Steve Nuttgens - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Steve Nuttgens

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Name: Steve Nuttgens
Height: 183cm (6ft)
Weight: 180lbs
Date of Feat: 8/31/2022
How Long Grip Training: 2.5 years
Current Grip Training Program: grippers 7 sets max reps working from hardest gripper to easiest once a week. Pinching 5 sets about 5 reps once a week. Rolling handle 3 sets 3-8 reps once a week
Other Training Info: I do powerlifting/bodybuilding training 5 days a week current squat bench and deadlift PRs 415-515-300

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I have been lifting weights about 5 years mostly powerlifting style workouts 

How did you get into grip training?

When gyms closed down from Covid I ordered the captains of crush 1, 1.5 and 2 and started working with grippers. While looking for advice on grippers I found the grip board and that got me into a bunch of different grip training 

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Just be consistent sometimes it takes a long time to make a little progress 

What does your current grip routine look like?

Monday grippers, Wednesday pinch, Saturday rolling thunder 

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

I started with grippers and after about a year or so added in pinch and rolling handle work

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

I have not really changes up my training since I started. I probably should do a little more experimenting though 

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Without a doubt grippers

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

Just do whatever is fun for you if you are not enjoying it you probably won’t keep doing it 

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

I don’t really know I guess any of these freaks that are closing tough grippers like coc 4s. David Shamey, Chez Ivan Cuk to name a few I know of from the grip board there is many more though 

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I don’t know if I would really do anything different still haven’t figured out what even works best for me 

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

Rolling handles especially thicker ones 

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

My 3.5 is my best gripper close, I have pulled I think 195 on both the LBH and the 2 hand flask and about 170 I think on the rolling thunder 

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

I don’t think anything is really a mistake unless you did something to injure yourself. Training is about learning and having fun

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

I don’t really watch enough videos to know what some of the best feats out there are but some great feats I have seen on GripBoard would be David Shamey mm9 close and Ivan Cuk closing coc 4s, 

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Not really just have fun with training 

unnamed (6).jpg

Steve Nuttgens, the 122nd man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

• Like 6

You closed it like there was nothing in your hands but air.  Congrats man

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You closed it like there was nothing in your hands but air.  Congrats man

54 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Congrats man that was awesome!

Way too easy though haha.

Thanks guys 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Super solid close, looking ready for the MM2 right away! ;)

Yeah should be ready just need to work on videoing a little better.