spot. The way I put reps on, there is a little rebound the gripper gives when opening the rep. On lighter grippers, the rebound is not much help. On harder grippers, I have to fight against the rebound a little because it's so strong. For grippers from about 100 to 150 the rebound is really nice. @strangerI think that is the main reason I would not go for a #4. The rebound would be work in addition to the close. It kind of doubles the work.  

Really then, you gotta do the 3... Any other gripper and you'd be left wondering.. It is the standard after all. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Really then, you gotta do the 3... Any other gripper and you'd be left wondering.. It is the standard after all. 

I agree, it has got to be a #3.

• Like 2

How would you do anywhere near 200 a day with a #3. . . 1, 000 a day up to 100, 000 with a #1 as training would be better in my opinion.

Then a #2 up to 250, 000, then a #3 up to 1 mil.

Build the soil.

Edited by Dylan

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

How would you do anywhere near 200 a day with a #3. . . 1, 000 a day up to 100, 000 with a #1 as training would be better in my opinion.

Dude this guy is like the king of grippers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Dude this guy is like the king of grippers.

But 200 every day? Every day for a couple weeks but every day for years?

@Cannon What have you done before that's similar? I don't frequent this forum.

• Like 1

Been thinking about this since yesterday and apparently had a co-worker who tested springs with what he described as a camshaft type setup and a laser marker to count reps. But for a human to pull off the 1 million rep challenge here are some numbers to consider..

3 years = 1095 days

1,000,000 / 1095 = 913 reps a day * Is anyone able to do over 900 reps on a # 3 in a single day - not likely

1 year = 365

1,000,000 / 365 = 2740 reps a day * I think this is a more realistic approach with an Ironmind #1, Trainer, or Sport

Casually on the drive home last night I had one of those cheap grippers that counts reps and did 600 reps in about 25min - Still had a pretty good pump.

Hopefully Paddy Doyle doesn't read this thread 🤨 This sort of madness is kinda his thing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

@Cannon What have you done before that's similar? I don't frequent this forum.

For example, we have put over 400,000 reps on over 12,000 grippers for our rating service. 

• Like 2

Two other thoughts ...

1.) You can alternate hands so your doing half the reps on each hand..

2.) Would be nice if you had some kind of rig that could count your reps for you - Just haven't hashed this part out yet - any ideas ???

4 minutes ago, eman said:

1,000,000 / 1095 = 913 reps a day * Is anyone able to do over 900 reps on a # 3 in a single day - not likely

I want to highlight this part of my original post: 

The closes would not be done by hand but rather the same process CPW uses to put reps on grippers for rating. I'm not looking to explain much about that except that it uses the same 1" strap for rating, is totally safe and linear for the gripper and performs closes that are fully open to fully closed. The process is man-powered, just not exactly hand-powered. A comfortable pace would probably take around an hour to complete 10,000 reps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cannon said:

For example, we have put over 400,000 reps on over 12,000 grippers for our rating service. 

Isn't that with a machine though? I thought you wanted to use your hands.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dylan said:

Isn't that with a machine though? I thought you wanted to use your hands.

Why did you think that?

• Like 2