Training With Rsi

ianders1

Dear Wise Members :bow ,

I've got a nasty repetitive stress injury (RSI) from my work as a technical writer, where I spend 8+ hrs. a day in front of a computer. 2 years ago I had healthy hands, but in the space of 2 months I went from being fine to being unable to tie my shoes or hold a fork. Though it didn't seem lucky at the time, I lost my job, and was able to recover enough to start lifting again and make a partial recovery. I'm up to 365lb deadlifts, but I've still got constant pain and nightime numbness from my RSI. It's not carpal tunnel, but tenosynovitis, which is an inflammation of the sheaths surrounding the tendons.

I ordered Mastery of Hand Strength, COC #1, and the dexterity balls, and have a wrist roller, but I was wondering if anyone here has recovered from a problem like this? I've done the medicine thing (got an ulcer), the rest & therapy thing (went from 130# grip to 60# grip), and the ONLY thing that's helped is lifting heavy weights. I'm confident that grip training can only help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of the disorder you have but I would like to make a suggestion for you. There is a method of joint separation called "traction" or "distraction" that I have seen Dick Hartsell (sp?) speak about 3 times at the National Strength and Conditioning Association's PA State Clinic. Dick is the fellow that designed and sells jumpstretch bands, the same bands that Louie Simmons and his Westside Barbell group have made famous in the world of Powerlifting.

If you have these bands, all you have to do is "choke" or wrap the bands around a sturdy object (doorknob, squat cage, etc.). Take the free end and put the very end of the loop on the wrist with your hand in a pronated position. The band should be on the back of your hand, palm facing down. Next, (lift) your hand up and grab the two sides of the bands with your fingers on one side and the thumb on the opposite side. You are now in position to begin.

Quite simply put, you do a rowing motion, putting the band at tension. This tension, coupled with the appropriate location of the band, should separate or traction the joint. Dick preaches this traction for athletic injuries, especially ankle injuries. I cave used this method for my hand, elbow, wrist, shoulder, ankle, and back pain. Believe me - traction is something that will help you. Besides traction, there are tons of things you can learn for taking care of your hands and wrists and other joints just by searching on this board.

I am sure Dick has a website, but I do not remember what it is right now. Perhaps smitty can tell you. Try sending him a PM and tell him Napalm Jedd sent you.

Also, I would suggest wearing a long glove to bed. Perhaps something like an oven mitt. The mitts will extend to the tendons you are talking about and promote extra circulation to the area over the 8 or so hours that you sleep. It sounds ridiculous, but I learned it from Eric Godfrey, a.k.a. "bender" on this site and I now sleep with gloves on practically every night. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I wish you luck. You have made the right choice in coming here. The Gripboard is number one for Grip strength, but also it is tops for hand care, health and therapy.

"Napalm" Jedd Johnson

How did you do this traction with your elbow, Jedd?

I am taking a few weeks off from lifting and during that time I want to work on some rehab/prehab type stuff, particularly for elbows and shoulders. Thanks

Napalm Jedd, thank you for your detailed reply to my post - I think that traction is a great idea. I've had traction done on my neck/spine at a chiropractor with great success. I also use a form of traction as part of the stretches I do for my hands, where I grab my wrist with the opposite hand and pull. I've never considered using bands to do it, but I'll definitely have to get some bands and give it a try.

As for the mittens idea, I read that in someone else's post and have been trying it the last few nights. Last night was the first night that I didn't take them off in my sleep, and they worked really well. I didn't have any of the usual numbness and slept through the night for the first time in 2 years. Normally the numbness wakes me up 4-10x a night.

I definitely feel like I've found a very good thing with this forum!

Also, in the interest of being a good forum member, I posted this tip the other day on Contrast Baths, which are the single best thing I've found to relieve pain.

I officially started my grip training last night, and my book and goodies from Ironmind will be here on Monday, so wish me luck!

Also, my avatar is my open hand for now - hopefully I'll soon replace it with a shot of me closing some COC grippers!

Edited by ianders1

ianders1-

Good luck with your training and I hope you heal up fast! Injuries are no fun, especially when they take forever to heal. Hell, broken bones usually heal faster than tendons and ligaments.

-HH

As long as were talking broken bones and quoting Buffet - I know what you mean. About 5 or 6 years ago, I got into a drunken fight and my hand swelled up about 3x normal and was black and blue for several weeks. It was only 6 months later when my hand was still bothering me during pullups that I went to see the Dr.

After some X-Rays, she told me that I'd broken it in 6 places and that I was very lucky that it healed right otherwise they'd have had to re-break my hand to fix it.

Hey

Wearing gloves at night works well, just like wearing some good big socks on your feet. Keeps them nice and toastly.

I would suggest getting the supplement MSM as welll, works great..

www.wellnessex.com/what_is_MSM.htm

Jay

RE: ve got a nasty repetitive stress injury (RSI) from my work as a technical writer, where I spend 8+ hrs. a day in front of a computer. 2 years ago I had healthy hands, but in the space of 2 months I went from being fine to being unable to tie my shoes or hold a fork.

Three words: injectable vitamin B-12.

Just do it.